another P.B. record broken

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by basstard, Jul 27, 2018.

1. basstard

basstard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +607
    Boat:
    Fishing Waverunners
    3:15 is when I started my day. Had to get some bait and ECBT opens at 4:30. so at 4:35 I was on the road. Got to the spot and sat with my ski for about 15 minutes awaiting first light. (jetskis are illegal on the water 1 hour after sunrise and 1 hour before dusk. I didn't wait an hour..... off to point loma.
    As soon as I got to around 100ft of water in goes the rapalas x wrap 40's one that looks just like a mack and a white red head. wasn't about 10 minutes later bang! Ive never seen my rod bend like this. I started fighting what felt like a bus, but half way thru she came unbuckled.....sigh try again
    after trolling for about a half hour with no more bites I dropped a pink spro feathered tail jig tipped with squid down to 100 feet, and bam IMG_20180727_081332.jpg nice catch but not what I really what I was after. I clipped his gills, and into the cooler. so back to trolling. Another half hour of that with continuously getting caught in the kelp, guess I wasn't deep enough. By this time I started feeling sea sick. I headed over to the submerged jetty where I thought I might be a little calmer. It was and I didn't throw up. Again pink spro tipped with squid. After jigging with it for a while hoping for a hali and also feeling sick, and ready to call it a day. I momentarily put my head down and closed my eyes Im pretty sure I fell asleep for a second but after I didn't feel sick anymore. I wolk up to drag peeling. holy crap this guy was strong IMG_20180727_094229.jpg IMG_20180727_094347.jpg fought like a champ. Definitely the biggest leopard shark Ive ever caught. She was a few inches longer than my 40 inch boat ruler. Im guessin 47-48". It was hard to measure her good, as I didn't want to hurt her. Or her me. I removed all her parasite with my needle nose and let her go
    Headed over to the barge in hopes for a legal flattie. I want to catch halibut!!! Its been a long time since Ive gotten a decent HALI. Then a couple more spotties on da gulp as I hit a few spots on the way in. Love rock fish meat. What a tasty lil fella

#1 basstard, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  2. basstard

Ratings:
    +607
    Boat:
    Fishing Waverunners
    I remember eating LS in the past. one time I remember it being delishious and another time it tasting like amonia. can somebody help me out with this? I know they need to be 36 inches. but would I wanna eat one. I know most sharks, excluding mako and thresher pee thru their skin????

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Redjim

Redjim Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +452
    Great session man.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +856
    yep, leopards secrete ammonia through their skin. I've heard the meat has a similar texture to scallop, but never eaten one personally. Werfless probably knows a good way to clean and prep em

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. basstard

Ratings:
    +607
    Boat:
    Fishing Waverunners
    Im waiting for his reply on it lol I guess I should of said hey werf and directed question at him by name lol. hes always got the 411 on the eatables

6. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,752
    Nice Leo! Nice you let it go yo be caught another day or breed.

Parasites? Yes they are tasty. I bleed, gut right away and cut out any bloody meat. I soak fillets overnight in milk. Pat dry and either cook or vacuum seal for another day....

Great steaks and fish tacos!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. basstard

Ratings:
    +607
    Boat:
    Fishing Waverunners
    yes parasites all over its skin, some in clumps of four or five, ontop and underbelly. hopefully she thinks a hook in her lip was worth cleaning her skin. they looked painful...and bothersome. I find them a lot in the mouth of LMB. I always rid the fish I catch of those lil ****s. The mullet that jump in the bay have the most evil giant crab parasites in their mouth, like a little alien mutants. some say thats why they jump. tring to rid them of the parasite, but who knows for sure. Its my service to the fish for letting me catch em. Ive heard the milk method before, maybe Ill try it next time

8. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,752
    Thanks for helping Mr Leo!

9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,709
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Well.. shark prep 101. Step one, bleed the shark out in the water cut the gills and girdle the tail. Some say do this before killing a shark, I prefer to kill Mr smiley first, as I have not found a difference in flavor if I soak the carcass long enough . Step two, soak the shark in seawater for as long as you can, up to two hours or more. Get it on ice as soon as possible for at least ten hours, take a break from the ice bath to hang the beast somewhere in the shade for at least a couple hours.. cut the fish up and treat as usual. You can cut corners anywhere but in the bleed and soak portion. This will effect texture (less ice time) or flavor (hanging), but the meat will still come out well. It is a pain, but not too difficult once you have done it a few times. I have done these steps with every shark I have landed that I wish to eat regardless of species or type. My advice? Fish where you caught that leo, but farther south a bit.. use wire and a rub leader. Plenty of soupfins down there far better eating than a leo, good hali fishing too (my pb came from a peculiar notch in the shoals, wonder if it's still there?).

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. basstard

Ratings:
    +607
    Boat:
    Fishing Waverunners
    I think Ill probably let these beautiful creatures go un harmed. Ill just wait for a thresher. It seems no matter how you prep them ur just masking the ammonia that may still be in the meat. either I will, or either I wont . Thanks for the prep advise(s). Catching a thresher or soup fin/mako would be amazing

11. tjthegreat1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +559
    Soaking in milk helps leach ammonia. I've read the fat in milk also helps absorb PCBs and a few other toxins when soaking fillets from polluted areas.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Easy619

Easy619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +837
    Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the write up here. Been catching lots of Leo's in the surf lately, some hooked deep and was researching whether their worth eating and prep.

13. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,709
    Boat:
    3 too many
    They are good.. just a bit of work to prepare. Once you do it a few times, you will find it is not as difficult as it sounds. For a gut hooked fish, totally worth it