A review, and a report

Discussion in 'Bay fishing' started by dj thrillz, Apr 18, 2017.

1. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,283
    So about a month ago, I was approached by a fishing reel company called Piscifun to try out one of their Thunder series baitcaster reels. They claimed to have the same parts in any good reel on the market today, at a fraction of the cost. So of course at first I'm thinking, ok..... I'll sling this thing for a little bit, and sort of expected it to be a below average reel after seeing the prices on their website. But I was still willing to spend a good amount of time with it and give my honest opinion about it.
    About a week goes by and I receive a package in the mail. Opened it up and held it for the first time. It's a pretty nice looking reel!
    A peek...
    7D41E46B-85DE-44F1-9860-2ED2A855427C_zpsueqwcqae.jpg
    After using really lightweight Lews reels for a while, this Thunder series reel felt a bit heavy. Checked the specs and sure enough it was 8.40oz. However, during the actual fishing time, I barely felt a difference, I never thought to myself once that it was simply just too heavy to fish with. So I was happy about that, especially since I've done nothing but cast and retrieve over and over while searching for vinas.
    Anyways, after holding it and turning the handle, which was nice and smooth, I decided to give it the spin test. Spun the handle, disengaged the spool and off it went, only to stop about seven seconds later. I tried my hardest to get it to spin longer, no brakes, loose tension, but seven seconds was it. In my head I was thinking, aha, cheaper reel. So I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the cast.
    I finally get to the fishing grounds and I was a bit anxious to chuck it out there. Opened the trunk, loaded it with 14lb suffix elite camo, tied on a flashminnow and down to the waters edge I went. Remember, I wasn't expecting fireworks after the spin test. But I'll be damned if I didn't cast my lure a mile. I looked down at my spool thinking I must be out of line with the 14lb mono after such a long cast, but this thing has a nice wide spool and there was plenty left on the reel.
    BB9B0CD9-0968-43FC-BFAA-EECC875A0ABA_zpsgsdwo3b8.jpg
    I almost forgot I was fishing because I kept casting it just for fun. Not sure why I didn't get anywhere with the spin test, but the actual casting of this thing is well beyond my expectations. Thumbs up.
    It would take me a few outings to finally catch a fish on it, but it felt really good to put a little load on the reel. Not sure if you guys recall me mentioning catching 6-7 halibut in a couple days at the same spot, but they were caught while using this reel. The drag is smooth, and if I'm not mistaking, it has a max of 18lbs of drag. Biggest fish I pulled on while using this reel so far was a 20" halibut, which made 4-5 runs. The reel performed flawlessly. I've been using the reel for all of my vina hunts so far, and I only caught 4 so far since my fishing time has been limited lately. Biggest one tapped out around 20", but it too was easily handled by this reel.
    It's pretty comfortable to fish with, and even has EVA power knobs on the handle. I mentioned it being very smooth, it has 8 stainless bearings, plus a roller bearing. It has an aluminum alloy frame, magnetic brakes, and carbon fiber drags.

I did make the mistake of not rinsing the reel off after a session and it sat for a couple days, it felt stiff at first but some fresh water and a quick cleaning and it was ready to go.

Is it a better reel than my Lews or Shimano? Maybe not. But, to get all the right parts in a reel for under $100.......$72.79 at the moment..... What a friggen bargain. It's by far the best reel for the price, hands down. I'm pretty sure I'll have at least one more of these reels in my arsenal.
    I am anxious to try out their spinning reels so I can compare them to my Stradic.

In the month of reel testing, here were my totals:
    4 corvina
    12 halibut
    7 spotties(only two bass sessions with this reel)
    3 cudas

I really wanted to try casting lighter stuff for bass but I didn't want to strip any of my 14lb suffix off. Once it's time to respool, I'm going to give it a go.

Thank you to Piscifun for letting me sling it. I really recommend anyone who may be in the market for their first baitcaster or anyone who wants a killer reel for the price to check out Piscifun's products. Good stuff!

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Rudebwoyron

Rudebwoyron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +197
    Boat:
    Hobie Mirage PA14
    What the braking system like?

3. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie SDRC Neophytes: 9
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,667
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    What do you think of your Citica?

4. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,283
    It has magnetic brakes

5. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,283
    Love my Citicas! The Thunder series reel is way better for the price.

6. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,667
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    Can't deny for what that reel says it can do provide I'm tempted... I'm more and more evolving into a fishing Scrooge. I'm thinking about abusing a Revo Inshore that I can take to the yellows.

7. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,667
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,283
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,573
    Slap on some 65 backing, and lets put it to the test tomorrow on some 25to30lb schoolie bluefins

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,667
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    18lbs of drag is enough for blueies, but I wonder if it has enough line capacity...

11. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,215
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Maybe with the wider spool. It would be worth a try I would say. I'm sure it could be fun to screw around with when the rats start getting more active.

12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,778
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Was contemplating one of the bigger off brand spinners for this wsb combo I have on my mind.. Was going to go daiwa opus or A100, might give piscifun or sharky a second look...

13. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,536
    Not to long ago I purchased on Amazon a larger size Spinner by Kastking bait runner 12 bearings and it is smooth like no other spinner that I own including my Shimano Spirex 5 bearing bait runner, I've been impressed so far super smooth. I think it has 22lb' drag I was going to try it out on the 3/4 day trip we were going to do.
    Are there any more plans for a 3/4 day coming up maybe in May?

14. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,667
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    Not one that is organized as a charter... I'm thinking about heading out on the Memorial Day Weekend, missed my chance on Monday because apparently the school district no longer thinks a religion is important enough to abide to a given holiday.. guess I'm going to have to have school on Christmas.

#14 Fat Spottie, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  15. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,215
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    I'm probably gonna be out around that time too. What boat do you usually take? If I go, I'll most likely do the Liberty.

16. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +552
    Name:
    MattL
    Seems like there's been a huge pop in these budget reels all of a sudden. I'm hopping on the bandwagon, just ordered a KastKing Stealth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. George Pusey

George Pusey "chowder"
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,549
    Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Livingston 15ft
    Piscifun makes some pretty nice reels and cheap too. Their reels that have 11bb+ are soo smooth, but I have yet to buy one even though you can find em for $30 on Amazon.

#17 George Pusey, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  18. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,536
    For the price you can't beat it, I have to see how long it lasts but it does look very sturdy.
    I think that Piscifun might be built by the same company and just uses a different name, but yeah now I have more money for more lures, just what I need.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. GutHooKeD

GutHooKeD The Cashmere Panda, AKA the Bamboo Boss...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,622
    Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    14ft skiff
    Interested to see how it holds up after a season, good review Thrillz, do you recall the line capacity?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,667
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    Braid: 185 yards of 30lb.