A couple hours at Hodges 09/30/15

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by bassgalrascal, Sep 30, 2015.

1. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Also known as Goldilocks and the three basses...and the 50 cent lure....and okay, it's been many decades since I was actually blonde...but here's my report, anyway.

I had a bit of free time this afternoon, so I zipped over to Hodges for a quick shoreline session. I threw my usual suspects (bungee worm, senko, blah blah blah) for about an hour, and then decided to use something that I don't usually pick. A while back, I bought 30 lures for 15 dollars on E-bay. There was quite a variety of oddly colored crankbaits, stick baits and such, mostly in smaller sizes. Since I do a lot of creek fishing, these baits come in handy at that type of venue. But I had thrown one of the lipless crankbaits into my bass tackle and decided to throw it this afternoon. The lure was about two inches long, white with a blue back and an aimless black squiggly line down each side. The hooks were needle sharp and way too small, and the hardware was cheesy at best. I tied the bait on and tossed it. At least the hooks didn't foul with the line or each other on the casts. The lure ran a bit sideways, but at least it had tight wiggle and bounced off the rocks nicely as I retrieved it. I chucked and wound it for a few casts, my mind wandering when....boom, the first little bass smacked the lure. He wasn't keeper sized, but a fish is a fish. A few casts later, another fish took the bait. He was bigger than the first, but still not 15 inches. and yet a few casts later, a third fish smacked the lure. This one was a solid 16 inch football. Now the action had my attention...but no more bites were forthcoming, and some of the ten zillion ants that inhabit that stretch of the shoreline had began to infiltrate my clothing, so I felt that it was time to call it a day.

It's funny how a goofy lure is sometimes just the ticket to get some bites. I used to use Heddon Sonics all the time back in 70s, and those little lures caught me a lot of bass. I usually carry a few modern, good quality lipless crankbaits in my tackle when I am on the water, but seldom throw them these days. I guess I just got out of the habit of using them. But after today, I think that I will remember to give them a toss more often. I think I got my 50 cents worth out of the one I threw this afternoon.;)

#1 bassgalrascal, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  2. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,517
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Bassgal, I have one of those Heddon Sonic lures in my tackle box. My Sonic was a shad pattern and only 2 treble hooks. Caught a lot of bass with it over at Lower Otay in the 70's .

3. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,371
    I used to love to throw the yellow ones or the "coachdog" pattern. The huge hooks on those things were constantly getting tangled up in the line or hooked to each other though. The lure I threw at Hodges is more of a Rattle Trap or Cordell Super Spot shape.
    DSCF0220.jpg

#3 bassgalrascal, Oct 1, 2015
  4. twin22s

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +447
    Boat:
    float tube
    looks like something you get in the "ready to fish" combo at walmart. not knocking it though, its amazing how subtle differences in lures make them work better. showing the fish something they haven't seen before is always the way to go while the "go-to" stuff isn't working.

5. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,517
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Bassgal, try trolling it at Lake Miramar. I had good success with lures with bright colors at Miramar. You are right about the line getting in the treble hooks all the time, it stops the action from the lure.

#5 Meezer_Man, Oct 1, 2015
  6. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,318
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Once upon a time, I had a tiny Heddon Sonic in solid mustard color. The smallies at the river loved that thing...not sure what they thought it was! I still have 4 or 5 regular size sonics in various colors, can't remember last time I threw one of those!

7. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,770
    Boat:
    Yes
    Going "old school" on us BGR? lol Good report and great change up going to the old lipless crankbait....now I guess I need to draw a squiggly line on my Rat-L-Traps... :) Thanks for sharing, as always!