Another Late Thread.. Sorry

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,558
    Just got so much going on right now that I seriously cant find time to get things posted as I should. Apologies.

Did a Friday morning session with Capt Woody at Shelter Island. Tide was inbound at a nominal clip, pushing 63 degrees worth of water around the moored boats and sand beach that we use as a launch spot. Outside temp was beautiful, and the sunrise was absolutely spectacular. Really makes you stop and think about how lucky we truly are to live in a place where we can more-or-less comfortably fish year round.

SunUp.JPG

SunUp2.JPG

Didn't do so great as we kicked into the current. Not sure what was going on. Had a heck of a time finding fish though.. looked in all levels that were available to us.. 10-12', 15-18' and 20'+. There were very few blips on the sonar. Passed the last westernmost moored boat and kept going another 200' or so just to see if maybe they were out in the open.. they weren't really there. Wood picked up a few, but I dont remember doing so well.

WoodyBend.JPG

Turned around and let the current push us back through the boats. Naturally, the hits started coming. Makes me wonder if salt fish behave exactly as stream trout behave - they face themselves into the current and watch as food in the current comes right to their dinner table.

Spot.JPG

Spot2.JPG

Watched in absolute amazement as a fishing boat maybe 30' long - like a Gilligans Island-style boat if you will - went by the outermost line of moored boats without being trimmed. The azz end of this boat was riding near up to the deck looking like it was taking on water, and the wake it made going by was was unreal. We saw it coming, and I didnt know whether I should take the waves sideways or from the back to front. Sideways won out, and I hung on as everything and anything in the way got rocked by the idiot that clearly couldn't figure out how to trim his boat. Here's a quick pic of the incoming waves - which still dont do the ride we got any justice..

TrimIssue.JPG

When we got back to the wall area, I think my number was 11.. maybe even lower. And I remarked to Woody that I was going to take 20 minutes to rape my favorite 75'x75' go-to area where I know I can most always catch fish just to up my numbers. Let the fun begin. So for the next twenty minutes I picked up however many that made me a total of 21. Nothing necessarily big, and most all were cookie cutter.

As usual, I have no idea what Woody's numbers were, but I'm sure he was close to that - if not over it. Love watching him pick his cellphone out of his pocket after every fish. I never really knew what he was doing - I think I assumed he was using his phone as a calculator of sorts to keep his fish count accurate. In reality, he's taking pictures.. but he snaps a pic of each fish - so I guess you could say he is keeping count.

MrScorecard.JPG

That's it. Fun morning, late report. Enjoy the pics.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,483
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    More fish than I caught this week, lol... Nice work. Should be shore fishing LJ right now... Nope, another night of my liver begging for mercy

3. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    I wish I had 20 only 11 and yes I take pics of every fish to keep count. I can aiso go back for dates and times and locations.plus when I first started one of my conventual fishing buddies called bull crap on our numbers. I have texted him enough now to where he is just jealous now

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    Better late than never.

5. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,558
    One of these days were gonna have an outlandish day on the water. Last time it happened was with Richard and a friend of ours from LA.

We were at Spanish on a random October morning. Seagulls started going out of their minds near the west intersection. We kicked into it and started throwing Clousers into the fray and skipping them on the surface. Every cast was a double.. Mackerel and Barracuda everywhere. In the mix were also YFC and Corbina, We each took well over 50 fish inside of an hour while sitting at that intersection. My own arm was so sore that I actually said I'd had enough and was ready to call it a day. But I ended up staying out with Richard and Mark, and we went on to finish the day with 75+ fish counts. If I'm not mistaking, Richard had the highest count. I remember remarking how close he was to 100, but that's it.

Point is, no one believed my report. Like you, I had told others and written it up on another website, but took nothing but chiding and ribbing and overall heat for the numbers I posted. No one bought it. And I took very few pics because I WAS HAVING FUN CATCHING FISH. And naturally, no one else was taking any pics for the same reason.

6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,483
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Funny story.. I trapped something like 514 gophers at work in four months. The big boss (biggest boss, actually) mentioned to my supervisor when they were standing next to me that he was certain I was padding my numbers. Walked into his office via the main office carrying eight dead gophers, still in the traps. Strolled into his office right through engineering past all the secretaries. Pointed to the eighth gopher and told him I believed it was gopher 529, and asked him if he wanted to keep track, as I had heard he doubted my capacity to do so as the main gopher trapper, he was more than welcome to count them however he saw fit. I was informed that it would not be necessary, and to please remove the vermin from the building before there was an incident. I asked him to repeat himself, in case there was a miscommunication, during which he was turning as red as a turnip. I stalled as long as possible with reassurances that I was attempting to be as accurate as possible, and that any inaccuracies were totally my responsibility, before moseying out, making idle chitchat with as many co-workers as possible making my way to the farthest exit.. instant work legend.. hahahaha

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  7. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,558
    I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,205
    This day in age, most people do things just to tell people they did it (for likes and follows), rather than just doing it for fun.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,483
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    This could be true. For some, though, it seems like all the haters get to them/us at times. I used to care, any more though, I just realize that the haters and biters are real, and nothing satisfies them anyway, not pictures, not anything. Last time I got a PM from a hater about keeping largemouth, I straight up told the guy that, because of him, I would put more effort into killing more largemouths whenever I could.. he didn't have too much to say after that, at least I kept my end of the deal

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,558
    I used to get tired of haters and their BS too. But anymore I could care less. Hopefully, I've earned enough street cred and built-up a good enough rep with those on here that truly matter to me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,718
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    My irrigators bring me the tails as proof.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,483
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I know I don't have to tell you, I mention again though.. the gophernator and molinator traps outproduce the DK1, Victor and Macabee traps 2:1 at least, if not 3:1...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,718
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Yep

14. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    And I thought I was hot **** getting 3 gophers in a day. Wish I would have known you when I lived in Murrieta Coach . I had a half acre and my neighbor had a dirt backyard so you know I had gophers. If your gopher killing advice is even close to your fishing advice I wouldn't have looked like Bill Murrey in Caddyshack.I HATE GOPHERS

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,295
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Taking pictures is a pain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,483
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Lol, captwoody .. when you trap a couple hours a day, for months/years at a time, your technique had better be at least decent.. the gophernator does make a huge difference though, seriously

17. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,558
    And I agree.. but I love taking pictures when I'm out - especially pictures of whoever is fishing with me. Some of these guys dont have pics of themselves doing what they enjoy, and I aim to please. Love taking pics of friends with a bent flyrod and the sunrise in the background.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List