Am I The Only One?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Gabemorales, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +540
    Name:
    Gabe
    Been trying to target Halibut and Spotties in the big bay recently, giving my baitcasting setup some time in the water as I’ve been pretty much using my spinners exclusively. But maaan, has it been a struggle. I used to kill it when fishing for spotties, and now not one bite. Keitech on a 3/8 jighead was my go to, now haven’t gotten hit once in while fishing plastics. Some of my tackle has had a decent amount of sun exposure, so could that be a factor? Color fades? Scent dies? It’s been a little frustrating. Dropshot, LCs, YoZuris, grubs, flukes, Hot Sauce, UniButter. Nothing lol. Ole reliable, Kroc, keeps the skunk off with at least a Mac or Cuda.

In short, are the spotties not biting as hard as before?

Lastly, don’t leave any ZMan plastics in the sun, they melt lol.

2. DogDudeDrone

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Name:
    Zach Carman
    Boat:
    Feet
    I’ve felt the same way recently, both bays have been damn tough...I used a dropshot after switch from swimbait to chatter bait...thought the dropshot would work but nothing!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +642
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I never do that well in the summer in the bay and typically have to fish the deeper areas which don't usually put up good numbers for me. I'm going on about a month of lame bay fishing and not much better offshore(find fish everywhere that wont eat anything I throw at them) or around the point.
    No the spotties aren't biting for me either but pretty soon it should be 20 fish in 2 hours again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,520
    Hmm.. Ive been doing pretty good recently. Last sesh i got a bunch of legal spotties and croakers.. But I have to admit I have not been getting bit on any underspins or jigparas recently.. For me they just completely turned off... Used to get bit in droves on those.

5. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,350
    From what I've read, and I've been wondering the same thing, the spotties are holding in deeper water, and I'm assuming thats because its cooler. I'm guessing these warm surface temps just are for them and they've down deep.

So no, the spotties aren't biting like they used to. Werfless told me the bite will heat up once the water cools down and then it'll be on. He mentioned spotties are more of a winter fishing target.

#5 toddamus, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +540
    Name:
    Gabe
    It’s weird. I mean I could easily throw some shrimp out there and catch a good amount, but chucking plastics is a lot more fun LOL. To get skunked at Harbor Island is it pretty hard thing to do, it’s happened to me a little more often. Which is sad. Then I watch videos of people like Rodney Marquez and he’s landing them left and right on the same thing I’m using :emoji_joy:

But as we can see on this post, Everyone’s catch rate is different

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,350
    We fish the same way. I was out the last two days chucking swimbaits and didn't have much luck. We all have a way to fish that we prefer, seems like ours are pretty similar. I don't think I'lll be one of those guys that puts some cut bait on a long rod and just sits there and waits for something to happen, just not for me.

8. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +540
    Name:
    Gabe
    Don’t get me wrong, I do fish with shrimp a lot but it’s a little different. Ever fish with Werfless ? It’s more like a throw your line out, set the hook, and reel in all in a matter of seconds lol. But I 100% agree, fishing Bait and wait the way many do is not for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,350
    I've fished with him a couple of times. When I moved out here and was learning how to saltwater fish he was kind enough to show me the ropes and help me get my feet wet. I also come from a fly fishing background, and thats still my favorite way to fish, so its kind of more natural for me to use plastics. And maybe, just maybe, I got used to getting skunked fly fishing in the Midwest.

#9 toddamus, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,372
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Switch up the target gents. Spotties will be back on the chew in a month or so. Calicos are chomping hard off the rocks if you want to chuck plastic... Saying

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +642
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    One more thing to add on my comment about not doing good in the bay, offshore, or on the point. When we put the big boat away a few weeks ago my grandkids still wanted to fish so they are putting the leftover 5" sardines on 20LB set ups and getting bit on every bait. I'm like you and only fish plastics in the bay and typically the inshore too but me throwing all the normal plastics never got me bumped by anything at all. They killed em on live sardines, and they caught some real pigs too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +540
    Name:
    Gabe
    Been catching Sandies at MB also. Not typical for me. But agree on the calicos, been pretty consistent with them on shrimp

Fiiiiiiiiine, the one time I want to target spotties, I’m told not to lol. Well, catch me off the rocks fixing my backlashes
    I’ll be out somewhere Saturday AM,
    deciding between North or South Jetty

13. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,520
    Every drop... Damn mini stingrays can be a pain though

14. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,372
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Calico do eat plastic fairly well, you know, Gabemorales

15. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +454
    Big bay from shore has been mad slow the past few weeks. I even threw on the sandworm for 2 dinks in 2 hours, this was morning flood tide as well. Now if that aint sayin something lol. Buuutttt, the corvina bite has been absolute fire in the mornings on jerkbaits before 8am..

16. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +540
    Name:
    Gabe
    Yeah yeah, I know lol. Getting skunked Over and over makes it difficult to fish plastics haha

17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,372
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Doubt you would blank if you walked LJ or SS and casted to each obstruction and down each trough

18. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +540
    Name:
    Gabe
    Just drop a jog straight down? And SS being Sunset?

19. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,372
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Work every little feature, cast to each rock and down any steep or deeper spot. Don't forget to drift the front of whatever rock you are standing on. Precise distance casting will make you more successful

20. Bassmann86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +704
    The crankbait bite has been pretty good lately. There is a lot of bait in the water right now, I would try a fluke with some pro cure on a underspin. Dark sleepers usually work pretty well too

26423845-79DA-479A-9C5F-DA2BD3797FED.jpeg