Artificial lures at Liberty Station

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by spicymayo, Jul 6, 2015.

1. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +640
    My gf has a function at Liberty Station Friday evening, so I plan on fishing the channel there while I wait for her. Probably going to be there for a couple of hours from 6pm until shes done. Anyone have suggestions for lures/colors to use there in the evening. Looks like its going to be near the peak of the evening high tide when I get there. I read a few posts on here that say its a live bait type of fishing spot, but I prefer fishing with lures.

Any interesting species that frequent that area? I dont mind dropshotting or swimbaits for spotties, thats always a good time. If there are corvina or something, that would be fun to try for too (never targeted or caught one before). If there are corvina there, I'd like to try throwing something at them. Would a weightless super fluke work? With only a couple of hours, I dont want to waste too much time on practicing a technique that doesnt have a good chance of producing.

2. OwenMeALunker

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +153
    I fish there pretty regularly. I usually hook up with spotties on 3-4" Big Hammers on a lead head, dark colors or red. Ive even caught a few on the t-rig as there is a weedline about 10-15 yards out. Ive caught spotties, mackeral and small hali's from there but have seen tons of stingrays and shovelnose swimming the the shoreline. Ive never tried live bait from there but am considering it as things have been slow all over the big bay for me lately with plastics. GL.

3. DCS

DCS Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I like to cast diagonally when I'm there (drop shot). If I cast straight out I tend to easily get hung up on the grass, so I usually switch to a lighter weight (1/4 oz)

4. Doug_1349

Doug_1349 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47
    LC 110s get bass halibut and corvina out there. I just work the whole shore line and cast on 45 degree angles and usually do pretty well there at high tide. I've also caught croaker and a lot of sbb on rattle traps