A good day, But not really

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Chevy4x4, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Chevy4x4

Chevy4x4 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +163
    Boat:
    1986 Ranger
    Ok so I've been working at this apartment on Carmel Valley road for about a Year and half now I get to fix it up after the renters leave for the new renters new paint and so on and across the street when the tide comes in it fills up these channels with ocean water and I all ways see these fish jumping out there and I have crossed the street and walk over there a few times just to check it out and never have a seen a sign on the side of the road that says keep out or down by the water anywhere . There are lots of trails leading off the side walk down to the water so I think why not on my way out the door this morning I grab my rod and reel and figure I'll hit it when I'm done working , so while I'm waiting for the boss to show I head on over start casting fish are jumping all around but not biting so I slow down the retrieve and Bam there he is then Bam there's his big brother then wouldn't you know it I see the bosses van pull up I hook the stick bait on to the reel and turn to walk away and behind me I hear excuse me sir I turn and see a ranger he wants to talk to me I think to my self I'm good got my lic on me no problem Ha he informs that area is a sanctuary but he can't tell me exactly what for Plants or something I had no idea I tell him there's no signs anywhere no warning just straight to the ticket ...But I did get this one before he got there ...

20171107_135606.jpg

• Like Like x 17
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,790
    No credit for the fact that you released the fish? Gee, they should have signs. I bet that wasn't cheap.

3. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,349
    Well that’s some nightmarish timing there. In their eyes it’s ultimately your responsibility to know where it’s legal to fish, but if it’s completely unmarked, maybe you have grounds to fight it, I’m not experienced in that situation at all though. It should be clear what you violated on the ticket, no? Pretty crappy of the ranger not to explain clearly what the area was, that is kinda their job, isn’t it? Any intel on the area would be appreciated on these pages I’m sure.

Bummer you got burned, earlier this year I saw a little boat with 3 stooges all with lines out, well inside the clearly, repeatedly marked preserve in mission bay, life guard boat goes by, no response at all. Maybe they have no authority over that but I was surprised to say the least.

4. stoned-trout

stoned-trout If it smells like fish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,254
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    Fight it..How much the fine?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Daiwadude

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +296
    Boat:
    Kayak
    E4BEC37B-7D7A-4717-B7C7-992D11A546A8.png
    I’ve always wanted to fish that area, it’s part of the San Dieguito river park. Definitely cannot fish there, but looks very fishy. I didn’t see any signs of no fishing either but I believe it’s written on a sdrp website.

6. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,559
    It's probably the only piece of saltwater I've never fished in San Diego lol. You don't know how bad I've wanted to but couldn't bring myself to do it. Congrats on the fish, but it is in fact a no no zone. At least you know now.

7. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,364
    That sucks man.. pretty amazing how fast that guy was on you though. Like a fly on shnit. That's why I couldn't be a ranger / police. I would have walked up with my ticket book and showed it to you, and said hey I'm going to give you a warning this time, but next time this is what you'll get, and tell your friends too. You were just fishing, not robbing a damn bank...

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,611
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    robbiesmith25 .. You might be surprised at the volume of texts I receive at times, odd hours too (doesn't bother me)! I wish I had half the knowledge people think I have.. Hahahaha.. How the devil do they think we have the option to fish legally? Have to be a head transplant surgeon just to understand the regulations.
    PSA: if you aren't certain, don't do it.
    PSA 2: if you have questions, and my number, if you text me something off the wall (got a pic of a bullseye limpet once.. HOW?!?), attach a brief description and as clear of a photo as possible.. A blurry, grainy photo taken in pitch dark of 'some kind of rockfish' isn't very conducive to a positive identification.. Lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  9. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Someone definitely snitched on you, theres alotta old retired people in that area. I've seen other places near there where they clearly have signs "Do not enter, fine $$$" and theres like 20ppl in there. Wanna snitch on them to make u feel better?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. stoned-trout

stoned-trout If it smells like fish
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,254
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    kayak velocity 13 ft
    I am guessing but I bet you and your lady could of had a seafood dinner cheaper..One expensive bass..I have the phone app to check on areas I don't know..Bass ain't worth squat to me

