A Fishing Report - 5/28

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by Baja Belk, May 31, 2022.

1. Baja Belk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +150
    I'm not a Big B vet, though I've been a few times. I'm not even a good bass fisherman. In fact, if I had to choose from all the different types of fishing to do, bass fishing would be low on the totem pole. However, I really look forward to the one time a year (or every 3 years, lately) I get to wake up at an ungodly hour and drive out to the sticks and drop a kayak into this big beautiful serene lake and try to catch a fish I'm not very good at catching.

I was lucky this time to bring a Barrett virgin, my good friend who is a kayak fanatic (he has 5), and recently has been focusing on improving his fishing game which blossomed much later than his general love of kayaking. He was kind enough to let me borrow his older Hobie Outback, since my 'yak is a Malibu and I had never experienced mirage-drive. Man, what a game-changer.

He didn't want to wake up as early as I told him we should, and I didn't argue that hard since I had been up at 0300 and tuna-fishing all day Friday. So I knew it was going to be a long one.

We were on the water at 0500 just as it was getting light, but I'm sure we missed some topwater opportunities in the 45 min it took to get back into Pine. I got two quickly on the black buzz bait and then one on a pop-r, and he went 1 for 3 on a propped Spook style bait. Hey, at least we're on the board. It got really quiet and I think in hind-sight we wasted way too much time in the same brushy cove chasing intermittent blowups. Frog, chatterbait, senko, spinnerbait, etc were not getting bites.

It was now late morning and I was getting nervous since I historically have always had a hard time figuring out the midday / afternoon pattern at Barrett, which usually involves finesse fishing which I suck at. I grabbed my drop-shot rod, being the one soft plastic presentation I have some confidence in. I got bit right away and continued to get pretty consistent bites for the rest of the day, all the way down the north side of Pine, and then both sides of Hauser. Bluegill pattern Roboworms and 4" baits got the first few fish but then it was all small 3" fluke-style baits (Fluke Jr, Keith, etc). No one spot really put out any crazy numbers, but the bites were consistent enough to keep the whole day interesting, and my landing ratio was surprisingly solid. When the dust settled late in the day I had caught 20 bass, which won't light this forum on fire but was more than enough to exceed my low expectations for myself. I only lost 3 too, all on pulled hooks, which was pretty good considering I was only fishing 8lb braid with a small 8lb fluoro leader. Lots of fun battles with scrappy 3 lbers in the sticks. My buddy ended up with 7 plus a bluegill, which he was STOKED about. He also hooked quite a few more but had more losses than I did. I found most bites to be about 5-15' off the bank, usually in relatively featureless areas in between two structure points. Protected/calm water held more fish than where the wind was pushing.

I wasn't even going to bother with a report since I figured my measly 20 bass wouldn't help anyone here, but I remembered there's probably a few guys out there like myself who haven't gotten the Big B figured out, and could stand some type of direction toward what was working on that particular day.

No drama at Pigs, not very many people on the lake surprisingly, no yelling or battling over spots. Just a big quiet lake away from everything. The few bass I got to tangle with are just the bonus.

- Belk

(Oh and my buddy is HOOKED, some pun intended)

IMG_5504.jpeg IMG_5506.jpeg IMG_5508.jpeg IMG_5511.jpeg IMG_5514.jpeg IMG_5519.jpeg IMG_5522.jpeg IMG_5523.jpeg IMG_5528.jpeg IMG_5532.jpeg IMG_5533.jpeg IMG_5535.jpeg IMG_5538.jpeg IMG_5541.jpeg IMG_5545.jpeg IMG_5546.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,859
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Nice report! Good to hear from you brother!

3. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,596
    Cool report, sounds like a blast. We were amazed too at how few cars there were at Pigs. Weather was perfect.