ARRRRGGGH !

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by weldon, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,480
    We had Cox living in arizona, internet only as the apartment complex we lived in provided 100 channels of cable as part of our rent. Always had problems with them cutting out, and paid $60 10 years ago for it. Had a billing dispute when we moved, so we switched to AT&T out here. Paying less now than we were then, double the internet speed, and have had one service outage that lasted less than 10 minutes. Been 5 years. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime which we stream through my PS4. If I want to watch something on cable, I head over to my in-laws a mile away and watch their Dish service lol,

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    Question about AT&T internet. Is it satellite? Does it run through the same cables as your utility (cox/spectrum/etc.)? Never understood how it gets to your house.

3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,793
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Before all this cable stuff it used to fly through the air and down my 2-lead antenna wire. Never understood any of it! Good thing my understanding is not a prerequisite for enjoying the result!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,228
    Depending on where you live;
    The most common method is fiber to neighborhood where the backbone is completely digital fiber optic and then branches the final leg over existing copper into the home. They may use a physical amplifier to boost speeds.

Verizon installed Fiber to Curb in my neighborhood a few years back and then replaced my copper with fiber into the house.

5. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    Daaaang! How can I get on the list for them to do my house next??? Pretty sure our area hasn't been upgraded since they laid the pavement back in the '80s.

6. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,480
    Mine runs through fiber. I am doubly lucky in that the box is 400ft down my alley. Makes for nice strong connectivity lol

7. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,861
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    We have AT+T...they wanted to raise it to$160..I called and yelled at 5 different people..got it down to $120! They called me back and asked if $75 would be ok! I said I guess so..hilarious! I didn't believe it til I got the next bill! Give it a shot!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,563
    I think it's actually DSL out here in the sticks. (I didn't think that still existed) They didn't tell me that but when I was looking at the diagnostic info not long ago it said DSL. That's why my roommate is looking at some of the satellite services. We have a land line we are about to cancel because the price tripled in the two years we've been here.

9. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,228
    A lot of customers don’t realize that their final delivery is still over existing copper. DSL is still pretty common across the country, its all location and distance...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.