Artificial lure - that mean the lure is not a real lure ?

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by spoonminnow, Aug 30, 2019.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    With all the misinformation fishing media has hyped over the decades, I read or hear about the use of artificial lures. Here's a quote:
    (note words in bold)

Artificial flowers I get because we assume flowers to be copied using some material such as plastic or wax. But a lure is a lure - period ! It lures fish to bite (though I prefer provokes fish to bite). Imitating prey is something most lures don't do but instead stimulate one or more senses within close proximity to a fish.

Attractive in my book means kinda nice to look at - not tempt to attack.

IMO artificial as an adjective should not be applied to fishing lures which have their own categories - all of which are somewhat descriptive of a lure's actio, not what it imitates.

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,343
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Artificial I would have to say are meant to imitate . I know that certain areas don't allow the use of scents or oils that are made of the usual bait products , some plastics that are infused are also a no no in some ARTIFICAL ONLY areas . I guess that once you add the enhancement to the lure it becomes bait . Interesting subject . WR

3. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,473
    Creature baits, craws, lizards, shads, flukes, senkos, crank baits......I think there's plenty of lures/baits out there that imitate forage. Many quite impressively.

4. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    I've used all of them and can't see the likeness in shape or action to anything alive - wide bill, deep dive crankbaits and artificial worms especially. Creature baits in my book include all the lures you mentioned in that fish don't/can't recognize what a lure is supposed to imitate - though flukes are somewhat closer to some kind of fish the way it darts.

If a lure's success was rated by how well it imitates a prey animal and unless the thing had microcircuits and robotic parts, no lure qualifies as an imitator. My guess is that a fish attacks a lure most of the time because it can and not to eat it. The real thing (prey)- a different story.

#4 spoonminnow, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  5. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,473
    I have to respectfully disagree with you here. I think you're giving bass a little too much credit on their intelligence.

As with your opinion, which should be taken as such, Ill give mine. Let's take the yamamoto psycho dad, and the huddleston craw for example. Both imitate craws extremely well. The yamamoto has air injection in the claws which represents the craws defensive stance. The huddleston craw is a direct mold of a crawfish. A bait/imitation doesnt have to have EXACT action of its natural counterpart to trick the bass into thinking its the real thing in my opinion. Saying what a bass 'wants' and 'can' do as far as eating is and endless debate.

I respect your opinion and your insights as always. However, opinions are just that.

#5 Nute, Aug 30, 2019
  6. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    Just the opposite. A brain would have to have even a basic IQ to recognize something and then based on recognition decide whether to eat it. Fact is that there are far more unnatural looking/acting luires than your examples and even those examples are from a human's point of view - not necessarily a fish's. There will always be conjecture why fish strike lures. My opinion focuses on lure action, size, presentation and maybe color - never needing to imitate any animal - if that were possible or even necessary.

These catch fish as well as if not better than supposed imitators that in reality look nor act like anything that ever lived:
    AKwomrm.jpg QIm4gHX.jpg
    5ADVXF5.jpg c2GijuF.jpg
    tjMaT3i.jpg 0IAJx3l.jpg DgO1xfH.jpg

Seeing as how fish strike the above that are unrecognizable, shouldn't that apply to all lures fish strike? Imagination that humans possess is not something fish possess and most lures that imitate an animal would require a lot of fish imagination to suggest they are fooled into believing something is a particular animal that may or may not be normally included in their usual diet.

#6 spoonminnow, Aug 30, 2019
  7. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,473
    Agreed. It is human perception as to what's effective or not. The debate goes on. I do think you're on to something for sure, but it's not the end all be all by any means. Just a (much appreciated by the way) observation and experimentation.

I do agree with you on many artificial lures not really representing anything in the natural forage arena. Take an Ika for example. What the heck are they supposed to represent? Ill tell you what though, countless 4,5,6,7' and a 10.4lber tells me I really dont care what or if it represents anything.

8. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    Color me envious! My largest fish this year was a 7.5 lb channel catfish caught on a cone tail grub design I discovered by accident. (that catches all fish species)
    N0dqucK.jpg

What was it thinking !!! LOL

9. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,473
    ^^^ We need to get you down here to SD bud. Im sure there's plenty of guys, myself included that would love to take you to our ponds.

10. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    Yeah, then I can visit my cousins in El Cajon. Haven't seen them in a decade. Great memories rabbit hunting in them hills with my uncle. Too bad he never took me fishing.

11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,301
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Bait vs lure.. interesting. I find it pretty amazing how I have one murky spot I fish for catfish and sometimes throw a spinnerbait or whatever when I wait for my line to take off.. I often catch more bass on chunks of bonito or shrimp than on the spinnerbait in the dark water

12. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,650
    In the phrase "artificial baits or lures," the adjective "artificial" modifies "lure." A good copy editor would have rewritten it to read "lures or artificial baits" to eliminate any redundancy.

The late Doug Hannon defined "lure" when he said, "A spinnerbait is like airplane food. It doesn't look like food but you'd not only eat it, you'd eat it in front of someone else." Or something like that.

13. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    Good point carpkiller !

Amazing the amount of misinformation believed without question to sell tackle. I believe a new way to sell lures may be on the horizon that focuses on fish sensing what a lure does rather than what it represents. Here are a few examples:

Our spinnerbait with its very large willow leaf blade not only adds to skirt and trailer flutter, but its extremely bright flash incenses bass to strike.

Tapered tails and thin design make our Wacky Mini-Stick quiver like crazy on the drop or on a horizontal retrieve which excels at getting lethargic fish to attack. Note the ringed center that adds to the flex & quiver as well as texture that fish are sensitive to, irritating fish to stop its infernal wiggle! Stare at the video long enough and even you would want to smash the screen:
    TKVaq9Z.gif

Comes in colors that contrast well with any background though clear plastic sticks do as well:
    7VPxyx6.jpg
    Also sold in a quivering mini size that panfish can't ignore:
    EgVNrnh.jpg UVW21j6.jpg

Our Stubby Tail Grub waddles & darts like crazy on a slow retrieve - forcing fish to want to stop the racket their lateral line can't but help detect. This unique design is attacked by all species when rigged on a light jighead:
    Df7yf2l.jpg KBtkPoA.jpg J2aAd1O.jpg
    ...including this 7 1/2 lb. channel catfish :
    N0dqucK.jpg

A fat stubby tail is also sold for low light conditions, pushing even more water:
    KJchfFp.jpg AKwomrm.jpg

Advertising a lure's potential based on what forage it simulates to fish, ignores the differences between same type lures - all of which are supposed to do the same thing, but only some of which excel based on many factors. A pro angler may carry four tackle boxes filled with lures, but how many never get used? Of those that are cast, what are the reasons a pro chooses them? Bet it's not because of what forage they simulate oft quoted of him in the media.

But one thing that caught my attention in the latest Bassmaster issue: they mentioned reaction strikes and anglers goading fish to strike. Interesting in that most of the issue was chock full of articles selling lures based on what they simulated quoting pro bass anglers. The words in bold mean more to me than most of the BS Bassmaster prints on a monthly basis.

#13 spoonminnow, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  14. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,006
    The Senko... has no head, has no real tail. Just a big chunk of slug blob plastic rubber crap. I remember looking at those hanging on the wall at the tackle shop and shaking my head. What would a fish possibly think this is ? It’ll scare a fish half to death if nothing else. I gave up on trying to figure out why a fish eats / attacks any given lure after the Senko craze took off. And Wacky rigged no less ! I could see a fish maybe eating one of these by accident, but it’s no accident, for some reason bass seem to engulf these things like candy on a regular basis. Senko is the number one selling lure in the world ( according to Roland Martin ).

15. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +927
    " Senko is the number one selling lure in the world ( according to Roland Martin "
    Is he selling them too ?! :emoji_smiley:

Seriously though, the Senko's success is because of two ingredients:
    1. a soft plastic formula no one has copied that adds softness and weight producing:
    2. a unique action on the drop: rotating tips and body wobble all the way to the bottom.

Believe or not, but the tapered mini-sticks under and including the video in my post above do the same exact thing as long as a ball head jig is stuck in the middle. Gary's superb stick action is now something I've copied and catch fish of all species on it. But one other thing mini sticks can do a Senko can't: when retrieved horizontal to the bottom, is a fast flutter of both arms on either side of the jig that gets a reaction strike. It works!!

Any great classic lure possesses an action that fish's senses are stimulated by just the right amount causing the fish to take notice, focus and then attack. Everything else is advertising.

#15 spoonminnow, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019