9/21/19 - Limits of YFT for 2 - FishNinja is the Shiite

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by geofish, Sep 21, 2019.

1. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,404
    C6B6CA15-365C-4F23-9798-A3A3F06ED53E.jpeg 7749EC7C-E0C9-445F-8AA1-07170AEF4487.jpeg 08C9F14C-8BCE-426B-8D20-250A3B0A7F6C.jpeg E2D77BD9-EA7A-47CD-9923-20ED5E4A762B.jpeg E9E29DDC-A513-4D25-990C-ED15325F391F.jpeg Been teaching my 21 year old (FishNinja) about Private Boat Offshore Fishing. So when he asked me last night, “where are we going?” I told him, it was up to him to decide.....That he was the Skipper of this trip!

Launched SI Boat ramp at 4:00am. There was only one boat already getting bait at the Bait Barge so that was a good sign.

We’re getting to know “the kid” at the BB. He opened up a new pen and asked my son to help him Crowd the bait (my son had never helped before, so he was stoked (hell, I was jealous, I’ve never crowded bait before...)). We asked him how long it was cured and he said, “6 Days” we knew we were getting “good bait.” We were planning to get a scoop, 3/4 in the tank and 1/4 in the bucket. Let me just say OMG! That was the best scoop of my 34 year offshore experience. My son was buying the bait. I didn’t realize he gave him $60. We always tip $5 so a scoop is a $50 spot......As we pulled away, we were both thinking we got a lot of bait......I was impressed as the Skipper of my voyage said, I gave him an “extra tip.” So, I just assumed when he said “keep the change,” he handed him a $50........I was stoked that my son, recognized we were “well taken care of,” and gave him a $15 tip. I’m thinking, “Damn, my boy is growing up!”

We rounded PL a little before 4:30am, to my surprise, he said he was OK to drive out. This was the first time that’s ever happened. He usually sleeps on the way out.....Another something different about this trip.....We usually get burritos on every trip......This trip I picked up from Sprouts a couple “Chicken Pesto Sandwiches on Ciabatta.” So before my nap, we downed a half a sandwich. Both of us agreed how good this tasted and both of us mentioned we were “burned out on Burritos.”

I couldn’t sleep last night. And the chance to sleep on the way out was welcomed. Ironically, my son gets too “jacked up” and doesn’t sleep before a trip.....last night while getting the boat ready for the trip, my son’s legs got attacked by mosquitoes. So he took two Benedryl and got 5 hours of sleep......Good for me.

I wasn’t sure where we were going as I went to sleep in the Cuddy.....When I awoke in gray-light we were stopped on the 302 and he already was dropping a “flat-fall.” He said we were metering fish...... so I dropped a flylined Dine in the water.....We couldn’t get a bite so by sunrise we started to troll. He told me to tie on a Red/Pink Feather. He said, “I don’t care if we catch Skippies, I wanna catch fish.” So I tied on two.

So without telling me or telling me why, he was following a temperature break. It wasn’t until we were heading for home did I realize we headed SE from the 302......

We saw the “Old Glory.” Trolled by at a distance. Then within sight of the “Intrepid,” our starboard outside troller goes off.......boom skunk off as he bounced a 15lb Yellowfin. As I reeled in the trollers, I threw a lot of whole and chunk sardines. Bendo, his bait stick goes off. #2......then he sees a boil and casts out his “Coltsniper” on his “Pinhead” with a “500 Tranx.” I’m thinking , “Dang....that kid is on fire.” He lands #3 YFT.

So, I’m getting “a clinic” on Yellowfin Catching. All of the sudden he’s got 5 on ice!!!!!! I farm 2 bites and I haven’t landed a fish yet......He exclaims, “I GOT MY LIMIT!” I’m feeling like I just got my *** kicked by my son.......

Finally, my bait stick goes off. I get a small measure of my “manhood/fatherhood” back. Finally, I get my “Mojo Back.” I get some points on the board.......Now it’s 5-3......

We’re on 8 fish. We call out out the numbers twice.....Boom.....I’m hooked up.... nice, #9......Then BAM we’ve got a “double,”....#10......He’s on the Starboard rail, bent.....I’m on the Port rail......I kind of with a smart *** tone say loudly, “does that mean I have to gaff my own fish?” I gaff #9, pop his gills and drop him headfirst in a HD bucket 1/2 filled....

Up to this point, we have zero pictures and zero video, so while I’m waiting to gaff his fish, I’m filming with my IPhone in my left hand......My son, of course says “don’t drop your IPhone.” I get some footage and because I’m trying not to lose my phone in one hand and gaff with the other....I make a horrendous “gutt-gaff” in the belly.....Boom-chaka-lakka, we have limits for 2......We look at the time.....10:11am as we count the haul making sure we only have 10......

