Artificial Baits in Mission Bay

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by smitty2124, May 17, 2018.

1. smitty2124

smitty2124 Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Hey all!

I'm new to the forum and am looking for some advice! I live in AZ and come out to SD regularly to fish Mission and SD bay. In the past I have always just fished from the shore using squid on a Carolina rig or a plastic swim bait and did pretty well with the spotties and rays. I recently got a vibe kayak and will now be more mobile with my fishing! I fish a lot in az and only use artificial baits for LMB. I was wondering what types of artificial baits are used in the salt water application. I have a lot of experience with t-rigs, jigs, drop shot, and Carolina rigs, but never in a saltwater application. How different are the presentations and riggings? Any help is appreciated! Not looking for any secret spots or baits, just some general knowledge for a novice salt water angler!

Thanks guys and tight lines!

2. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,994
    Whatever you do in FW will work in SW. Seriously. One of my favorite ways to fish from on the water is to cast back towards the shore, dragging it back through the weedbeds. The other way is casting along the weedbeds on the outer portion of them, working your bait parallel to the shore.
    Anything 3"-5" that has a curltail will almost always produce. Paddletails will get the job done as well, but my go to will always be the curltail. Paddletails are baits that need to keep moving to get the attention of fish, whereas curltail still can have a little action deadsticked, at least better action than paddletails. Never rule out crankbaits. Anything that dives 6'-10' works great in MB.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • List
  3. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,379
    Most of the lures you are using to catch freshwater bass will also work for catching bass in the bays. Spooks, spoons, jerkbaits, crankbaits, weedless plastics, a-rigs, c-rig, t-rig, etc., etc. They will all work. Don't over think it because it's saltwater. If you can catch bass in freshwater you can catch them in salt as well, and using many of the same techniques.

Edit: Kevin beat me to it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  4. fishinmike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,040
    Boat:
    Pro angler
    Welcome to the team! Now I am not the “Coach”, but if you fished LMB you probably have enough in your tackle box already. My confidence bait is the curly tail grub 3” to 4”. Colors - motor oil w/ red flakes, clear with red flakes, and chartreuse with a brown back. Round jig heads 1/4-1/2 oz depending on current. I twitch “sluggo” type baits with good success. Caught fish recently on a jig/craw and reaper with a scrounger head.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,269
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    My favorite is the 3 inch big hammer swim bait in the smelt color. Have caught some legal at Shelter island on that. Also the white linker grub from Walmart on a drop shot setup works as well.

6. zoner

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,345
    Name:
    Mike
    my standard rig in Mission Bay is a 3-4" single tail grub t-rigged with a #1 or #1/0 ewg hook, a small bead, and a 3/8 worm sinker. Green,brown,orange are the colors.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. smitty2124

smitty2124 Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Wow what a flurry of responses!! Thanks guys I REALLY appreciate the help! I have so much freshwater stuff, im glad to hear that I can throw it in salt and it will work! I pretty much have the spotties and calicos dialed in, just need to learn to hook into some halibut! That's my goal fish this next round since I've yet to hook into one..

8. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,095
    I’ve caught a few on those scrounges they always produce for me why I don’t fish them more I don’t know but I have used paddle tails on them so I’m going to try them with curly tails, do use the snaps that come on them or do you tie straight tothe hook?

9. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,379
    smitty2124 There are pictures on these forums, as well as pictures and videos online, of people catching corvina and halibut using a Spro Rat. I have also heard of people catching spotties with senkos, and I remember someone winning one of the shore pounders with a crawbug. So yes, many freshwater lures really do work in salt. Obviuosly some are better than others - like any lure - but don't let someone convince you otherwise.

10. fishinmike

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,040
    Boat:
    Pro angler
    I use the snaps. Next time out I think try the wacky jig heads with the reaper or paddle tail, they have the pivoting hook.

11. smitty2124

smitty2124 Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Halibut will hit a top water lure?? lol that's awesome!!

12. zoner

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,345
    Name:
    Mike
    some kind of plastic bait 3-3 1/2" long fished on the bottom will catch spotted bass

13. daytonfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +548
    Name:
    Dayton
    Boat:
    Pelican Striker 100x
    not sure how well this works in MB but I use a fluke 2"-4" rigged either drop shot or a small darter head, white seems to work pretty well for halibut.

14. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,386
    Boat:
    3 too many
    If you want my title, I would give it to you if I could ... Let me know if you're up for the attempt.. Lol

One time I was fishing De Anza Cove, for bat rays, and this guy walks up baitcaster in hand, looks at my conventional gear and asks me what I'm fishing for. Told the guy there had been some 200 pound class bat rays moving through about sunset. He gave me a very odd look and told me there were no stingrays in freshwater that he ever heard of. The dude starts reeling in, and hangs a real nice spottie, maybe 15 inches, tells me he has caught three of these weird looking bass and they all have teeth. I try to explain to him that he is fishing saltwater as he struggles to unhook the thing. He just doesn't get it (I was 15 at the time and he was maybe 30, so probably just thought I was full of it, or pulling his chain). Swear to you, he was using a 5 to 6 inch, purple curl tail worm Texas rigged and doing well for himself.. Saltwater bass eat anything
    Edit: hope he at least rinsed out his reel..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. fishingap

fishingap Active Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Welcome on board. Just answered this in another thread: "we've put together some fishing spots around the bay at Hot Fishing Spots by FishingAP. It's still under construction, but if you click on a fishing spot on the page and a specie you're interested in, it'll bring you to a page on the methods that worked for us."

16. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,095
    I thought we met before haha