Back in the beach / sandcrab questions

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Easy619, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,559
    Name:
    Eric
    Did some surf fishing this AM, man its nice to be back on the beach. One rod rigged c-rig and a flash minnow on the other. Caught 3 dink bsp on the gulp worm and snagged a small batray on the 110.
    Real reason for this post, is I need some schooling on sandcrab fishing. I have always fished shrimp or lures on the beach, but gave it a go with the crabs today. I was able to locate a few beds and made bait. Mostly larger hardshell I believe, and some smaller softshell. Got hit on them a few times but either got it cleaned off the hook or it got its guts sucked out.
    What type and size hook do you sandcrab afficianados prefer, and how do you hook them? I was using size 6 octopus style circles and hooking them through the shell on the side if the body trying not to kill them. I was running 1/2oz egg sinker and 8lb mono leader about 2.5 feet. I think I will try 6lb fluoro next time. But please bless me with your sandcrab knowledge SDfish..
    20200603_062907.jpg 20200603_075001.jpg

2. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Zen Fisherman
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,894
    Owner mosquito light hook.
    I have a slightly better hook up ratio when I go down through the top of the back end of the main carapace and am able to get it through the telson (digger). Almost as good is going up through the telson and out the top. Size 4-8 depending on crab size.
    Likely was perch popping the tails off your crabs. I have no idea how they can do that in the churn of the surf.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Mike M

Mike M Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Name:
    Mike Mendez
    I use a #10 Caivo nanowire bait hook which is equivalent to an Owner mosquito #8. You can buy them at LP Fishing Supply.

Whenever I reel in half a crab, the egg side (digger side) is always, I mean always gone.

If I have a medium size (2 cm) crab with eggs, I simply hook the crab through the eggs and out the top of the shell. I recess the hook a little to hide the shank while still keeping the point near the eggs.

If I have a small (< 2cm) crab, I like to poke it twice. First insert the hook up through the bottom of the crab, then turn the hook and poke the crab back through the top side with the hook point ending up in the middle of the eggs. The shank will be hidden on the underside of the crab.

If all I have are micro crabs, I try to only use soft shells and hook 2, or 3 right in the middle. Some say put them back-to-back with legs out, but I haven't found that to make a difference.

I also use a 1-hook gangion/dropper loop with a 1 ounce weight and an orange bead to emulate eggs and get the fish's attention. I can cast short, or far and keep my bait in the zone longer than I can with a Carolina rig. My Carolina rig eventually tangles. I keep a slight tension on the line and when my rod tip pops slack, or bounces, I wind and set the hook.

I also made my own catcher from a Lowe's plastic crate and 3/4 schedule 40 PVC pipe.

I hope you get more hookups!

Gangion.jpg Milk Crate Rake.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  4. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,559
    Name:
    Eric
    Back at it this morning. Walked up to the beach at 5:45 and saw a nice looking hole. Threw the gulp worms in there, nada. Lots of salad on shore and in the water. Didnt bother throwing the flash minnow. Most the crab beds I found yesterday were at the high tide mark. It was low tide incoming this morning. Looked around and found some beds in the lower tide and made bait, lots of smaller ones today. Threw those in the hole, nada. Walked around the beach for a bit and found biters. First fish, a small corbina but my first one and first fish on a sandcrab. From there I got bit almost every cast or every other cast for the next hour and a half, so many palm size barred surf perch I lost count, atleast 10. Small crabs were the ticket, one or two on the hook, hooked through back with the point exposed out of the digger/eggs area. The bigger crabs would get hit but no hookup. Fun times. A perch swallowed the hook so I kept it and cut the line and retied. On the shorter leader wasnt getting much looks. A few casts later threw my rig into the rocks and snapped off. Threw the minnow for a little while before hunger and fatigue got to me, hosed my gear off and went home. Today I ran 6# fluro leader and the same hooks as yesterday. Really loving the new surf rods I picked up a few months ago. 9'6 ML okuma celilo steelhead rod for the c-rig and a 9' M okuma SST for the flash minnows.
    Thanks for the advice on the sandcrabs, worked well today.
    20200604_090032.jpg 20200604_090640.jpg 20200604_091700.jpg 20200604_080520.jpg 20200604_084801.jpg