Back to fishing

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Peter86, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Peter86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,271
    Name:
    Peter J Sandoval
    Hello

I havent been fishing in years but recently got this itch. I got myself and my wife a few things (spent way more than im willing to tell her). Been out twice for a little while and got skunked twice. I just had a couple questions for you guys

One of my purchases was an inflatable boat, intex excursion 5. This was the best option for me right now as we only have cars and it should fit our kids as well. We did take it out once and it was awesome being out on the water, although paddling is harder than it seems. That being said I was going to order a trolling motor for it but I was wondering if there is a local place to get one instead? Looking for a 12v transom mount motor.

Best lakes? I will probably be at lower otay most of the time because I live in easlake area but would like to try others once in a while as well. Will probably be doing bass fishing mostly but will also do a little bit of catfishing.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_20200704_131858_374.jpg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,831
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Ok, I have just a few things for you. One, are you absolutely stuck on freshwater? Two, are you up for a drive? Three, are you totally insistent on one species?.. if any of these three things isn't true, I can help. If not, I hope those who know more about it can do something more for you...

3. Peter86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,271
    Name:
    Peter J Sandoval
    No, plan to take out in the bay sometime.
    Yes always love a drive
    No, just getting back into it and bass and cat fish is was I use to do. Grew up in arizona mostly fishing little park ponds and sometimes the lake.

4. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,218
    Imperial Valley canals

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,831
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    spideyjg is dead on. When it cools a bit, hit up the imperial valley... The IV is an incredible place to fish, tons of carp, cats, bass and panfish of a bunch of species ... Takes a bit to learn and you have to be stealthy (serious, stealthy), but there is an absolute pile of fish out there. Not typically huge fish, but tons of them... If you hit the bays, read both articles by DJ Thrillz in the bay section, then read them again... Easiest fishing around SD bar none, with some good to eat fish in the mix. This is also the right time of year to hit the various surf species as well. I fish the mixed rock and sand areas a couple times a week in the evening around sunset if you want to bounce ideas off me or come out and see how I go about what I do these days. Bad news? Our local lakes aren't the easiest place to fish, it will take some dedication and trial and error. That said, some areas and species will be easier to have some success than others (like the big carp that hang out by the El Cap boat docks)...