Another Heavy Weight???...

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Midnightpass, May 28, 2020.

1. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +608
    I'm still in Pacific Beach, and have been fishing every morning since Saturday's corbina heavy weight slug fest, except Sunday and Monday.... Not fantastic catching but no skunks.... 2 or 3 corbina, YFC or BSP very day... This evening I tried my 1st non morning session, for 1/2-3/4 of an hour... 3-YFC, 1-corbina.... I also lost a nicer grad corb at the dry pack, on what was going to be my last cast... After my lost corb, I saw I had a 1/2" of blood worm left on the hook... So out it goes, and bingo, a huge hit.... This thing hard charges straight out, then slows, but pulls hard... I have my drag as tight as my 4# leader will take... I'm soon down to metal on the spool, so I need to start palming it, and the leader breaks with about 4-5 wraps left on the spool... No wing beats or tail slaps, so no bat ray or shark... I would think really large halibut, but no head shakes.... Man, would I love to see that fish...

Butch

2. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,040
    Big, beefy spotfin, maybe???

Man, those fights are exhilarating, but so frustrating when you don’t at least see what you’ve hooked.

Sounds like you’ve had a great week!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +608
    Could be... My last session down here before heading home was a 1-1/2 hour excursion this morning... I got 1-18"-19" spotfin croaker... 1-17" corbina..... 1-YFC.... And 4-bared serf perch.... So maybe that freight train last night was a monster SFC... Sadly, I'll never know...:emoji_cry:..... Thanks again for all the help, advice and well wishes... As the Governator said.... "I'll be back"....
    Butch

DSCN3884cs1.jpg

4. Chevy4x4

Chevy4x4 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    Boat:
    1986 Ranger
    Nice post had me going on the edge my seat is it possible to be more bummed out then the poster about losing that one? probably not but i was into it lol .. sorry ya lost him, sounds like a hella good time tho bro....Times like those keep ya looking forward to the next time at least for me they do.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List