9/18-That lake far from Murray

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Sep 18, 2022.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    I decided to take a nice long Sunday drive with my kayak up to the lake of Donald and Kiefer. I have not fished there since June 3rd. When I arrived I did not know to either pay my respects as the lake is unbelievably low(and probably going to get even lower), or launch my kayak and enjoy a morning of fishing. I did both. The surface was pretty calm, other than an occasional carp jumping trying to fool me to make a cast towards it. There was a little rumblings once in a while in the shallows that was more interesting. I decided to toss a spinnerbait for a bit. After losing a couple bass, I was able to land 6 bass on it. The sad thing is that I packed light and only had that one spinner bait with me and of course what would have been my 7th bass on it freight trained into a tree and the line broke(3 other rods had braid and stupid me was using mono with the spinnerbait). After that, I had a jury-rigged mini A-Rig I put together that a bass happily gobbled up and by now the sun was out and things slowed down pretty quickly. I then started tossing plastics and caught bass on Senkos, Crawbaits, Texas & drop shot rigged Roboworms and one on a ribbon tail worm. Quick note: all the drop-shot bass I caught were tiny as heck...maybe mcfish has a secret he is not telling...ha ha
    Most of the bass overall were pretty small and despite losing a half a dozen or so due to bad hook-sets or them just coming unbuttoned, I was lucky and put 14 bass in my kayak.
    It was a fun morning of fishing, but sad to see how low the water was. During these times you just have to fish what is handed to you, especially since every one of my spots was high and dry.

A few random pics....
    IMG_0405.PNG
    IMG_0415.PNG
    IMG_0408.PNG
    IMG_0410.PNG
    IMG_0411.PNG
    The rest were pretty small.....
    IMG_0409.PNG
    ...and a few pretty green
    IMG_0407.PNG
    A picture is worth a thousand words sometimes......
    IMG_0385.jpg

#1 VinnyBass, Sep 18, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  2. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,264
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Mr. Versatile! Did you switch baits after each fish..hahaha! Or maybe you only caught one fish and took photos with a different bait in its mouth...lolololololol!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +63,874
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  4. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    I did switch baits a lot, but not as often as I usually do. On a normal fishing day, you have seen me switch baits
    so often that if I gave you a dollar for each time I change baits, your wallet would be fat! I always take 4 rods
    so I try to have different things on each rod at all times....I just wish I brought some under-spins and more than one spinnerbait. I did bite the head off of a 8" BPS worm(but not a 4" roboworm like you commonly do) but I guess the bass could sense that I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich earlier in the morning and wanted no part of that worm. :)

#4 VinnyBass, Sep 18, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Big C

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +890
    Mr. Versatility strikes again but I thought you had about twenty spinnerbaits.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,572
    Nice fishing, you can go back to calling it D&K I get the bass lingo now

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086

Actually I may have more than that...but they were sitting in my boat or in my garage. I am pretty sure that you can look back at hundreds of my posts and never even see the word spinnerbaits...ha ha. Yes, they are a great bait that I used more many years ago, but somehow various type under spins pretty much replaced them in my arsenal. I always tend to take too much of a variety of tackle in my kayak. This time I tried to keep it to the bare minimum....which was still a lot. I guess I will go back to taking everything but the kitchen sink and hope my kayak still floats. By the way mcfish...that is how I can change lures every 5 minutes...ha ha

#7 VinnyBass, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    Glad I was able to answer your question on a previous post.
    TGFSDF- Thank goodness for SD Fish :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Professionull

Professionull Active Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    94 Invader 183
    The morning bite was definitely worth it for you. The afternoon bite sucked, only caught 3 and lost 3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    I have never fished the afternoon up there but a buddy(you know who you are) who fishes there often said the same thing.

11. Professionull

Professionull Active Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    94 Invader 183
    I talked to him and a few other tubers that had the same results.

12. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    It’s funny… I’ve never thrown a Tokyo rig at Sutherland……. I know how much you don’t like them so I didn’t wanna upset you using them at your home lake….ha ha

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Ken roe

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +445
    Nice work.
    Even the decent size fish look skinny.
    They should be putting on some weight for the winter right now...

14. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    Yes...I noticed that. Hopefully we will get some decent rains during the winter and the bass
    will eat up lots of shad. :)

15. BassRygg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +340
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    I hear you.

If I take a lot of gear, I end up switching baits too often. If I take a small amount, I always end up wishing I had brought more. All in all, I think simplifying things make for a better fishing day for me, but it's hard to narrow things down.

16. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    It is really hard to narrow things down. I also have some specific tackle for where I will be fishing. Clear lakes like Miramar I bring lighter lines/rods(mono, fluoro for example armed with 6, a couple with 8 and one with 10 or 12. Murray..2 flippin sticks with straight braid and one rod with maybe 8 lb and one with 10 or 12lb test( mono or fluoro). SD River 2 flippin sticks/straight braid, a mag heavy 7 rod with straight braid and one mag heavy rod with 12lb mono. Sutherland: 3 rods with straight braid and one with 10lb mono....then different for Otay etc etc...as the list goes on and on and that is only the rods/reels/line I will use or bring. I also sort out tons of tackle I think I will need and usually way overpack. On my trip to Sutherland, I did not pack any under spins and even though I do not use spinnerbaits too often(or actually hardly ever)....I wished I packed more than one spinnerbait. The bass were deep in the stick-ups in the shallows where a jerk or crank bait would be stuck on every cast. My next fishing trip in my kayak will be filled with every bait imaginable... so if anyone sees me out fishing...the water line will probably be less than 5 inches form the top of my PA 12...ha ha. It may be easier to land the fish as they will be just inches from me...ha ha. :)
    Tight lines to you always BassRygg

#16 VinnyBass, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  17. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,120
    You guys lead complicated lives.I carry 1 Spinning rod with 20 braid, 8,12,17 Leader. i throw my confidence stuff. I do real well, catching many while my buddies are throwing everything but the kitchen sink. Easy to move, easy to fish, easy to maintain. 80% of my fish coming on ZMan Baits and either a barbless Jighead or EWG Hook. 1D17BFB1-859C-4C41-AC39-0DBBE84A694B.jpeg

#17 bendopolo, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  18. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    Thats cool and it works for you by keeping it simple which often is best. I guess if you only have one rod, you may concentrate a little more and tend to stick with a bait you are using. But I have 4 rods in my kayak every trip with different line sizes and baits hooked up and it is a heck of a lot faster to just grab another rod that is ready to go and start working that bait, than to have to re-tie leaders all the time. And if I am working a worm and bass start busting, I just grab the other rod(yes...I have a 2 rod stamp) and I am into the action quickly. By the time I re-tie a bait they will be gone. Nothing wrong with your method as you catch lots of fish, but everyone has their method and reasoning for what works for them.

#18 VinnyBass, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022