Ahmed Mohamed 'Did A Really Dumb Thing' By Bringing Clock To School.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Meezer_Man, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,285
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    A Fox News host on Thursday defended the suspension and arrest of Ahmed Mohamed, the 14-year-old student who brought a homemade clock to school that his teachers mistook for a bomb.

Andrea Tantaros said on "Outnumbered" that the Muslim teen did a "really dumb thing."

"This story ... has everyone, I think, scratching their heads," she said. "This clock -- does anyone think that it did not look like a dangerous weapon out of a 'Die Hard' movie?"

Ahmed, a 9th-grader at MacArthur High School in Irving, Texas, brought a homemade clock to school on Monday to show off his love of robotics and tinkering with gadgets. He said he hoped his teachers might be impressed by his abilities. Instead, the student found himself taken to the principal's office, interrogated, arrested and taken to a detention center, where officials took his mug shot and fingerprints. After police realized the clock wasn't a bomb after all, Ahmed was released and all charges were dropped against him.

All the while, the teen insisted that he had simply built a clock.

"We have no information that he claimed it was a bomb," police spokesman James McLellantold The Dallas Morning News. "He kept maintaining it was a clock, but there was no broader explanation."

That's because it was just a clock.

Yet Tantaros still defended the school and law enforcement officials for the actions they took against Ahmed.

"The teacher did her job," Tantaros said. "We have an FBI document out there right now that talks about what to look for. Okay? This is part of it and we've seen terror attacks before. We've seen them use cell phones and innate objects."

Later in the segment, Tantaros conceded that the arrest was "probably over the top," but maintained that the student should not have done what he did.

Tantaros was also critical of President Barack Obama's open support of Ahmed. As outrage spread over the school's and police department's reactions to the clock, Obama, along with other politicians and high-profile scientists, rallied around Ahmed and his passion for science.

"What the president did, by elevating this story to national attention, is he basically got rid of 'If you see something, say something,'" Tantaros said. "And look, Ahmed is a smart kid. He's probably going to go to MIT and make a ton of money, but he did a really dumb thing and brought it to school and the president just elevated this to a national issue that doesn't deserve elevating, frankly."

H/T Media Matters

2. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,509
    It should have been analyzed by someone with half a brain before arresting him.

3. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,619
    C'mon. . . 1/4 of a brain could have figured out it was a clock. If the boy was a different nationality it would not have been escalated. We've got a long way to go. . .

4. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,587
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Thank you....

5. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,344
    This guy could tell it was a clock.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,285
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    I hope Obama saw this video. All parts remove from another clock..

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,340
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    So according to this guy it was a "set-up" at best!

8. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,692
    Hatin on the kid

9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,340
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Seems the kid was used as a propaganda stunt. Jihad is not optional for Muslims and is not limited to guns and bombs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,692
    Seems the kid was put in handcuffs for bringing a clock to school whether he made it or not...this did happen...and most likely because his name was muslim

11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,340
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    A kid was sent to school with a suspicious looking device. Yes, he was muslim. Now they have a headline, and public sympathy. You do not think somebody did this on purpose?

BTW, I believe ANY kid would have been stopped for carrying something that looked like that. They close whole blocks for suspicious looking pipes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,619
    I look at it two ways: Either the boy was trying to pawn off his disassembled clock as his own invention, or he was trying to test the waters via propaganda. Can't see how the 2nd option would work. Now for better or worse he is known to all as a possible person of interest. Why blow his cover now if he or his sleeper cell wanted to go jihad on us?

I feel sorry for this poor kid. If he wasn't inclined to look at more fundamentalist views of Islam before, stuff like this can certainly push someone in that direction.

13. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,811
    What would've happened if he brought that to a airport.

14. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,692
    No I don't think they did this on purpose

15. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,340
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I think it is probable that the kid had little culpability in this. I think he was used by adults.

BTW, the "fundamentalist" views of Islam are those that take their teachings literally. Islam, from its inception, has been spread by terror.

16. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,619
    Remember the Crusades? Kinda seems like roles were reversed then. . .

Literal interpretation of the Bible would be similarly unacceptable in today's age. Slaves, derogatory treatment of women, hate crimes, goes on and on.

Any religion (or anything else for that matter, except fishing ) taken to extremes is not good. . . Holy wars have been part of most religions at some point in history save for perhaps Buddhism / Hinduism. . .

One's religion does not predetermine your propensity for violence or for your virtue. We're all human.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. NocityBS

NocityBS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +365
    If this kids smart enough to make something like this , he's got to be smart enough to know it was a bad idea. This might sound bad to some, but look at his name and look at what happened to our country on 9/11. We are expected to be cautious and we are dumb to not watch Muslims close. Have your own opinion, but that's mine and I'm sure many others as well, I hope. It seems schools are where the majority of our craziest tragedies have been occurring. Caution needed yes. Overboard with the arrest after detainment, yes. Stupid choice to bring that to school on his part, yes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,619
    Well said

19. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,618
    Another point that people are ignoring is that a lot of schools in multiple states had been receiving bomb threats before that day, on that day (I believe) and days after.

20. Paulito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,337
    His name is Ahmed not Muslim, lol jkjk.

I don't blame the teacher, as a person of responsibility, she was cautious, for not only herself but her students. When I first heard the story, I was angry, then I looked at the clock and I started to understand the position of the teacher. I do not think it was necessarily her fault for being racist in such a situation. Although I am ashamed to admit it, I would have thought it was a bomb, the minute I looked at it. No, not because Ahmed is muslim, but like many of you said, It looks like a bomb from the TV show 24. Some say the media brewed up this fear, however there is a very serious , ongoing international crisis that pertains to terrorist acts under the name of Allah. Taking the kid into custody after finding out it was not a bomb is racist, but questioning whether it was a bomb and isolating the kid was a smart move. Unfortunately, the kid who brought the clock was muslim. Many of the processes of the brain that keep us alive are second nature, recessive and reactive responses. Seeing photos of homemade bombs and media coverage of jihad attempts automatically made me think Ahmed walking Into a class with a clock that looks like that, as a bomb. All the same, if I saw an Asian kid walking into the class with the same clock, I would have thought the kid made a mini computer. I don't think it is racist, but rather statistical analysis of real life experience. Statistically most Arabs are actually christian, not Muslim. The majority of Muslims are not even from the middle east. However, the ones terrorizing the world are, which is why statistically many brains automatically would have connected a Muslim with the contraption, as a bomb. Just like many would think a tall person would play basketball, or a skater smokes weed. Part stats, part media. All I am saying is that I feel we need to distinguish racism as a crime from racism as a everyday bias. For example of racism as a everyday bias: whenever I see a Korean person I think that they eat kimchi or korean bbq. I am probably right. I am korean and only a minority do not regularly eat kimchi.

Sorry for the rant, I am just glad no one is hurt, and i am left wondering why the Whitehouse is like a clubhouse for people that have made it into breaking news haha

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.