Any tips for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by codex, Feb 1, 2009.

1. codex

codex Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, i'm fairly new to fishing in saltwater. I went a few times to fish off the jetties in mission beach and caught 2 fish total from 4 times that i went by casting a jig. Anyone can provide some advice on what lure/bait to use in a spot like that? I noticed some of the other guys there used a weight and squid. Before i start experimenting wanted to get some advice here. Thanks!

2. Shyazn8boi

Shyazn8boi New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you would like to cast some swimbaits, you should buy some Big Hammer 3" SEXY SMELT or Bay Smelt. Those swimbait works really good in the bay.

Weight&Squid = Bait Soaking for some fish or shark.
    You can also catch spotties, sand bass, croakers, calico bass, and more fish on the bottom.

Goodluck.

3. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +94
    don't think of our local saltwater as having different parts of a puzzle rather think technique. If you fish small curtails you can use it anywhere. Go up in size and fish swimbaits, hard baits like Kastmasters, Grubs will catch surf perch and any other fish that eats small fish. Everything eats meat, anchovies squid, blood worms mussels, clams it don't matter.halibut will move shallow to spawn in spring and can be found almost anywhere the bottom is suitable. Big butts can be laying about ten feet off the shore on Fiesta island or San Diego bay. Bass croaker, corvina, corbina there are fish everywhere. Read posts and reports from various web sources, you'll see guys fish Del Mar, Torrey pines alot, south Mission beach can be awesome. Fish light with blood worms or sand crabs where allowed, concentrate on inshor water betweem breakers or where a rip exists. Look for depressions nd have fun.

4. codex

codex Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for the advice! This was very helpfull. Only other question i have is, does it matter what time of the day it is? I'm more used to early mornings and late afternoons in the freshwater...not sure if its similar in the saltwater.

5. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +94
    I think tides as they relate to time of day is eesential. Of course it great to just get out and fish so don't hesitate to go just because the tides are not optimum.
    A tidal flow of 4 foot or more is good, bass like moving water, learn to read tide tables. Look for an incoming high that corresponds with daybreak, or sunset. For instance, when the tide floods in Mission bay try the eel grass beds it is a good idea to fish spinnerbaits or swimbaits just over the grass.