ARRRRGGGH !

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by weldon, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,569
    Just got my new Cox bill. As of Feb '19 it was $150 for TV and Internet. Then it goes to $157 in Mar. Then for this month (May) the greedy $%#$@'s jack it up to $173. That's a rate increase of $23 per month or $276 for the year ! For what ??? as most of the TV is junk and any time I see a program that looks good I get the subscription notice as in pay for view for an old documentry or movie. I called and complained and the lady was gracious enough to lower it to $168 on a discount coupon. whooppee Net flix is not much better as the programs now are mostly reality TV junk or movies that were free on TV in the past etc. I remember years ago it was $9.95 a month for cable then the kids wanted the Disney Channel for an extra $9.95 and it was off to races. :emoji_rage: Thank you as I feel much better now. Sigh

2. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    Yeah, it's a total s#!t show. Might want to consider cutting the cord. I've been cable-free for several years now. We got a HD antenna so we get CBS, NBC, CW, PBS, ABC. Picture is beautiful HD, and it's free. Got a Tivo that's made for Over The Air recording, so it records the shows we like from those networks.

Still, we were TV junkies, so it was an adjustment, but it feels great to not pay a TV bill every month (just internet, which is only like $75 per month). We bought a Roku, which makes it easy to stream shows. Once or twice a year we will do a month of Hulu or Netflix just to catch up on the shows we miss. It's worth it because they have the whole seasons available at once so we can just watch the whole thing within that month, then cancel.

It's definitely a life adjustment, but I really find that I don't care about TV nearly as much anymore (spend my time in much more fulfilling ways with my wife and our puppy).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,957
    Name:
    Larry M
    weldon, we cut cord and saved about $120 per month. We bought this antenna at Best Buy last year for about $150. We live near the Wild Anamial Park so lots of hills. We get 32 stations
    and use Ruku for streaming. There's lots of apps for locating TV stations and aiming your antenna. This antenna can be used inside also.

Screenshot_20190429-134256_Google.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,957
    Name:
    Larry M
    Here's a picture taken with a cellphone.
    Not a hi-def show, old Hart to Hart show.
    The hi-Def channels are better than the cable ones because they aren't compressed like the cable people do when they retransmit the signal.

20190429_135954.jpg

#4 Larry M, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  5. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    We live in a valley in the north end of North County with hills all around (near Camp Pendleton), so the type Larry M showed didn't work for us. We needed the extra powerful amplified antenna like this one. It's mounted to a 10' pole attached to the fence in our back yard, pointed at the southern skyline (where the signals are coming from). We actually get 18 channels, but many of them are in other languages or have content we are not interested in. We mainly stick to the HD Network channels.

I would say that the closer you live to downtown San Diego, the better your reception will be (so you might not need this high powered model).

upload_2019-4-29_15-15-36.png

6. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    We cut the cord more than 12 years ago and only pay for fast Internet. There are plenty of much cheaper TV antennas on the market but most will not receive well CBS and ABC because they transmit on lower frequency VHF band while most channels are on the UHF that njeeds smaller antenna. Here RabbitEars.Info is a lot of useful info about the local over the air (OTA) channels along with a lot of technical data including the location of the transmitter. CBS and ABC transmit from Mount Soledad, the rest from San Miguel Mountain. If you can see these peaks from your roof you will need only two simple and cheap antennas that must be combined in the same coax via a few-dollar VHF-UHF combiner. Even if your antenna location cannot see one or both because they are slightly behind some hill you still have a good chance because of the TV signal dispersion.
    We don't pay for Tivo or Roku either. I use some old Sony digital TV recorder but you will find easier any satellite receiver on eBay. Many sold in North America have build-in ATSC tuner and built-in or external hard drive. here is one example for $20 Canada/USA/Mexico DVB-ATSC FTA Digital Satellite Receiver Full HD 1080P Decorder 695236521469 | eBay Watch to explicitly say ATSC tuner in the description since many of the last generation are pure satellite only receivers. And of course don't touch anything with DirecTV and Dish in the name, get only free-to-air FTA receiver type. Recent generations can also receive IPTV if your TV don't already have it. We also watch Amazon Prime because anyway we have the account for shopping. I won't pay to watch TV, they may have to pay me to watch them and even then this is not a guarantee that I will sacrifice my time to watch the garbage coming from today's Hollywood.

7. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Watch out with such antennas and be ready to return if it doesn't work for your location. The built-in amplifier is quite strong and frequently overloads your receiver tuner, so this works only in some valleys where the signals are weak enough. Most TV and receivers have very sensitive tuners and the antenna pre-amplifier can only make things worst.

8. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,957
    Name:
    Larry M
    Here's a free app that I used to line up my antenna to the SD towers. I just moved the phone until the pointer points to the towers then rotated the antenna to line up with the pointer.
    My antenna isn't omni directional.
    I use a powered signal amplifier then a splitter with no problems on both tvs, no problems for over a year.
    There are many different antennas out there this worked for me. If it didn't Best Buy would let me return it and try something else.
    My son who lives in Clairemont has a small OTA antenna sitting right next to his tv and it works great. Your antenna needs will depend on where you live.
    I don't know where the green lines came from in the picture.

