Anyone using metal jigs in Mission Bay?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by shorefisher, Jul 5, 2019.

1. shorefisher

shorefisher Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Name:
    Chris Croom
    This probably will sound dumb to many of you more experienced anglers, but I've recently discovered the joy of metal jig fishing in Mission Bay, after catching something like 40 fish on them so far this summer. I particularly like the 21g Shimano coltsniper in "brown aji" flavor (top, pictured below after 30 fish) and the 3/4 oz. Dan Hernandez Magic Metal in alewife/brown bait color (although matching these jigs in various sizes with the sizes of baitfish you see is probably the best strategy). I have yet to try the Megabait, Ahi Deceptor, and P-Line versions of these baits that I have, mostly because these companies refuse to make lures in browns or olives, which are very productive colors in Mission Bay.

I switched to these jigs because I got tired of being less productive with 5" Texas-rigged Berkeley Gulp swimbaits that are impervious to weeds and excellent for the deadly "twitch, pause forever" technique for SBB when the fish are less hungry in Fall and Winter, because I wasn't always producing, and walking away from Mission Bay fishless after a session threatens my masculinity too much (spotties will eat practically anything). So, instead of fishing on a lower or incoming tide like I typically did with the Gulp, I considered the eelgrass and how the metal jigs moved, and started fishing around high tide--on both incoming and outgoing tides. This kept me out of the weeds, and I think accommodated natural fish feeding patterns better. I find the trick when using these is to reel them slowly enough with your rod pointed towards the fish so they're just above the eelgrass and don't get snagged too much, and to let the lure do the work. I also use a small amount of fish attractant on them even though they can't absorb much of anything. So far this summer I have caught barracuda, SBB, yellowfin croakers, mackerel, salema, needlefish, halibut, and calico bass on them, all in the same body of water. (We are lucky to have such a productive urban, saltwater, tidal lake or two so close to us.)

In any case, what are your experiences with metal jigs in Mission Bay? Anyone using traditional irons there? Also, have any of you noticed corbina conspicuously ignoring them?

IMG_5120.jpg

2. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,382
    I don't tend to have the opportunity to fish MB at high tide, but I can see this being a very intriguing way of fishing it. I typically only go metal in the channel on a high tide if I get the timing right. Never have done much thinking along the lines of over the grassbeds though. I'll have to give it a try. Just preferably on jigs that aren't gonna immediately dump me into the poorhouse lol

3. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,778
    Are you shorepounding or by boat?

I’ve yet to hit the jetty (yet that is), but the purples,blues, and pinks work well for me with the 1-2oz MB and PLine

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. shorefisher

shorefisher Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Name:
    Chris Croom
    They all have been from shore. I'll have to try those purple and pink colors--thanks for the tip! I have noticed that spotfin and corbina really cue in on certain wavelengths of pink. I was bowfishing Torrey Pines with a pink arrow one time, and I noticed that the spotfin followed the arrow back, almost to my feet when I was reeling it in after missed shots.

5. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,908
    Good on you.

I actually started as an “iron guy.” With success. I’m mostly a pelagic guy.

However, each technique has its pro’s and con’s. I actually made it my mission to learn as many techniques as I can and to be perfectly honest, I’m the better fisherman for it.

Funny, my son is a Yellowtail/Pelagics guy and he’s discovered “the iron” and his favorite is a Coltsniper......

Rokbury14 do you remember when you met me? The Rok was drop shotting and I was throwing the Coltsniper.....

It’s funny, I know exactly who my Jedi-Master was for each specific technique I’ve acquired.....

Rokbury14 - DS
    Paulito - T-Rig
    Werfless - IV Canal and Jetty Fishing.
    Cheese Whiz - Sheepshead Catching

Mr HK Hultner - who was my best friend’s father and who took me Rockcod fishing at the 9 on their boat-I was a pier fisherman until then- It changed me,Ive never been the same!

shorefisher , I love your passion and your scientific like pursuit to becoming a better fisherman .

Keep them reports coming. It makes this forum what it is....

6. NibbleSquad

NibbleSquad Active Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Throwing irons on the mission bay jetty can by absolutely deadly at times. Usually on a high tide you can catch mackerel, barracuda and sandbass letting it sink to the bottom and ripping it. A big/light krocodile is my preference but ive had luck on smaller lazer minnows. When the bait gets pushed up on the rocks on those rare days an iron can sink through a school quick and trigger sone gnarly bites

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    As a kid in the channel by the flood control I had a blast catching all kinds of fish on crocs and light irons. Cuda, Bonito.... Good times. I stopped ultimately because I focused more on Bass and other species and swim baits resulted in way less by catch. Sure kept me busy in my childhood!

8. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +495
    Krocodiles, Kastmasters, and Megabaits. Any color with chrome.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  9. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,019
    These days I use them much less shore fishing because losing a couple every other day really adds up. The jigpara slow fall with the glow stripe are killer at night. They really lose their paint fast after banging up on a few rocks tho.

10. gnohs

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +302
    I use some 15 to 30 gram metal jigs I got on aliexpress for around $1 each.

The fish haven't noticed how inexpensive they are yet. Hooks are significantly better than what comes stock on Krocodiles, Kastmasters, etc.

11. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,788
    I would try switching out the treble hooks to strong VMC or OWNER
    replacement hooks you won’t lose as many lures.
    Thanks for your in-depth report.​

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. DogDudeDrone

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,329
    Name:
    Zach Carman
    Boat:
    Feet
    Which ones have you purchased? there are so many...

13. bart

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +268
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo11
    i was just checking those coltsnipers out! glad to see your post, they looked like a jig that would produce, thanks for the technique of fishing it, i haven’t used metal there yet, but i will now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. DogDudeDrone

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,329
    Name:
    Zach Carman
    Boat:
    Feet
  15. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,019
    How many of them don't swim/wobble well?

16. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,847
    Name:
    Eric
    I like 3/4 oz megabaits. They work well for bonito, cudas, mackerel, bass will bite them too. They cast very well. I've heard of people bending them to affect the action. Kroc spoons are also pretty popular, i like the 5/8 oz kroc. Kastmasters have never been as successful for me as the megabait or kroc.
    I like a fast retrieve on the megabait, slower on the kroc. From a pier or jetty in deepwater a yoyo retrieve works well

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,778
    I’m with you
    3/4oz Megabaits
    1-2oz LaserMinnows
    60g ColtSnipers
    Tady TLCs

Oh my...

18. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,321
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Doesn’t anyone use spinner baits? Deadly over the grass or in the channel, as well as sandy bottoms. In my humble opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. tmitch06

tmitch06 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Since i've moved to Africa and started only fishing on vacation in the middle east and Mediterranean I've found that everyone out here almost exclusively fishes with metal jigs and minnow/jerkbaits. Some of the most popular brands here are duo, storm, jigpara/majorcraft, and xesta. A lot of the stuff comes from japan, and not available in any shops in the states that I know of. I have found though that a lot of stuff is being cloned and sold on aliexpress. I have bought some from allblue on aliexpress and it only took 2 weeks to make it to my po box in the middle of no where africa. I'd love to see how they fair in the bays/surf in SD.

Someone give them a try!

They are about a third of the cost on aliexpress compared to what the name brand here sells in the shops.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...0c-45f3-8306-c6c83205365e&transAbTest=ae803_4

Here's the name brand for comparison.

https://duo-international.com/products/drag-metal-cast/

20. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,778
    Weedless Underspins...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List