Anyone fish with the long surf rods?

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by justinjoy, Jul 13, 2020.

1. justinjoy

justinjoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Name:
    JAY
    As I watch videos of surf fishing I see 12 foot broom sticks with 5000 + size reels. Does anyone use these here in So cal. I seen one guy with one and he looked like he was just trying to get out of the house also. I Understand the light gear but what besides sharks would the benefit of a broom stick be. Just curious as to get out past the waves I wonder what lurks out there. Most of the fish they catch are small also.

Just Curious is all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. InfernoVolpe

InfernoVolpe Member

Ratings:
    +99
    Name:
    Dante
    I personally use a 10' Penn Battalion Medium as it gives the best all around performance to switch between LC and light C-rigs. Also a good compromise between rod power, casting distance, and sensitivity. Many guys here use 8 ft salmon/steelhead rods. I have tried longer, heavier rods with nothing but disappointment for the way I fish. I think the guys who use them the most is people in the Gulf Coast who need to yeet out a 5+ oz. sinker for Pompano etc. For the species we catch here in SoCal, you don't need that. You might as well be fishing for sixgills with that kind of setup.

3. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,926
    I bought an 11' rod a couple of years ago just for a change of pace, and to experiment with. Most of the long rods you see people using are heavy looking broomsticks, which I can't imagine being too fun to use, especially with our smaller species. But I did some research and managed to find an 11' rod that was only rated 10-20lb, and was still sensitive enough to feel the smaller fish.

On my second ever cast with that rod, soaking bait with a 3oz pyramid weight, I caught a corvina that weighed 8.5lbs. I've only used that rod maybe a half a dozen times, and while I haven't caught anything close to as big as that first fish, I have had a lot of luck catching croakers with it, including a pretty good sized spotfin recently.

So far I am mainly only catching croakers with it, but it's the off chance that something unexpected will cruise through those deeper waters, like that big corvina, that keeps me coming back to the long rod.

4. justinjoy

justinjoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Name:
    JAY
    yeah here most people I see fishing a normal rod only seen one guy with and Lightning rod fishing. Good thing I found this forum before I would of been the second guy out there with a Rod that size waiting to get struck down. by Thor himself.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,665
    some people soak bait for the big leos and rays. Others go with heavy gear and sinkers, but smaller hooks and bait to get croakers and such out farther, leaving the rod in a sand spike. The times I've tried the heavy stuff I spent those days just collecting weeds.....

6. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    The long rods can be fun and a challenge . Those breezers you see outside the surf line , you can put a good sized plug or iron to those fish with some practice . The heavers came about on the east coast a way to get 8 oz of lead and a half a bunker to the bluefish and drum to most the sharks are just a byproduct of that fishing in those locations . Rooster fish from the beach, big jacks , big striped bass are also on the menu . I only have 1 true long rod its a 12ft 8 inch casting machine that is rated a true 4 - 8 oz and weighs in at 19 ounces . You can put a 6 oz iron to where you cant see it hit the water and more than half the spool of line disappeared off a size 15 to 25 Penn conventional . Not for everyone , especially in a lightning storm . A different dimension to shore fishing , but certainly no less challenging or fun if you take on the hunt . Have fun if you try it . WR

#6 William Ritchie, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  7. TekAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +912
    I have a couple tens, a 12', and a 15'. When placed in a 6' rod holder and there's a lot grass closer to shore, it eliminates or reduces grass buildup on the line, because trigonometry and stuff. Long rods are also good for sliding delicate baits further out without worrying about it coming off during the "heave-ho" as Graeme Pullen says.

8. Mike M

Mike M Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +381
    Name:
    Mike Mendez
    I use a 10'6" G-Loomis STR1263C with 8# mono. Not a meat stick by any means, but it lets me cast far into yellow fin croaker territory. The extra length also keeps the line high and out of the shorebreak.

9. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,570
    Name:
    Gabe
    10’6 Fenwick SST that I use for perch. 2 piece, but has better feeling than most 1 piece rods I’ve used. It’s a mission rigging so many guides to go through lol. But distance is a huge plus. Great light rod, balances well with anything from a 2k reel to maybe a 5k. It’s nice getting past the breakers sometimes, catching dinks isn’t always fun

10. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,947
    Name:
    Eric
    I had a 10' heavy okuma longitude, wasnt really a fan of the big broomstick since I dont target sharks or do the sand spike thing. It was a nice rod, but not my style. Ended up trading it for boat rod. I'm a big fan of the SST style rods for surf fishing. Heavy weight rods are for heavyweight fish to me.

11. justinjoy

justinjoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Name:
    JAY
    Interesting Read and see the different options. I have from 11 foot all the way to 8 foot is the shortest I have for salmon steelhead rods. I was thinking about getting one just to let it sit out and Soak and use the light weight rod for the closer to shore fishes. But it is a lot to haul to a fishing spot. Most all the videos I watch they drive on the beach we are not that lucky unless it is Fiesta Island. other than that we are walking in to a spot.