Are swimbaits just an inside joke?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Eg3210, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Eg3210

Eg3210 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    So I’ve used swimbaits on jig heads dozens of times for, I don’t know, maybe a fifty or more hours and I’ve caught one fish that way and I think two other bites. I’ve done it mostly randomly but I’ve fished high and low tide in both bays. Fished it mostly slow with pauses but I’ve also fished it fast, jerky, and consist retrieve. Tried all the usual colors, greens, browns, white, Black at night and dusk. Tried both bats from shore, dock and pier.

It’s not that I’m just getting disappointing results it’s shockingly bad. I mean honestly if I just put a treble hook on without a lure and dragged it though the water that much I’d fully expect to hook a handful of fish just by contact.
    And to top it off I’ve caught dozens of bass on the same plastics liphooked on dropshot or caralina rigs. Often times the same plastic that I just pulled off the jig head that I’d fished for an hour with no success.

So my question is are you guys just messing around and pretending to catch fish this way and exspecting us to try it once or twice then realize it’s a joke and move on, not knowing that some of us have just stuck to it exspecting something to happen. Or is there something I’m missing.

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,345
    Need to give more info. Swim bait size, jig head size, water depth.... weed guard or no?

You may want to try Texas rigging a curltail plastic and drag it slow through the eelgrass. But dragging swimbaits on standard jig heads just at the tops of the eelgrass is deadly too. Try low light periods, midday summer can be tough.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. bloody sunday

bloody sunday Member

Ratings:
    +23
    where are you fishing from?

4. Eg3210

Eg3210 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Alwaus fishing from shore or dock. Mostly pepper park & embarcadedo south in the big bay and under the Ingraham st bridge on the south side of vacation isle or the east side.
    I try to toss it into the weeds, but I’ve just lost so many jig heads I’ve started to try and avod them. They get stuck more then any other tackle I’ve tried.
    I’ve used week guard but it doesn’t seem to do much for me and cost more so I tend to skip it.

Fishing 3” baits mostly. Every now and then a bit larger. Using under half oz heads. Mostly about 3/8th.

5. zoner

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,047
    Name:
    Mike
    i just got in from shorepounding NW MB for an hour and a half with a 3" z man swimbait on a 1/4 oz round jighead. I got 9 spotted bass and two calicos all on the same bait. You did say you avoid the grass....I was LOOKING for the grass. Maybe i'm just holding my mouth right or something......

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,727
    I didn’t write two lengthy articles for nothing. I’m all about tossing plastics in the bay, mainly 3” curltails and swimbaits. Now I’m not going to say any names although we all know who I’d be referring to, but there is one hell of a patient guy on here who 99% of the time comes up empty. That guy gets right back out there to do it again and again.... he asks all the questions and tries everything in the book. He doesn’t ask for anyone’s spots, he just gets out there and tries to learn fishing our waters. My point.... have you asked all the right questions? Have you reached out to anyone on this forum for advice? Are you fishing the same areas over and over using the same bait? You may just be one of the guys who just can’t get bit no matter what. But, I doubt it. Your issue is with swimbaits right? If you are determined to catch bass on plastics and can’t seem to do it on your own, do not be shy and reach out for some help, and don’t assume anyone here is pulling your chain. I’ve put over a hundred members from this forum on fish, and am not afraid to share some bass intel with anyone. Looks like you have a few posts to your name, so welcome to SD Fish! If you have any questions drop me a pm. It may take a bit to get back to you due to work and other pm’s before yours I have to reply to. But I will. And if all the planets align, I may be able to join you for a session. Here’s the kicker, if I can’t join you, there are a bunch of guys here who will, and they are just as informative as I am.

Be patient. Stay mobile. Log your outings. Try different colors. Sizes. Brands. Scents. Tides, areas, line size, line color for fux sake. If you’ve done all that, and you approach two consecutive months without success, take up another hobby. Join me on the golf course(I might help you there too).

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  7. Eg3210

Eg3210 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Darn, I was really hoping people would just come out with it and admit it was a scam. But I guess if people really do catch with it I’ll keep trying.
    I keep missing SP, I don’t have much of a life but somehow they are always scheduled the one day of the month I’m actually doing something.

8. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,727
    Give me a date in September that’s not a Thursday or Sunday night and our first fall session will be that night. Then you have to show up.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,424
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Let's do it

10. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,846
    Name:
    Kyle
    Or you can be a bait guy, 95% of the fishing I do is with bait with a pretty good success rate. Frankly I have plastics and they pretty much just sit there and do nothing.. All you need is market shrimp. Try the Jettys and beaches. Catch plenty of bass with shrimp and other species.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,846
    Name:
    Kyle
    Caught many a largemouth on the Texas rig.

12. Eg3210

Eg3210 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Wow that’s a heck of an offer and the post above that was also in readable welcom. That’s one of the things I really like about this site. While I don’t post much I read a lot and it’s such a nice community.
    But I’m gearing up for a couple weeks in Thailand now and when I get back I’m planning to get a new job, so I really don’t know what my schedule will look like. I’d hate to pick the date then find out my new job requires me to work that night.

13. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,424
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Catch some snakeheads and climbing perch for me.. jacks and GT if you can...

14. Eg3210

Eg3210 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Oh and it’s not the plastics I have a problem with. Since I keep some gear in trunk and generally end up fishing on a whim, like if traffic is particularly bad or I get word that my wife will be working late.

So I find keeping shrimp in the trunk for a week or two just doesn’t work as well :)
    I’m not the best fisherman ever but with patients I can land a few fish on various rigs but it’s just the swimbaits on a jig head that’s I’ve been wondering about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,727
    Well then keep your eye out for the sign up thread, which will be posted in the second half of August, and hopefully we will see you out there.

16. Boogie

Boogie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +196
    I agree with kyle12345. Maybe your a bait guy and there is nothing wrong with that. I fish with guys that use bait and sometimes I feel like the odd man out. But lure fishing is all about presentation and switching out to what works best that day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Eg3210

Eg3210 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks, I’ll keep and eye out and I think when I get back I’ll try to actually post an invite and try to meet up with some people and see if they can’t learn me a thing or two. It’s something I always think would be a great but never get around to it or feel like I’ll embarrass myself when I show up and someone sees my technique.

I’m about to start another thread about Thailand. So hopefully I’ll be able to send back pics of some of those fish.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,424
    Boat:
    3 too many
    No embarrassing nonsense here.. keep it real an there is no problem

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,856
    We need a class. I am still striking out no matter what I try. But.....I keep trying. I hoping to hook one who isn't paying attention. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the restart of SP.

20. Boogie

Boogie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Yes patients is key. And storing bait in your trunk is sometimes not the best. I like to keep a pack of of FishBites on had in my tackle backpack just incase.