ARGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bay fishing' started by Fomen, May 15, 2017.

1. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +849
    The title of my thread articulates my sentiments at one point during my kayak fishing trip this past Saturday.

I launched my kayak from the small beach at Mc Call St at the west end of Shelter Island at approximately 7am. Every time I use my Pro Angler, I'm reminded of why I bought it. Mirage drive = AWESOMENESS! I paddled over to the bait receiver (1.1 miles) w/out even breaking sweat.

Normally I would have hollered out for a recreational boater to hook a brotha up, but I wanted anchovies instead of sardines. I feel that I get more bang for my buck with anchovies, and I assumed most people drifting live bait in the bay had sardines. So I sucked it up, and paid the exorbitant amount that E-Bros now charges for a kayak scoop.

When I got near the bait receiver, one of the guys working it asked if I could grab one of the bumpers that fell off of their skiff. I gladly accommodated and told them to get the pen with the anchovies in it ready to go.

The guys were very friendly, and generous with their pass in the bait pen. I thanked them, then headed 1/2 mile to the other side of the bay. I spent 10 or 15 minutes peddling around to find the perfect spot to begin my drift. Got my pole rigged up, turned around to scoop out a lively bait from my Hobie livewell, and ARGGGHHHH!!!!! 80% of them were dead! Apparently when the guy from the bait barge dropped the scoop of bait into my bait tank, he inadvertently turned off my bait pump. The switch for the bait pump is a plunger style switch, and when he pulled the net back towards himself after dumping the bait, the mesh must have grabbed the plunger and shut it off. It wasn't their fault. It was an accident. I wasn't angry at them. Just angry at the situation.

I was able to revive the remainder, and I tossed out the dead ones. Fishing was slow. Not even worth taking a picture. The water was clean though. I didn't see a bunch of garbage or tons of eel grass floating on it.

At one point I found a nice bait ball on the bottom, and I set up my drift to accommodate for it. I hooked up immediately, and pulled up a small halibut (maybe 16"). I knew they were spawning because that thing was spewing sperm out of it!

Caught a total of only 8 fish. 3 halibut (biggest 21"), 4 spotties, and a decent sandbass. Wind and boat traffic started to pick up, and I called it a day by 1.

Inevitably, there's always some retard in a HUGE boat, with a deep draft that decides they want to cruise outside of the channel markers, within 100' of the recreational fishermen on small boats. Saturday was no exception. This guy in a 50-60' yacht passed by myself and 4 or 5 other fishermen within 100'. He was going about 15 knots when he passed, sending a wake that had breakers and whitecaps cresting on it. REALLY!?!?!? The guy could be in the main channel. There were no Naval vessels or cruise ships transiting. So he basically sent everyone reeling and tossing in their boats, and I could see him and his butt-hole friends watching the ma ham ensue, and just laughing away.

Anyways..... That was my day. Sorry for the lack of pictures.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,071
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Reminds me of fishing the MB jetties at sunset the first couple weeks of lobster season. Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. chris cox

chris cox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105
    I remember a windy day on sd bay, sail boats out in full force. I was in a rental skiff right next to the bridge, this guy in a sail boat misses my skiff by about 2 feet...snags my lure, practically breaks my rod in half then proceeds to plow right into the bridge piling. It was awesome!

4. George Pusey

George Pusey "gordo"
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +939
    Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Livingston 15ft
    I wish I could have seen that!

5. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +849
    That's as gratifying to see as the guy who flew by me going 60 on the shoulder of the freeway during rush hour. Then passing by him a short distance later and observing his head hung in shame as the Highway Patrolman was filling out his citation..... Oh, it was glorious! I had to honk and give the police office a thumbs up. The officer peered up over the nose of his glasses and smirked. Then continued to write away.....

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. geofish

geofish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,377
    How much is a kayak scoop may I ask?

7. kobra

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +331
    Too much!!!;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +849
    $20. It doesn't break the bank, but the justification for the reason that E-Bros changed the price from $10 to $20 is bull crap! When they raised the price for 1/2 scoop, it was by $5. The 1/2 scoop used to cost $20. Then in 2008 (during the gas hike) they raised it to $25 to compensate. Everyone understood and accepted their reasoning. Then the gas prices plummeted from $4.50 per gallon to $1.65 per gallon. That was lower per gallon than when the prices started skyrocketing. But E-Bros kept the prices even though they were now paying less per gallon than when they decided to change the price from $20 to $25 per 1/2 scoop. Now it's $30 per 1/2 scoop (maybe $35). But the point I'm trying to make is they raised the price about 20% for a 1/2 scoop. But for kayakers, they raised the price from $10 to $20 which was double. Their justification for doing this hasn't got anything to do with fuel. I was told by the administrative staff (when I asked) that they had to charge more to compensate for the amount of bait that dies off due to stress when the pens are opened and closed.

I thought to myself, what do you care?!? I've NEVER had a guy working the bait barge tell me to move to a different pen because the bait looked bad. They just scoop it out regardless.

So to make a long story short- $20 is the price. And believe it or not, it's more than enough bait for a single kayaker. I've never used my entire kayak scoop, regardless of whether it's anchovies or sardines. But if you have 2 guys fishing together on a kayak, then get 1/2 scoop and divide it between the two of you. A 1/2 scoop equates to about 4 passes with the dip net. You can actually have the guys mark on the receipt how much they gave you, and if you run out, you can cruise back by, show them your receipt, and they will give you a little more. I don't think they'll let it carry over to a different day, but definitely same day.

I still think the best alternative however is to call out on CH 72 and get a recreational boater with live bait to give you a pass through their bait tank. Give $10. It's a win-win! That way you can save yourself the time it takes to paddle (or peddle) over to the bait receiver. But if you're headed to the mouth of the bay anyways, and you can't get a boater to accommodate you, by all means get the kayak scoop from the bait receiver.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. geofish

Ratings:
    +1,377
    Thanks. I have a lot to learn from you and look forward to kayaking with you.

10. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +849
    This is my disclaimer...... I'm an expert by no means. Every time I go out fishing on my kayak I learn something new, and more times than not my knowledge is based off of a stupid mistake or an oversight.

That being said, if you want to head out sometime and grow as fishermen, by all means lets make that happen!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. DCFISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +702
    Horrible times

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,071
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Some huge fish tho, for sure

13. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +849
    And I've never done this before, but I've heard from reliable sources that if you tether yourself to one of those lobster traps of of La Jolla (or wherever it is), and you fish vertically, they are typically holding fish. So the lobster fishermen make little artificial reefs for us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. geofish

Ratings:
    +1,377
    I don't have your awesome Mirage drive so I'm gonna tie to whatever I can! Buoys, lobster traps, docks, and Fomen 's PA14!

15. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +849
    Wouldn't be the first time I've tethered another kayak to mine. I got you bro..... ;)

16. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +995
    My bait fridge just shed a single tear. Even dead those things are worth their weight in gold as bait.

17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,071
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Dead bait has caught me more fish than live, I think.. Lol

18. kobra

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +331
    At the very least, the lobster traps will show you where the rock piles or reefs are. Structure markers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +849
    You know what else shows rock piles- your fish finder. Just sayin. If you don't have a fish finder on your kayak, you're robbing yourself of the ability to find, mark, and target structure. I have a few secret weapons in my arsenal for finding structure. Stuff that is free to the general public and exploitable. Most people just don't know how to utilize this free application's functionality. But I've said enough about that..... :)

20. kobra

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +331
    I just brought that up because the traps show you where structure is without having to cruise around blindly watching your ff making it a lot easier.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List