Active shooter drills

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fins in the Bin, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,702
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Spending my Fathers day weekend with 2 grandsons, they let me know that their school has had about 3 or 4 active shooter drills where the kids don't know if its real or not. Its really pathetic that the 2 sides can't come together on this along with so many others, but this topic should be different.
    How simple would it be to post 2 well armed Marines or National guards at every school. (This wont happen because the Teachers Unions would hate for the military to appear heroic). Its not like any of these school shooters were ever really trained, they just know that schools have zero protection at them. On the other side, why not require a co signer of parents to anyone purchasing a firearm under the age of 25? I guarantee you that if those school shooters parents knew they would be doing time if their half crazy kid wanted an AR they wouldn't co-sign for it.
    We have all seen people like that last goofball that act tough around 4th graders but weighs about 85 pounds when he's carrying a 20 pound bag of dog food and wouldn't have any balls to actually do something tough.
    There are a lot of people smarter than me here but those 2 simple suggestions probably would have solved most if not all attacks on schools and I bet some of you will chime in on suggestions better than those 2. How much harder than the suggestions listed above is it to protect a Sandy Hook or a Uvalde from the unskilled punk shooters (who never should have owned a gun) that prey on the most innocent?

2. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,597
    Spot on. A quick fix that makes too much sense and that is very doable. #3 The next guy who gets away with it gets hung at the closest intersection and is left there for weeks. That’ll stop the next coward from even thinking about it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. A-Train

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,249
    Name:
    Alex
    I think most school shooters have $hitty parents. Maybe I’m wrong. But I disagree with having parental consent under 25. I’ve known plenty of good dudes under 25 that could have an AR without shooting anybody with it, and their parents wouldn’t have consent. I do like more security at schools though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,597
    I get it and agree that 99.95% are good dudes and more then mature enough.. but I like the idea of someone saying yes he is of sound mind right now and isn’t messing with any mind altering crap or showing any signs of delusion. It wouldn’t stop em all but a few bad *** ex military guys at the entrance sure would. It’s sad that we even have to attempt to figure this out.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,702
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I hear you A train and your comment is correct, the freedom side has to concede something that they shouldn’t have too. It’s not right but it’s needed due to the few that ruin it for the many. Thanks for the input.

6. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,702
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I totally agree with the 99.95 percent maybe more mr Toolbox

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,871
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Right there is a major problem!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,933
    Boat:
    It floats
    Divorce rates and not getting the belt = all our problems

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. Exmedicated Fisherman

Exmedicated Fisherman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +642
    Name:
    Steve
    I am not a fan of taking freedom so I can feel a little false security. As in, it is never an option. Mass shootings are not new and we even had sniper drills in elementary school in the late 80's early 90's. The sniper model was the MO of mass shootings back then. It was Columbine where mass shooters changed their technique from sniping to what it is now. These unconstitutional laws will only influence the way the murders are carried out, as they don't address the driving mental issues causing them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,702
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I am not a fan of taking freedom away either, and maybe if the discussion wasn't from MY grandkids it would have blown over me, but this country is going to keep having more and more kids that have ****ty parents, and we need some solutions.
    I think we can all agree here that taking our fishing freedom away is something we would fight for too and we should but a few MLPA's like the one in LJ and on the tip of Point Loma haven't hurt my fishing at all so I can concede to them.
    I cant imagine you think the last Uvalde kids right to buy 2 AR's with his only intention to go to an elementary school and mow down kids should be protected do you? That kid should never been allowed to own a gun or anybody who thinks murdering school kids is good idea.

11. MySanDiego

MySanDiego Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +342
    Here's one from da's prized new york times:
    Imagine that from an outlet that the village da frequents. Who'd of thought.

upload_2022-6-23_8-50-50.png

12. MySanDiego

MySanDiego Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +342
    Here's one from da's prized new york times:
    Imagine that from an outlet that the village da frequents. Who'd of thought.

View attachment 180627

13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,871
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Teaching kids from kindergarten that they are nothing more than higher animals with no intrinsic value does not help!

