Advice on Fishing from the Sand on the Bays

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Gudelgad, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Gudelgad

Gudelgad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +183
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Hey all, I’m a Dad. I love to fish. But I often have my 4 kids in tow. The older ones love to fish the whole time but the younger 5 year old twins are sorta done after a few spotties (one is like the magic charm, she always gets one on her first cast but that’s another story). I’m looking for a good beach type spot to fish from where me and the older kids can fish but the younger ones can play in the water and sand if they want. I was thinking of Crown Cove from some of the posts I’ve read. Typically fish with ghost shrimp on a c rig from a boat or a paddleboard but wanted to have this as an option when I’ve got the kids in tow. Any other spots you all think might be better?

2. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Lord Pitmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,855
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    Low tide is your best friend. It brings you closer to the eel grass where the fish actually hang out. T Tigs, light weedless set ups and slow presentations typically out perform swimbaits.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,125
    In San Diego Bay, spanish landing has a small sandy spot with a playground right next to it. Hit or miss there tho.
    In MB, tecolote shores, Fanuel park, bonita cove, and I can’t recall if de anza cove has a playground or not but the other ones do. Those are all sandy areas that are kid friendly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. oldfogey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,775
    Name:
    Mike
    Mission Pt and Santa Clara Pt in MB both have playgrounds

5. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,296
    I see a lot of families playing in the water and snorkeling at mission point. They also teach scuba diving lessons there, so good structure.

6. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +183
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Thanks! We go ghost shrimp pumping at Bonita Cove. I’ve tried fishing there off the sand with blood worms and ghost shrimp and haven’t caught a thing. It was closer to low tide so that might have been the problem. Someone else had recommended De Anzac cove. Is the fishing decent back there?

7. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +183
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Great idea, I’ll check it out!

8. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +183
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Great! I have been hesitant to have my kids play at the playgrounds with the pandemic, thus my focus on more of a beach type of environment where we can socially distance a bit better. Hopefully by summer things will be be under better control and I’ll feel more comfortable with having them there and hit up these spots. Thanks for the advice.

9. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +183
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Just looked it up and didn’t realize mission point park is right next to Bonita Cove. Looks like the best of both worlds.

10. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,962
    Fishing off of mission point can also open up a few different species that will stray in from the channel, just for variety. All of which I'm sure would enjoy a tasty ghost shrimp treat. Santa Clara point, especially facing the bay side (as opposed to the cove, which gets crowded af) is a great place, and there are opportunities for pumping the coves there too

11. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +183
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Looked at Santa Clara point on the satellite map. Looks like what I was thinking of. Mission point looks like great spot for fishing too. Thanks for the advice and I’ll be sure to stay away from the crowds.

12. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,125
    That kinda shocks me, normally if you toss ghosties inside bonita/mariners you end up with a multiple species day. If you were using the bigger ghost shrimp, over 3”, that could be a possible reason. I like 2.5”-3” ghosties, they get bit way more. Easier to cast with also. Bigger ones often fly off on the cast, or get pecked to death around the hook. If you were using smaller ones and it was slow that’s a different story, then I shrug my shoulders and call it part of fishing.
    Once upon a time De Anza Cove was great for bass fishing. It’s more of a bait soak zone to me now. But give it a whirl, I haven’t been over there in just about a year and a half now so I’m not up to date on the action there.

13. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +183
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Appreciate the advice as always. I think when I actually fished Bonita Cove it was at a pretty low tide when I was starting my journey as a Bay fisherman not that long ago. I’m going to make a point to try it again when it’s holding more water and see if I have better luck.

14. AzImport

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,962
    Don't knock the idea of fishing mission bay at low tide... Gives amazing access to the eelgrass beds, and that is where a lot of the fish are. You can catch fish at high tide, but low tide lets you skate your lures right over the cover the fish will be holding in waiting for something to swim past and become dinner. Or if you can really make the long casts, even get out past the shallows and have fun hitting the ledges for ambush predators (halibut, particularly)

15. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Lord Pitmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,855
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    What pound test were you using? I’d start with 8lb, or even 6.

16. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +183
    Name:
    Gustavo
    To keep things simple I usually use 10 lb test mono but then have 2 feet of 10 lb test flouro carbon leader on my c rig (some of my rods have 20 lb test braid thus all of my c rigs are premade with a flourocarbon leader). I also often like to fish from the surf and that set up let's be lazy so I can switch back and forth easily. I have a light action rod with 6lb flourcarbon on it that I had been using for my failed attempt at trout fishing a few months back. Maybe I'll try it out in one of the coves.

17. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +183
    Name:
    Gustavo
    This is great advice and I need to hear this because my newbie, over-analytical brain still keeps looking at tide charts all the time to find the best "time" to fish. Once the kids are back in school and I have my Fridays again off from work, I'm going to be able to devote more time to learning more about these techniques. I've tried, briefly, the Kalin's white 4 inch grub on the drop shot with a 1 oz torpedo weight previously. I'd be curious to hear if you think this would be a good presentation for fishing at low tide in the coves near the eel grass. I usually have to give up on it (using lures) after a short time because one kid is tangled and the other one is stuck in the weeds. If I fished with lures all the time I would barely get my line in the water.

18. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,125
    I prefer lower tides. The lower the better. That cove gets pretty deep for MB status, crawl those ghosties next to the moored boats and you’ll have a different outcome.
    If you go to DAC, let us know how you do ;)

19. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,125
    And please do not buy into the “best time” solunar charts. I guarantee you the fish are hungry a couple times a day regardless of what the moon and sun are doing. Move around, try new spots, STUDY them, log your findings, and before you know it the bays will reveal a secret or two to you. You’ll know when to go where or at least have a decent idea. You’ll definitely find what tides you favor at certain spots.
    All my high tide spots are basically vina spots. All my low tide spots are bass spots. Once you get your favorite spots down, the wind is usually the deciding factor where you end up. At least it is for me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  20. AzImport

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,962
    I go typically pretty light fishing mb. Almost always a texas rig, and generally never more than 3/8oz. I've always disliked dropshots through most of there because oh man snags for days, but they do work just fine. I typically only go with 1/2oz in that manner, but that is as much due to thats about as high as my rod is rated. Play around with colors and the such frequently too. One color might not be what they want that day, but another might be fire that day.

And yeah, I've given up trying to keep a line in the water at all fishing with my daughter lol. If she is paying attention she wants the rod I'm using, and if she isn't I don't have the time to pay attention to one at all. Fishing with kids is a pain in the butt when all you want to do is feel that tug lol