A winter river report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by flyfishinsteve64, Jan 10, 2019.

1. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Just got back from the lower Colorado. Fishin is still slow. We are still catching one or two fish per session. This time mostly stripers. Small one's not worthy of pics. First day there water was a chilly 57* but it got worse. Second day 46*. The lowest I saw was 45.2* this was all in the first week. Once again fished hard and stuck to our plan. After the first six days on the river I called it quits. I started exploring other option's in the area, Canals mostly. Found a bunch of new one's fished a few with not much luck but I got a better understanding of the system and plan on fishin them in the future. So much to explore out there. I ended up getting a lot of stuff done around the house,serviced a couple of vehicles and got the boat in for its first service.

A few days ago I talk to a tournament guy pre fishing and he was all excited that he caught four bass. Crazy
    I will be working weekends for the next month so I brought the boat home and plan to fish here locally during mid week. I hope I can report on some fish. We will see.

Steve

2. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    06AAB50E-18E8-4298-B467-2AEB5C601357.jpeg sunsets are nice

#2 flyfishinsteve64, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,486
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Damn I miss my Heeler ! Still tear up even after 16 years

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,199
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    11 degrees in one day!? Must have been water flowing from the chilly higher country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Wyatt has gained a lot of confidence over the last couple years. He's no longer afraid of everything and so he doesn't bark as much now and I'm very thankful for that. He's 7 yrs. old and in great health. He's no longer afraid of the dark:emoji_fearful:. Yep believe it or not Wyatt was afraid of the dark. Never had a dog afraid of the dark before. I love this lil pup. They are so smart. Give me 20 mins. Total, divided into two or three sessions and he can be taught most anything. He knows so much I had to quit teaching him new stuff cuz we don't have time to keep working on it. I believe now he know where to stand when I'm casting. Very rarely do I have to tell him to move. He doesn't step on the line or the rods laying on the deck anymore either. He always has my back. Nobody gets near me or my stuff without him letting me know. There have been times fish and game has had glasses on me while fishin and I'm aware something or somebody is near just by the way my dog acts. Sure enough a while later fish and game shows up and lets me know they have been watching me SO THAT ALLOWS ME TO TAKE OFF ALL MY TREBLE HOOKS WITH BARB'S ON THEM BEFORE THEY GET TO ME:)

I want to FISH
    Steve

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    I've seen it happen out there twice now. How are we supposed to catch fish when the water temp. drops that fast. I think its B.S. they need to quit sending us down there cold fricken water.

7. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,549
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Just ask them politely to stop it from snowing up river...problem solved! I have a place in Parker, the sunsets are indeed special. 20180717_200100-EFFECTS.jpg