Screenshot_2019-04-29-15-49-55.png

20190429_160723.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    Between us and Mt. Soledad or San Miguel Mountain there is Cowles mtn. The only thing I see when looking in the direction of either of those mtns are airplanes. I suspect none of those antennas will work for us.

10. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,957
    Name:
    Larry M
    Download this app to your phone then you can see the exact location of the transmitting tv antennas from your location.
    It's free worth a try.

Screenshot_2019-04-29-16-37-41-1.png

11. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Optionally, you may enter your address, expected antenna height above the ground, and run the report at TV Fool
    Then you'll have a better idea what to look for.

12. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,957
    Name:
    Larry M
    I punched in my address and checked it out. Although it said that I could receive some channels with the antenna inside the picture wasn't that good. It had some pixelization when I frist tried my new antenna. I also tried it in the attic, it was a little better. Where I have it installed in the picture works very well for me.
    TV Fool has a lot of technical information, for me anyway.
    Antenna Point and other apps like it gives the user the basic information that they need and where to aim their antenna. With Antenna Point yout can touch the tower icon and it will show you what the associated main tv station is. A lot of other stations are piggyback off of the same towers.
    If old_rookie uses it he can see where the towers are in relation to his location
    and better judge if the mountains that he can see will be a problem for him.
    Like you said he can buy an antenna and return it if it doesn't work.
    I bought my antenna at Best Buy in Montana and they were helpful with getting a good antenna for my situation. I also bought an antenna that sits on top of our daughter's tv, it's a bar type and it looks like the tv came with it. They helped us pick that one out also. She canceled her cable TV also. She's in Montana.

13. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,563
    When we moved to the mountains I was happy to find Direct TV/AT&T (they had just joined forces) was over $100 less than Cox. Direct TV handles the TV and AT&T is the internet and landline. The reception was flawless and I didn't have a complaint. Twoish years later the price is now the same as Cox was. They dropped the one channel I told my saleman they had to have for me to order their service - beIN Sports for my MotoGP races. The signal which was perfect now drops semi regularly. Our internet which concerned me at first I was thrilled with - it has now slowed to a crawl. Morena Village is in a grand hole I can guaranty won't get an antenna signal. I watch mainly sports and Turner Classic Movies. So here we are. There are a couple companies claiming we can get high speed internet out here with them but there is always that little asterisk that says "Your speed may vary". Yeah, I bet it will. So not sure how Roku, and Netflix, and those type services would work. It appears we are permanently bent over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    I tried the antenna point app - it just shows the direction to point to but there is a mountain directly in that path. Makes me think it doesn't take topography into determining the best location or direction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,957
    Name:
    Larry M
    Your right, it just shows you where the towers are located in relation to your location. There are icons on the bottom of the app to play around with.
    When I frist played around with my antenna I just sat it on a lawn chair in the driveway and was able to receive channels. The San Pasqual Valley area isn't exactly flat.
    Best Buy will give you your money back.
    The one in Montana was very helpful, the person that I talked to there said that he lives in a mountain area and suggested that I buy the antenna that I have.
    When we frist moved here and tv was analog I installed a very tall motorized antenna but the reception still wasn't that good. So we went with cable then satellite TV. Now with the digital antennas the pictures are great.
    We had a Cox technician come out to our house to work on our security system and he said that the picture on the tv was excellent for the area that we live in.
    I just had to show him the tv picture. LOL
    I'm not pushing people to buy the same antenna that I have, just passing on information. If you have a small portable tv hook it up to the antenna and play around with the antenna location then scan for channels. If it doesn't work then no harm no foul

16. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    True. Just have a lot of other projects/stuff/work going on that it becomes a low priority.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,957
    Name:
    Larry M
    I agree, I have a garage full of projects that I plan to do. Never ending yard work, etc.
    Have a good one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    I was afraid of this at my house, too. For some reason, the Cox internet in my area is super slow. Must be old infrastructure. I upgraded my wireless router to a Mesh system so the signal is as strong as it can be in all corners of my little house. Even with my slow internet, the Roku streams HD content from all apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, etc.) without issue. While fast internet is ideal for this content, it still works with my slower speeds.

If I can get it to work, I will try to run the program that shows Upload/Download speeds when I get home tonight so you can compare it with your speeds on AT&T.

19. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,957
    Name:
    Larry M
    We were having problems with our Ring door bell and had Geek Squad come out to look at it. He had a mobile app that showed the speed. We weren't getting the speed at the door bell that we were paying for.
    We had Cox come out and he checked things out. We had Direct TV cables hooked up to the modern and router.
    He changed out the cables to a better quality and everything works fine now

20. plako

plako Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Check at Internet Speed Test - Test internet speed - WhatIsMyIP.com® preferably with a line-connected device to bypass the speed limitation of your WiFi. We are getting typical downloads above 100 MBi. The type of your cable modem matters a lot, must be not obsolete. Our is integrated with a router and provider is COX.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.