Advice on Fishing from the Sand on the Bays

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Gudelgad, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,721
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Keep dreaming. Sometimes you can get those grass shrimp alive with a net... But... They aren't very big, and the limit is 35 if I understand right.. get bit like crazy if you have no. 10 hooks...

2. Gudelgad

Gudelgad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +174
    Name:
    Gustavo
    I’ve heard from some others on the forum that they like using the shrimp from the Asian markets because it still has more of its juices. Not 100 percent sure what this means yet but maybe Vons, Ralph’s, etc rinses it so clean that it loses some of its natural scent. I’m sure other more experienced fishermen on this site can render a better opinion from experience.

3. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,721
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Most seafood at the local grocery stores is "bleached" or whitened with saline solutions of various kinds. A lot of the amino content is removed from the surface of seafood to make it look cleaner..

4. MrMajors

MrMajors Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +807
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    Whelp... that’s the end of the Vons shrimp. Thanks again Werf.

5. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,721
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I mean, it works, but it's not my preference. Asian market shrimp seem to get a much better response...

6. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,960
    Which is why I'm thankful World Market is the closest store to were I live... lol Cheap fresh bait a mile away

7. MrMajors

MrMajors Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +807
    Name:
    Michael Majors
    I live in UTC. I can prob take a trip down Genesee and stumble across a decent Asian market. I’ll try it and see if I notice a bite increase.

#47 MrMajors, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,115
    The problem is.....
    It's winter.
    Soaking shrimp at Bonita Cove/Mariner's Basin in warmer months is the easiest way that I have found to put kids on fish.
    Sticking to the sand flats eliminates the whole stuck-in-the-grass problem. But the number of hungry fish (and different species) that cruise the flats increases geometrically in the summer.
    Pick a day from May through September with a low tide in the morning...be there by 8 to get parking. Pump shrimp first thing, have the kids wade out to cast. Hitting the drop off usually means more bites.
    Two consistently good spots:
    1. Christmas Tree Point is in front of the big evergreen tree. The sand flat is narrower there.
    2. Directly in front of the big square mustard colored building, there's a sort of cove where the water is a little deeper closer to shore. A 30 foot cast puts your bait in 3 feet of water instead of 2 feet...and there are a few rocks scattered around where wandering bass sometimes post up.
    I like to wade out past the end of the cove-adjacent drainpipe and cast at an angle toward where The Kraken is moored.
    Of course, neither of these spots is close to a restroom.
    I seem to get the most bites during the last half of the incoming tide.
    The tides on March 3rd look good...and i would expect to be able to get a few fish between 930 and noon. On a day with a similar looking tide graph in May or June, though, I would be disappointed and surprised if I couldn't catch a dozen fish including four or more species.
    PM me at the end of April if you want socially-distanced company on a Saturday or Sunday....by then I usually have eyeballed the tide charts for the summer months and picked out the days that will likely be most productive for shore fishing this area.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • List
  9. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +174
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Wow that’s awesome advice! I’ve tried fishing from shore several times in the winter and gotten skunked. I just started fishing in the Bays in November so I don’t have a frame of reference for what to expect in the summer time. I’ve gotten a boat rental several times since November and found a great spot that almost automatically produces with either ghost shrimp or bloodworms about 30 minutes before high tide and up to 2 hours after. Then it just dies. Then I wander aimlessly looking for somewhere else to catch fish. Boat rentals are expensive and I’ve been desperate to find somewhere to fish from shore with the kids. Went to Bonita Cove yesterday afternoon armed with a Texas rig with a green colored curly tail and got skunked. It was low tide because my kids were pumping for ghost shrimp (I have them trained) for our boat fishing trip we had today while I fished. I’m really looking forward to Spring and Summer and will PM you when I get the chance.

10. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,115
    Anyone MIGHT catch fish in the cove right now by soaking shrimp.
    Hit it three months from now you WILL get some.

11. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,908
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Don't forget about renting the red boats from Dana landing or over by Coronado. They allow you to go where the action is and kids seem to love them. I always let mine take turns driving and obviously they are contained in a small enough area that you don't have to chase them down to dig a hook out of them. The only liability is that it may fulfill the next need "a family boat".

12. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +174
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Yes, I have been renting the Cobia and Triumph center console boats from Action Sports in Mission Bay. Even though it says only 4 people, me and my four kids easily get under the 900 pound limit so they are fine with the 5 of us on the boat. Seaforth is way more strict. I tried to rent one of their center console fishing boats at Coronado and they said no more than 3 people even if 2 of my kids are under 50 pounds so that kind of makes it difficult to get out on San Diego Bay. We have actually done well fishing around the high tide on Mission Bay in one of the center consoles. We just went yesterday and caught 4 good size spotties and a rock wrasse. A few weekends ago we caught 9 spotties and 3 rock wrasse. My main problem has been finding a good spot where my 5 year old twins can just play in the sand while me and my older kids fish from shore. We can be more spontaneous and there is less whining. After a whole week of doing “zoom school” my wife needs a break so I usually have my 4 kids in tow.

13. Gudelgad

Ratings:
    +174
    Name:
    Gustavo
    Thank you Carpkiller for the great advice. Although it didn’t fit the exact plan you outlined because it was more of an afternoon trip, we started out by grabbing some lunch after soccer practice then heading to Bonita Cove near mission point to pump our ghost shrimp. The kids played on the sand and I got to pump about 25 shrimp before the tide got too high. Then we took them over to mission point. We fished in one spot on the channel side and got nothing but weeds so we moved up closer to the point still more on the channel side and immediately started getting action. I was so happy to see my son catch his first Calico bass. Only had an hour to fish at this spot because we didn’t bring dinner but got a spottie soon after and my daughter almost landed two more but they got loose along the rocks. At the end of the day I got all the feels for all the great advice from this forum. Thanks djthrillz for telling us to keep moving!

1043A4A2-077C-4552-9E7B-2AC563B266AB.jpeg