...and away we GO

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by K-Bo Smack, Jun 12, 2021.

1. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,602
    Name:
    Keath
    It's been an extremely slow and patience-testing start to the '21 surf fishing season for me. I've been putting in my hours, and miles, over the past month only to walk off the beach shaking my head, wondering, "where are the fish?". I've had probably 5 or 6 sessions without even getting a bite. Yesterday I put in a solid 2 hours at the start of incoming tide. Crab beds are absolutely outstanding, no salad, perfect current, beautifully clean skinny water and I didn't see 1 corbina. In fact, so far this year I have only seen a grand total of 2 beans in the skinny. Crazy, right!?! If any of you long-time bean hunters have an explanation for why it has taken so long for the fish to show up I sure would appreciate a reply. To add insult to injury, my phone has been waving "one year ago today, or two years ago today" pictures of nice beans in my hand for the past 6 weeks. It's down right torture. I need to figure out how to disable that feature.

Anyway, went back out this morning from 08:30-09:30 for some more self-punishment. This time I went back to where I had seen those 2 beans last weekend and started the ritual...let the eyes adjust, find the crabs, get a scoop or two (BTW when I say the crabs are outstanding this year I'm not kidding, they are everywhere and perfect sized), pin crab(s) on hook, and let it rip. Water was perfect again today. Incoming height was just right and the set wave would wash about 2" of water over the low-tide crab beds. The skinny was crystal clear and averaged about 4"-6". Spotted some bait fish and a couple stingrays right away and felt like there was at least some potential to at least get a bite. Three other anglers visiting from OC were already in the water throwing LCs. They hadn't had any actions and had been there since 05:30.

I fished for about 30 minutes, casting just beyond the backside of the flats and wasn't having any luck. I had scooped so many crabs that I pinned on new bait after every retrieve. Tried tossing my rig into structure hoping to fine a perch or two, nada. Not even a hit. I still hadn't seen any beans and was thinking that any other year, in these conditions, I would have given myself whiplash from swiveling my head left to right trying to decide which fish to stalk, but no, not this year. And then I got a tick on the line.

I wasn't really paying attention so wasn't sure if I had just bumped over a rock and then felt another tick. FINALLY, a bite. Felt like a perch or a dink croaker so I gave it a second or two and then set the hook. The hookset felt pretty solid at first and I was praying it wasn't a ray. Head shakes and constant line movement told me it wasn't a ray and then I saw copper/bronze flash in the water and knew the '21 surf season had officially started for me. First solid surf fish of the year for me and it was SO fun to run her out. The old girl had her boilers stoked and took awhile to vent all her steam in the skinny water. A couple visiting from France watched the show and was kind enough to snap a pic. Safely released with her belly full of eggs with the hopes she'll get busy and repopulate so we don't have to continually suffer through these slow starts.

Caught at 08:57, 1/2oz C-rig, #4 mosquito, 12"-14" 8lb fluoro leader, 3 crab sandwich
    PXL_20210612_155720505.jpg

PXL_20210612_155756914.jpg

If things had ended the way the session started I was planning to put up a completely different thread that featured a blast from the past. I suspect anyone around 50 yrs old will get it.

Wheres the Beans.jpg

• Like Like x 21
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. TekAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +992
    My theory is fish get tired of eating too much of the same thing. Gorged on sand crabs, they will be reluctant to eat more. I keep sand crabs, shrimp, gulp SW, grubs and switch it up until they like it. No sting ray candy for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,727
    Like the story & glad to hear you got on to one to get off the 0 for. I too am still searching for this season's 1st bean, even to see one, let alone bring one to the sand.

4. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,727
    I think you're on to something there. I remember at a point last year changing baits when beans were visible all over the place and not interested in the sc's. Switched over to some leftover frozen/salted blood worms and rung up 3 beans.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,602
    Name:
    Keath
    Hey Bill, I was beginning to think it was never going to happen. Hopefully your first hits your hand at your next session!

6. Shane T.

Shane T. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +378
    Name:
    Shane
    Awesome catch, K-Bo!

7. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,850
    Kinda funny, the phone thing. That’s something that seems like would happen to me. Thank god I didn’t fish much last year so no pics lol.
    Way to go on the seasonal cherry buster, lost mine today as well. Looks like yours got mine by 3/4” or so, nice pre-kotb battle. I need to get you your tag, let me know when you’re available.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,386
    I had better luck earlier in the year, than as of late... I fished Pacific Beach every morning for a week a while back and didn't see a corb.. Same way up here in North OC and South LA county... No beans in sight... Glad you got that nice fish... Maybe they'll come with the warmer water...
    Butch

9. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,850
    It’s very weird to not see them charging beds by now. I’ve seen more spotfins than beans! And I never see spotfins.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. ChupacabraSD

ChupacabraSD Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Name:
    L. Cruz
    Really nice write-up with great description and photos!

11. BBsurfsIB22

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +101
    K-Bo Smack Nice Catch & use the nostalgic Wendy’s ad!!!

12. Gudelgad

Gudelgad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +277
    Name:
    Gustavo
    It’s great to hear this story. Sounds like a common theme of not seeing much in the way of Corbina. I’d actually gotten excited back in mid April because Spring Break was amazing for surf perch and YFC. My son even caught a few dink Corbina and I thought it was all just around the corner. May has just frankly been dismal. I’ve thrown my best stuff out there- freshly pumped ghost shrimp, perfect size sand crabs, and blood worms. Most sessions just one or two surf perch. I’m hoping that a killer Corbina season is just around the corner.

13. YNW_FISHY

YNW_FISHY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    I got a nice bean yesterday in the salad

E7D380F0-112E-422E-B9C5-6DF8556E7845.jpeg

14. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,727
    If at the MB salad bowl, that's persistence !

15. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,602
    Name:
    Keath
  16. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,602
    Name:
    Keath
    I usually take a sack of bloodworms with me earlier in the season too. This year I felt like it was just wasting money and mainly fished with lures. Bloodworms will probably go back into the bait belt now that the beans have shown up. Good luck out there and looking forward to seeing reports of productive sessions.

17. YNW_FISHY

Ratings:
    +325
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    This was silver strand for me. Fought really well. Lots of salad tho

18. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,727
    Good size one; eating well.

19. YNW_FISHY

Ratings:
    +325
    Name:
    YNWGEEZY
    Yeah i let him go i have never tried eating a corbina. Maybe i should someday. He was big, really fun fight.

20. Saltnewbie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,201
    Name:
    Brad
    Awesome Keath! Glad you were finally able to get on one brother.