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. lone_wolf

lone_wolf The Birdsnest Whisperer
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,620
    I would fight the ticket to the max regardless, cant hurt to try, and given the circumstances, you may have a better shot. Im not sure what kind of citation the whorden gave you, but the last ticket i got was 495, that i got reduced to 197. Really sucks that he rolled up on you, and i doubt someone called that early in the morning - my guess is he was already patrolling the beat and happened to spot you with his binocs. Talk about timing...

12. Chknlyps2

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +948
    Name:
    Robbie
    Hahaha, I was in the front of the boat on the trolling motor picking apart bridge pilings when that text was sent to you. They handed it to me and said "what the heck is this?" I had no clue but I said it looked like a ball with a butthole. The next thing I heard was "I'll text coach and ask? When I heard your reply I laughed and said "bullseye.... butthole, almost the same thing"...LOL

13. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,611
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Dunno how, or even if I was right, that was my guess at the time from what I could see in the pic.. Lol

14. Chknlyps2

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +948
    Name:
    Robbie
    kinda looked like this...I googled bullseye limpet.
    brucehall_limpet_slide-65e860a35c0730b841f77785918fd0a542200f09-s900-c85.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,611
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Strange creatures.. Tons of oddities here in our water

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,218
    Wait. That’s a real creature?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,790
    He was releasing them.

18. Chevy4x4

Chevy4x4 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +163
    Boat:
    1986 Ranger
    Lets see if I can answer all this in one sitting :emoji_thinking: Not sure how much fine is gonna be he said it wasn't a misdemeanor it was a infraction . He didn't even know what the code was cause I watched get out his phone and look it up which is understandable with all the ones they have.. I can't even read the ticket it looks like (4601 off trail) But yeh I went back today and took pictures where I was and such , we will see what happens...

Yes I released my all ways do come on Bobber you should know :emoji_v:

yep I found the sign a mile down the road there should be more tho just hope its not an expensive lesson is all ....
    Oh and yes someone did call it in he told me that people around there are a little protective of the bushes down there maybe one of them should go down there and pick up some trash..
    What can I say I'm a bad man for loving my fishing if there's water I'm dropping a line been that way forever.....

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Paulito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,597
    Oh goodness. I always look at pictures before reading and I cant explain how i felt ehen i knew immediately where he was fishing. I was mad that he was fishing a sanctuary and was gonna tell him he cant fish it( remember this was before I read the post). I was horrified because i would be terrified fishing from fear of getting caught. I was envious and so jealous that he got to fish that area regardless. I have dreamt of fishing it and always wondered how amazing the fishing was. That one picture symbolizes a piece of fishing heaven!i would post that picture on my wall along with the ticket. A lesson learned and most importantly, proof that you confirmed to every sd fisherman that piece of water is as fishy as we all dreamt!

As everyone said, fight it. It sucks that you didnt know. Ive had many instances where i found out i should not have been fishing a place i thought okay. I mean cmon, fishinf is recreational to most fisherman and when we see a fishy piece of water all we think is ,"man i want to fish it" not, here let me check my reg book to see if i can fish here". In the sense of damage done to the overall preservation is minimal and so the fine should be reduced. Your intentions were pure and you made a lapse of judgement. You have been compliant as a fisherman and have always respected preserves. After all fisherman preserves and fisherman go hand in hand and you would never deliberately enter a preserve. You missed the signs because you were therr for work and only thought to fish it ehen you saw the fish activity from the house you were fixing up. (Prove with pictures of how likely it was for you to miss the no fishing sign).wish you the best. Hey

#19 Paulito, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,790
    That's why I said, twice I think, that you released the fish. I wasn't there - but I know. :emoji_ok_hand: