9/30- Murray

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by VinnyBass, Sep 30, 2022.

1. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    This morning I was joined by fellow SDFish member seanm, who lives in the neighborhood as we hit the waters of Lake Murray. I always anticipate top water action, but the lake was pretty flat when we started out. We started tossing worms off a point that I may have to re-name it Larry Williams Point, as he has been pulling lots and lots of bass off there lately. After we caught a couple bass on plastic worms, we saw some surface action and grabbed the rods with action baits and headed out towards the middle of the lake. Sean had a bass smack his popper on the first cast out there, but came unbuttoned. Several times they bass swirled around his popper...it was pretty exciting, but these bass have shad on their minds. I have never seen so many huge schools of shad at Murray in decades. It's quite a challenge to have a bass just single out your bait vs tons of shad they are already chasing and gobbling up.
    It was fun trying to track down any type of surface action, and one time we both laughed as we both made casts in the middle of busting bass and both of us came up empty. I keep reminiscing about how easy in the past it was to catch busing bass to Sean, but that was then and this is now. Anyway Sean switched to a jerk bait and me to a spoon and we managed to pick up a few bass. Sean had to leave so after I dropped him off, I decided to hit the tulles before heading home.
    Picked up a small bass out in the middle on a spoon on the way to the tulles but the surface bite was basically dead. I hit a few stretches of tulles and missed my first bite. Dang it! Later down the line I was able to land a small bass on a Tokyo rig/MM worm. I wanted to hit one more spot before leaving. I had a nice bass take off deep in the tulles almost yanking the rod out of my hands after hitting my Toyko rig/Senko but it came unbuttoned. After a few words you cannot say on this site....I grabbed my other rod and flipped a Toyko rig/MM worm for a while and finally got bit. I thought to myself, I was not going to lose this bass and I set the hook so hard that the tiny bass flew out of the water and landed right in my boat. It was a small bass, but I bet that bass will remember that flying lesson for a long time.
    Anyway even though bass were small...it was a fun morning fishing and sharing fish stories with you Sean. Next time you will probably bring ear plugs...ha ha. Tight lines always my friend. :)
    Just a few pics...
    IMG_0585.PNG
    IMG_0583.PNG
    IMG_0584.PNG
    IMG_0587.PNG
    IMG_0586.PNG
    Toyko Rig small bass pic for mcfish to laugh at my facial expression
    IMG_0593.PNG
    And just had to post a pic of the amazing flying tiny bass....ha ha
    IMG_0594.PNG
    Also a big shout out to Paul. Nice seeing you out there catching bass from your float tube. Hope you boat gets back soon. :)

#1 VinnyBass, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  2. seanm

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +313
    Was a great time on the water with the godfather of Lake Murray!! I live so close to the lake and usually find myself at every other lake in the county, but after today I’ll be back! Also nice to meet at some other anglers. Really appreciate the invite!! Thanks for reaching out. Ready to go again

3. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,264
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    The Vampire of Murray!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,440
    Boat:
    Yes
    Sounds like a nice morning at Murray for you and Sean. I don't mind catching small ones, as opposed to not catching any. I'll be at San V. Monday, 10/3. Maybe your new truck can tow your boat up the hill. I might even see mcfish there on Monday. Tight lines my friend and keep on catching em!

5. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    Still need to break my truck in before towing(need to stop driving my old truck and Deb's newly acquired Acura I passed on to her..ha ha)....but hope you have a great day at the V. Maybe mcfish will be there ready to re-start his "Mcfish Mondays at the V" reports and you can share a nice fish report with us too. Tight lines always Brett. :)

6. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,440
    Boat:
    Yes
    Thanks, if I catch a limit I'll be thrilled. Tight lines and hope to see you out there soon. I'll be making Monday's at San V my go to for the next month or so.

7. Vet4Fishing

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +634
    Name:
    Jose Morales
    I was fishing from the bank and caught one.

8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    The worm bite is not as active as is was a while back. I was doing pretty darn well on wacky rigged senkos worked slowly down in the grass and have not even had a tap on them lately. I guess the bass have been a little more interested in filling up on shad. I don't toss drop shot rigs too much, but had to throw them a few times just to pick up a few small bass.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,120
    After fishing both lakes many times this year, I am struck by the number of Bass in Murrey. Big ones, small ones, lots of them. I contrast this with Puddingstone Lake where there just aren’t as many Fish. This Spring all the Baby 6-8 inch Bass were harvested with Tenkara rods and live Goldfish. I hear these Folks eat them whole. Anyway it is tough to put up numbers when you just can’t get bit. The ones you do get are quality fish. Fat and healthy. You just have to work all day for 5-8 Bass. At Murrey, I regularly get 15-20 bass a trip. Plus some big Bonus Bluegill. Enjoy it while it’s good, you guys are so lucky to have so much productive water, close by. Even low water is better than no water! Here is a recent Puddingstone Chunk.

D4028036-4538-4FDF-9C49-3982D0A0A6D6.jpeg

#9 bendopolo, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  10. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    There’s a lot of small bass gobbling up a lot of shad at Murray and hopefully they’ll be a lot of fat bass in the next few years being caught if the shad population stays like this. This year I have never seen so many absolutely huge bait balls of shad like this in decades. I never been to Puddingstone… but if you are catching fish there with those tough fishing conditions it has to be pretty satisfying. Tight lines bendopolo

11. Vito1023

Vito1023 Vito
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,690
    I haven’t been able to get to fish the V but had heard there’s no where to fish from shore, I guess that’s wrong, is easy to get to the shore line, I’ve got to bad knees so I’m always looking for a spot I can fish from shore?

12. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,264
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    There's not much shore to fish at SanV..and what there is, is pretty steep and covered with small river rock...don't really recommend it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +63,872
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Vito1023 , there is a dock there for the disabled folk. Bring some catfish gear...

14. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,264
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Rare photo of Mr. Vinny with his shirt off.... Screenshot_20220927-140304_Facebook.jpg

15. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +63,872
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    My wife just asked me where you got such a recent photo of me...

16. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 7.22.55 PM.png

#16 VinnyBass, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,264
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    When you did that stint with Chippendales...