Are dogs are smarter than cats?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Meezer_Man, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    The other day while using my litter box I noticed a story at the bottom about a study conducted by the University of Salford in Manchester, England

I laughed so hard that I nearly coughed-up a hair ball
    This kind of thinking proves how successful we felines have been in fooling humans. You humans are so ignorant of history you are repeating it.

What dog holds such a high place in history as cats?

Think of ancient Egypt. While on my laptop a few days ago (my human was asleep) and while simultaneously watching my favorite TV channel, Animal Planet, I found this on the Wikipedia website: “Diodorus Siculus describes an interesting example of swift justice imposed upon the killer of a cat. About 60 BC, he witnessed a Roman accidentally kill an Egyptian cat. An outraged mob gathered and, despite pleas from pharaoh Ptolemy XII, killed the Roman.”

1529519305995.jpg
    (iStock)

Has anyone valued a dog this highly?

And what’s all of that in the study about how dogs “talk” to humans by rolling over to have their bellies scratched? How undignified. Cats prefer to have their heads scratched and when we allow humans to do it we sometimes bite them just so they remember who is really, shall I say it, “top dog.”

The study also says dogs communicate with humans by barking. Are they kidding? A barking dog is one of the most irritating sounds one can hear, especially if it is in the middle of the night.

1529519318602.jpg
    (iStock)

Cats purr, a delightful sound to humans and other cats. Purring communicates “contentment.” When a dog barks you never know what he means.

Something else. Do you know why dogs identify more closely with the Democratic Party and cats with the Republicans? Let me inform you.

1529519324471.jpg
    (iStock)

We cats are independent. We don’t need a lot of things from others. Keep our food and water bowls full and the litter box clean and we are happy.

Dogs, on the other paw (pardon the pun) are in constant need of attention and must be taken outside and walked where they do their business on other people’s lawns, infuriating neighbors if that business is not properly picked up. Ugh!

A study wasn’t needed to learn the superior qualities of cats over dogs. What do you think the comic strip character Garfield was trying to teach you? Remember his dog-mate “Odie,” perhaps the dumbest dog on the planet? Odie couldn’t stop drooling (cats never drool) and always misunderstood what Garfield said to him.

Here’s all you need to know about Odie: His name came from a car dealership commercial written by cartoonist Jim Davis, which featured Odie the Village Idiot.

Enough said. The next study might focus on why cat lovers are smarter and superior to scientists.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,263
    Name:
    Larry M
    Here's our two cats, the one on the left was my wife's parents and we took him in when they passed away. The other one I found between the engine and firewall of our car when she was a very small kitten.

Dogs drool, cats rule. LOL

20180517_191718-1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,105
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Cats would make good politicians.

Even though they serve no useful function, and piss on everything you love, they manage to remain popular.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,949
  5. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Rather have a cat than mice.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +348
    Now that’s funny right there. I prefer dogs, since cats are wild animals and do wtf they want to do, when they feel like getting around to doing it

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,550
    If the phone rings for a dog, he will answer it immediately. If the phone rings for my cats, they ask me to "kindly take a message."

8. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Creek, i open the door at my mother's house a dog barks at me,my place a cat greets me.

9. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,550
    Okay. Cant not participate in this... I've always loved animals. After coming home from my insane job every day, they help me remain grounded. Good little guys. Lost a little girl cat as well.. took her because she had a spine deformation (she ran sideways - so cute and so dear). Then lost my Maine Coon boy soon after. I was so sick over him I thought I was going to go over the edge. Still am sick over him actually. Got this little guy as a rescue from EC animal shelter.

That was his second time in "the joint" (the second time he'd been caught in La Mesa eating out of trash bin) I saw him in that metal cage and just sat there and cried. He's mine now - or more appropriately, I'm his. I have another rescue as well, but its this little guy that really saved me. Hope he's happy cuz I sure am.
    abncEJX.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    I have a orange maine coon one of my 4 cats. They get huge. Real friendly.

11. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,550
    Mine was so human. Most people wouldnt understand that, but I have no doubt you would.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    They have a chirping sound purr that I like. Sounds like birds. I had a maine coon for 4 years. I do like dogs mom has a boston terrior and a part dixon

13. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,263
    Name:
    Larry M
    The cat that we got from my wife's parents acts like a dog. When we close off the sun room for the night he'll be sleeping on the chair, I'll call his name and say it's time to lock up. He'll jump down and walk into the living room.

14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,492
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I rescued a feral kitten out of a barn about 13 years ago. She was completely ridden with fleas and the remaining two kittens were found dead a couple days later. We had to keep her in a cage for a few days to calm her down. She was obviously a mix but she looked like a pure bred Himalayan. Gorgeous cat. We live in coyote country but have never kept our cats cooped up. She lived until I had to put her down at 11 years old. She developed a terminal lung disease.

We now have another cat that we have had for some 7 years who lives compatibly with our 4 dogs. I will never understand people who mistreat animals. I honestly believe that God designed some animals to be domesticated to serve man in a variety of ways. Horses, dogs and cats come immediately to mind.

15. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,550
    Yep. Thats all mine did was chirp and chortle. He never really had a true meow sound. He trilled alot. Wouldnt come running to his name, but would come flying if I whistled for him.

16. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,203
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Wife's friend gave us the cat when he was a kitten. He was following her and the boyfriend out in the park, did not want the coyotes killing him in Ramona. We adopted him, he grew fast and weights 19 pounds. =^..^=

17. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,349
    Well, I sure get a laugh out of them, but when you put a sweater on a cat, the face they make is priceless...
    My Lady's cat..."he was cold"... upload_2018-6-25_20-1-26.png

18. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,105
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Oh, he looks cold. And calculating...

Better lock the bedroom door.