So, in summary. I got a beatdown.

Final score:

21 year old- 6
    54 year old- 4

1 on a Jig-stop - Red/Pink feather
    1 on a Colt Sniper
    8 on bait

#2 Owner Mutu Circle Hooks
    All bait rods had either #15 or #20 Seaguar Fluoro leaders
    All bait were nose-hooked

The numbers: 22/30
    Water temp: 72.1
    Bait: Awesome

We decided not to try for Skippies or Yellowtail and headed for home......

A very awesome Parker Skipper(with limits) was blasting over the radio 22/30 too.....As we left the area it looked like 20 Private Boaters made it there at high speed. And about 4 Sporties.....

We entered The Shelter Island Boat Ramp at 11:57am! Oh, and yes....He drove the boat in! Home by 12:45pm!

My son was retelling the story to his Mama.....All I could say was “I was only a Deckhand on this trip.” And that he outfished me 6-4....and at one point it was 5-0.....My wife asks, “aren’t you proud of your boy?” Humbled, I say, “I don’t want his head to get too big.” .....a 30 second pause.....and I say, “yeah, I’m proud of him.”

I decided to write this recap (sorry for the novel) because I am proud of my boy. I told him on the way in that he could take the boat out without me.....He gave me the short list of only 2 friends he would ever consider and the reasons why.....I also was inspired to write this because after looking where 22/30 is I had to ask......”Why did you decide to troll SE of the 302? His reply, “I was following the temperature break.” I asked, “did you follow your gut?” He said, “Yup!”

At that I immediately told him how proud I was and how impressed I was of him.......

So sorry for the long read but......I’M PROUD OF MY SON! So I wrote this to let YOU know how proud of him I am.....

Tight Lines all!

#1 geofish, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 51
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,710
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Hell of a run.. nice work

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  3. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,093
    You did good teaching your son, and he did good by showing you how good you taught him, great report. Thanks

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  4. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,404

FWIW and I hope it’s not to late for anyone going out 9/22/19 as it’s 3:30am............I added to my report:

#2 Owner Mutu Circle Hooks
    All bait rods had either #15 or #20 Seaguar Fluoro leaders
    All bait were nose-hooked

Addendum and back story of Fluoro:

I must also add that the Skipper chose and pre-tied all the set-ups the night before. This has historically been my job. However, I must say the past two months I have never questioned or worried about the knots.....And I have never trusted anyone’s knots before.....

And as he’s tying he declares, “I’m a believer in Fluoro.” As he ties on leaders on all the bait rods, that already have Izor XXX Co-Polymer top-shots on top of 60# Daiwa chartreuse colored J-Braid.

I’m historically into as little connections as possible (the more knots, the more chance of a break).....So it’s, interesting to see my checkpoints of my fights......J-Braid........There’s the Top-Shot....cool the RP Knot held........I see color, what’s that another knot.....knot two through the guides....cool the Surgeons Knot held......gaff.....fish in boat.....alright the Palomar Knot held...... and my son tied on all of the knots....... Did I ever say I’M PROUD OF MY SON?........

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Awesome day for sure!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. tjohnson619

tjohnson619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Boat:
    16ft Basstracker
    awesome day!!! i love getting back to SI at noon with limits

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,936
    That’s a great report Geo. What a fun day ( morning ) ! Your son must have been pumped once those clickers started going off, telling him he picked the right spot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. tjohnson619

tjohnson619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Boat:
    16ft Basstracker
    love the sound of screaming drags and clickers when the trollers go off

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. surferjohn

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +577
    Boat:
    Lowe Stinger 175
    Thats awesome!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,114
    Name:
    Kyle
    Guess the fishing runs in the family! Nice work.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +889
    Name:
    Perry
    Excellent! Felt like I was in the boat with you! As I have always said.."God made son's to fish with their fathers."
    Glad to hear you're able to now relax and enjoy the rewards for being a great father! Hope there are many, many more trips for the both of you together.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,721
    Good stuff.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Love it Geo!!!! You and Fishninja are the "fish whisperers"! Loved the report. Great to see you pass the baton. I have fished with you guys on multiple occasions. No doubt the boy knows his stuff- in ANY fishing situation!

Now go catch a bluefin! And save me some toro!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. lone_wolf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,448
    Geo, thanks for the recap - not surprised at all bout fishyninja, hell of a guy to fish with. I was especially impressed by his openness to embrace the wet ride last time hahahaha. Im jus happy yall are open to a lone wolf wanting to join the pack now and again :emoji_call_me:. Thanks again for the anniversary trip last time!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. FishNinja

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. miyafish

miyafish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Uncle,
    I hate being invited to a trip and then reading about what I missed:emoji_face_palm:

Way to go cuz:emoji_ok_hand:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List