Advice needed

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by JWBee, Oct 16, 2019.

1. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Hey all. So I’ve had this coupon book from Point Loma Sportfishing burning a hole in my pocket since February. My only experience is 4 half day boats and have been wanting to go on one of the longer trips, only problem is they haven’t done any island trips for yt in a while. And I’m not sure if I have enough experience to hop on a tuna trip before I’ve even caught a yt. Is the next month or so my last chance to hop on the mission belle before the season ends? Will they go back to the islands at all before February? Im not sure how the “seasons” usually run, so should I be in a hurry to use these coupons or will I have a bunch of good fishing opportunities before the end of January? Thanks in advance -jack

2. Egorham

Egorham Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +217
    They'll be fishing offshore for tuna as long as they are around and biting. However, I wouldn't be intimidated. When the YFT really bite, they bite better than any other fish in the sea. Just go up to the deckhand when you first get on and let them know it's your first trip like this.

They will probably go back to the Coronados when the tuna move out of range (Could be a week or a month). There's no guarantee the yellows will be there in large numbers and biting then though. There is really nothing like a wide open YFT bite, I'd go go go!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Yes, go have an amazing tuna trip right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,126
    I’m with you I’ve got this gift for a 3/4 day trip from last Xmas and was trying to go last month but it didn’t happen now I’m wondering when the best time would be in the next month as I gather it might be over soon, I know a lot of people don’t plan their trips by Moon phase but in the notes that I have kept during my LMB fishing days I caught bigger fish during the new moon phase and next was full moon and then the quarterly moons that was for fresh water with trout also in those catches. I don’t have many notes on salt water but I’m leaning on going on a Wednesday or Thursday on a new or full moon coming up I’m off work on those days and I figure less people on the boats mid week so if you want to meet up?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Egorham

Egorham Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +217
    The best moonphase for saltwater/tuna fishing is hotly debated. I also prefer the new moon (especially for bluefin) but there's a lot more factors going on in the ocean than your local lake. The timing of tide, swell, water temp, chloro blooms, etc.

Midweek is definitely better, less people on the boat and less boats putting pressure on the fish. I think you're right about a wednesday or thursday. When they are close like they are, they get beat up on the weekends, and sometimes takes a day or two for the smaller split schools to reconfigure into big, hungrier ones.

So if you can swing it I'd go next Wednesday. With the time of the year it is I think getting on them now takes precedent over trying to get the perfect moon phase, but to each their own.

This is all just my humble opinion. Take it for what it's worth. GL

#5 Egorham, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,795
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Get on it, no reason to wait. With that, there is often a great yellowtail bite at the Coronados in fall...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. TJ23

TJ23 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94
    Get on it while you can. If things heat up on a good school... you'll get all the experience you need going forward! Figuring out a YFT bite will only help you with the YT later on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Thanks all for the insight! I guess I’ll stop being a weeny and hop on one of these offshore trips. And I’m glad to hear there still might be some island action before the years up!

9. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Sadly man, Wednesday’s and Thursday’s are tough for me this year. I work nights so I’d have to take two days off to be able to make one of the all day boats. I noticed that the loads for Friday and Saturday are relatively light this week so I might hop on one of those, most likely Friday unless something comes up

10. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Thanks again everyone. As far as gear do you think what I have will cover it
    Sabre 270 w/ sealine 30h 20# mono
    Sabre 670 w/ jig master 25 and 30# mono
    Calstar 665h w/ Baja special 50# mono
    I have a old glass 40# stick but not a specific reel to pair with it

I’m thinking with some 15 flouro I should be good right? I have mustard live bait hooks from 4-2/0 and light wire circle hooks in the same size

11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,795
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Sounds like you're right in the money...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    Agreed. The basic principles are the same.

• Choose the liveliest bait you can, and butt-hook it (ask deckhand to show you)
    • Cast your bait on the windy side of the boat (wind in your face, you're in the right place).
    • Follow your bait, Over/Under to keep bait straight in front of you. If it doesn't swim away from the boat, get a new bait right away.
    • Backpedal your bait so you can always feel it. No slack line.
    • When you get bit, let it run 4 seconds (4 Mississippi), then engage the reel and start winding (no need to "set" the hook).
    • Listen and follow everything that the deckhands and captain tell you.
    You'll be just fine. Just remember that it's supposed to be FUN, so don't stress out. A positive, can-do attitude can smooth over a lot of beginner errors (we've all made them).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • List
  13. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +508
    Name:
    Gabe
    Dude, get on the tuna bite while they’re still here. 100% worth it, a fun experience.

Just be prepared for the amount of trolling you’ll be doing looking for schools. I suggest going with someone you know or someone on this forum to talk to lol.
    I still haven’t caught a YT, but managed to land my 1st YFT on Saturday. Will definitely be doing it again soon... hopefully haha

14. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +228
    I’m hopping on tomorrow! I appreciate all the tips! There’s 7 spots left if anyone wants to hop on

15. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,795
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Knock em out.. pool forward to the report

16. JWBee

JWBee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +228
    I g
    I guess I’ll be bringing a book or extra beer money. Cuz all my friends are lame smh

17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,795
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Make friends with a deckhand or long timer.. talk about bait selection, hook size effecting bait action, equipment that has stood the test of time... You will need to take notes.. haha..

18. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +508
    Name:
    Gabe
    I’d love to go, but literally just went last week and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to justify it to my wife. Good luck, please post a report!

Hope you get to experience the feeding frenzy too! It’s insane!

Phillip and Tony were awesome. What Werfless said, listen to them and pick their brains!

19. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,959
    You’ve got the goods man.. get out there and have at it.