14. Exmedicated Fisherman

Exmedicated Fisherman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +642
    Name:
    Steve
    Then that kid should not have been allowed in society period. If he was mentally unstable why was he allowed to own a car or anything else that would harm anyone. I believe that any 18 year old should be able to buy any gun they want as long as they don't use it to commit a crime. For every mass shooter there are 1000's of 18 year olds that own the same style firearm and have never hurt anyone. The issue was the nut case was allowed to wonder about because it would be mean to lock him in an asylum. People around him knew he was dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,702
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Agree with almost everything your saying above. Ok then lets agree to put 4 Marines at each school?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,070
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    I come from a broken home , Parents divorced when I was 8 . Lived in poverty to the point of government food grants etc . Father died in a truck crash when I was 12 . Also the first year I was allowed to hunt on my own . Mother murdered by a gunman who needed a get away car from a murder of a mother to be earlier in the day when I was 15 . PISS BE ON HIS ASHES . You know I have never even considered using one of my firearms in the commission of a crime . As far as justice for school shooters or many other crimes that take a life . CAUGHT IN THE ACT SHOT ONE THE SPOT , is my take on it . Don't ask me to give up my arms , YOU MAY NOT pass my background check ! . WR

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • List
  17. Kian.K

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +547
    And what should we do when the local law enforcement is literally on scene within minutes and does nothing for over an hour???

I too think having people at schools and busy public places in general would be a good idea, but these guys were literally there and just let the kids die.... not to mention they tried stopping others from taking matters into their own hands.

I have been to many countries and I will say for example in Italy and Belgium I have noticed that there is heavy military presence at busy public places (transit stations, town squares, shopping centers, large parks, government buildings, etc etc) generally at least one armored vehicle with 3-5 soldiers.

With the increase in these sad events, I think it may not be a bad idea to use national guard or other security force in a similar way.

I remember there was a suspected active shooter at my own high school in los angeles and we locked all rooms and SWAT arrived very quick, max 10 minutes and quickly swept through every single room in the 4000 kid school.

So not sure if its a departmental problem but surely there must be someone held accountable for LE inaction at uvalde

18. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,216
    Screenshot_20220623-145225_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Only the bad guy died and it's barely news

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. THunter

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +166
    My background, as a point of perspective. Retired after 26 years - 18 at San Diego PD, 8 more at the DA's Bureau of Investigations. 8 years of patrol in busy areas, 3 years on SWAT, 1 of those as a Sniper. 8 years on the hostage negotiation team. 5 years on the Witness Protection Team, where we were issued select fire (can go fully auto) HK G36 in 5.56 and did some high risk witness relocations/testimony transfers. While on SWAT, I attended an 8 hour debrief on the Waco Branch Davidian investigation and assault. Eye opening. During one Task Force assignment, we did over 200 building entries every year for the 4.5 years I was there.

LE screwed the pooch in Uvalde - BADLY.

No excuses for it - BUT - Uvalde is a town of 16,000. Small department with a small budget and probably very limited training. The school police is even worse off. That "Commander" probably has less experience in real situations than I did in my first 6 months working Logan Heights. Not bragging, just facts.

Command and Control sucked. It will most likely suck going forward from the summer of burning/looting/defunding/etc. Cops are vilified, hung out to dry, fired and prosecuted. They are afraid of making a decision as they will be the first thrown under the bus in the aftermath.

To me, an active shooter should be put down immediately. Arrive, gear up, go. Too much thinking in the media frenzied second guessing environment today.

EDIT: re cops at schools. We used to sit in school parking lots while doing our reports - until parents, then teachers complained it was too "scary" having the cops around. We were ordered not to do it anymore. Also, School Safety Officers were assigned to schools and covered a few. They learned of problems early on and were able to stop things before they started - not an off campus person being a nut, but... - those resources have been severely cut back.

#19 THunter, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,933
    Boat:
    It floats
    We have a weak crime and punishment system. There is no fear in breaking the law now days. People get 12 years for murder. Heck, people can “legally” steal $700 worth of goods. Back in the day, if you rustled a cow, you’d get hanged. Not many people would risk it. Just my opinion. Most people don’t have any accountability.

#20 camobass, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List