Amphib Flats 9-15

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by CraigSmith, Sep 15, 2019.

1. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,922
    With Tomáso this morning. Picked some burritos, met Tomáso at his place about 0555 and launching at Pepper Park by 0630.

Decided to head north and fish the amphibious base flats today. Good choice.

Stopped for our first drift just before 0700 and as I started to peel line of my reel for the first cast I backlashed it. Yes, it is possible to backlash a fly reel. I tossed all the line outside the rod tip over the side to get it out of the way while clearing the gnarly knot I got in my running line. I’m holding the rod under my arm. I feel the first grab and the fish sets the hook itself and I bring it to hand.

Good omen or bad?

Well, same thing happens two more times. Good omen I guess. Three fish without a cast. Pretty much bites every cast for next five hours as we move around a bit, mostly trying to stay at the edge of the flats where it starts to drop into deeper water. North edge, east edge, south edge. Lots of grabs on a sinking fly right after the cast before starting a retrieve. Usually if we would miss a grab we would get another one. Ten to fifteen fish to hand per hour each the entire time. We only had a couple of ten minute stretches without a fish. Most fishing water 8 to 15 ft deep. All bay bass from 6 to 15 inches with one small sand bass. More than 50 fish each.

Clouser minnow flies. I used a chartreuse/white for about a dozen fish but the rest were on something that started as an orange/white clouser with copper flash a few months ago. Tom used a reddish/orangeish/whitish fly.

150 and 200 grain 24ft sink tip integrated shooting head lines (Rio Avid 24 ft sink tip)

Nice warm day with light or no breeze.

Amphibious flats is a great area to fish from a rental skiff. Regardless of wind direction you can fish productive water if the fish are up on the flat. We saw some fly flingers in a rental but didn’t get close enough to say hi.

We quit around noon with fish still biting.

Some pics of Tomáso in action

Ready and waiting for a grab -

C3AEF51E-F4BF-47A8-AD12-6901DDB5DFB7.jpeg

Bendo -

63B23C92-C2B8-4EB9-B9FC-275CE856663B.jpeg

We have seen plenty of spottie pics so I didn’t take any fish pics today.

Here is what’s left of my size 4 Brown over orange over white with copper crystal flash. Mostly just flash left and some short strands of brown and orange buck tail . The head is fat because I have re-finished it a couple of times before. The fly didn’t even have more than 3 or 4 white fibers and 6 to 10 orange fibers to start the day. And the eye pupils were gone before today. It looked like this after an hour and I kept fishing it. Fish didn’t care. I will probably use it again. It’s caught over 150 fish so far.

6C381021-2E7B-4C45-A251-B3C30F750BE0.jpeg

#1 CraigSmith, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +520
    Some hot action, for sure. Way to go!

3. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,361
    Fantastic haul guys, you have way more skill than I hope to gather!

4. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,062
    It was pretty silly out there. Perfect conditions (other than the large number of day-cruisers out there making wakes). Also picked up one corvina (about 16") on an orange grub. Now I gotta clean up my gear, and repack it for Arizona tomorrow ;-).

5. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,062
    It was pretty silly out there. Perfect conditions (other than the large number of day-cruisers out there making wakes). Also picked up one corvina (about 16") on an orange grub. Now I gotta clean up my gear, and repack it for Arizona tomorrow ;-).

6. Joel

Joel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Miss fishing with you and Mr. Smith. Now that I am back in town we need to harass some fish.

7. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,062
    Absolutely! Marta & I are heading to the White Mountains in Az this morning for 10 days. I'll get in touch when we get back.