A couple butts at Bataquitos.

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by B8DHOOK, Mar 29, 2019.

1. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,939
    I had a small job near the coast yesterday, so I threw the rods and backpack in to my cab. I ended up at Bataquitos lagoon at noon and it was bottom of low tide. Looking off the end of the north jetty, I could see a sandbar a 100 yards north with a nice deep trough next to it, so I fumbled my way through the beach rocks down to the spot. I started off with the Kroc spoon with no takers, then I tied on a 3/8 jig head and 4” AA curly tail to the new to me KVD rod I bought from CarpKiller a couple weeks back. 3rd cast and whack ! 20-1/2” halibut. Not a keeper, but put up a great fight on a long cast. Let it go, and caught another little palm sized guy shortly after in the same trough. These surf halibut seem a lot stronger, cleaner, and thicker than the ones you catch in the back bay areas. Anyway, fun day out there on the beach.

12A139B9-0B69-4104-ABE5-F33AB0E8E56C.jpeg

D389B186-52F2-465C-B8C4-D4921063C670.jpeg

21DB5F45-D209-4D44-B811-C13E0D88F79F.jpeg

28617EB5-06C6-4DF2-B1C7-2000154C5A8D.jpeg

2. Smokey

Smokey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278
    looks like some fun action, and near work.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Chazzman

Chazzman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Awesome. Were you fishing the lagoon or were you on the shore fishing the surf near Ponto? For whatever reason, I usually get skunked over there

4. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,939
    I tried fishing the channel leading out to the ocean for a bit, but no takers, so I walked to the end of the north side jetty to look for rips etc. I’m no expert at reading the surf, but looking north 50-100 yards up the beach, I could see a shallow sand bar and a deep clear trough drop off with current sweeping through. It just looked real fishy. I think the rip current hits the jetty and does a back wash sort of thing, and creates the hole. You’ll see it if you walk out to the end of jetty and look north down the beach at low tide.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  5. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,802
    Appreciate the report. Good to see increasing butt activity lately.

I think I can see that trough on bing maps. Anybody know how to tell when the images were taken on maps?

I'm trying to learn to get more "surf literate" myself. It feels great to think you see something and then be rewarded with hook-up. At any rate, good on ya' for finding the right spot at the right time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Chazzman

Chazzman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Likewise. I’ll typically fish foam, eddies, and anything else that differentiates itself from the majority of the water but I know I can do better if I invest more time becoming familiar with other conditions.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,939
    Thanks Bassnbeans, like I said, I’m no expert, but that sandbar was releasing sand like sand dunes in the desert, and the cloud swept over the huge clear trough. Looked like a real good hiding spot for predators looking to pounce.

8. all day long...

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +347
    Solid

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,939
    One other note on this sub legal halibut surf adventure.... I’m tellin ya, the surf Hali didn’t stink.. I don’t think I even rinsed my hands after release. Whole nother ball game with the bay halibut. Bay halibut have a pretty thick slime layer with sand lice / sand fleas ? Under the white side, and they stink pretty frikin bad. Maybe not as bad as barracuda. Maybe not as bad...... but they reek.. I took a fair amount of keepers last year, and cleaned, ate 8 of them, so I noticed much difference in the two first hand. I got to where I would wash the Bay halibut with a towel and spray nozzle before I would even sink a knife into them. Just for fun, I weighed each fish before cleaning, and weighed both the fillets, and weighed what was left over, skin, guts, bones. I got a consistent 55% meat, 45% guts etc... I’m pretty decent with the knife so that’s my percentage and I’m sticking to it. Lol. A thicker fish may very a bit, but those are my findings....

10. Mike maio

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,783
    Name:
    Bigheat
    Nice job. Halibut is always my target.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,029
    Name:
    Chris
    I don't know and a quick browse of the map didn't really seem obvious if you even can. Would be cool if someone knows how. However, even if those maps are even just a month old, the storms blew up all the spots and rearranged all the sand up here. At least, all my spots ha. And with all the sand dumping and beach restoration by Ponto with the hotel construction, things change frequently at Bataquitos I think. Water is dirty on days they dump a lot (flecks of wood and plants etc).

Great job on the flatties though. They seem to be coming in early this year. And plastics seem to be the ticket so far. Underspins are working gangbusters for me.

12. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,190
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    I know how on google earth. Never been a bing fan