Bahia de Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by WHEREtheFISHare86, Aug 27, 2019.

1. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +164
    My Fist time heading down there. I am going at the end of October. Any tips or info about fishing down there, and gear to bring would be appreciated. Staying at Campo Archelon.

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,989
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    You're probably not going for Spottys, but a 3-4" Crocodile jigged just off the bottom is all you need for those. Big ones down there!
    Also watch your stuff! We got robbed blind!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. ReddsAuto

ReddsAuto Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Im curious myself. Heading down there in three weeks and can give you some better feedback on gear/tackle and a fish report afterwards.

4. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,140
    Name:
    Kyle
    How hard is the drive down there, are there a lot of stops in which one could fill up on gas? Just curious what kind of milage one would need and if my SUV could make it down there if there are not enough stops. Thanks!

5. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +164
    Thank you for the advice guys. I should have stated I will doing a little bit of everything down there. Bringing a couple fly rods, some iron rods and dropper loop 2 speed setup. We are camping on the beach/palapas. Bringing a small valco boat with a 25hp boat. Possibly kayaks as well. We are good group of fisherman.. Just my first time down there. Roncador are you fishing that fresh dead squid on a jighead or dropper for the yellows? When were you down there last?

6. Baja_Traveler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +839
    Bring some Game Changers for the fly rod - in October the roosterfish will be there - walk the beaches looking for them crashing mullet in a few feet of water. In October I'll be in Gonzaga Bay doing the same thing. Lots of places to fill up on the way down - still no gas station at the turn to LA Bay, but there are pickups at the turnoff with 55 gallon drums of gas if you need it. Pay attention through all the little towns on the way down and make complete stops at all stop signs. Watch for the Topes too - some of them are really nasty...

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,989
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I already mentioned this, but, don't leave your camp unattended. Also when we were there, there were little foxes that chewed the valves off of our ice chests to get the water.

8. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +910
    Watch for the wind from the north, if it gets windy just go to shore and wait it out. I got caught out about 3 miles out one time with 3 people in a 14’ Valco and. 20hp Johnson, just headed into the waves real slow. If you must fish and it’s to windy to go out just fish 20 ft out and catch all the spotted bay bass you want. This was at least 45 years ago. Just watch the wind

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Deep color

Deep color Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +226
    All types of hardbaits will work. The Pinto Bass and Cabrilla down there are hungry and make short work of plastics. Like others said we brought lots of Crocodiles of all sizes and caught all kinds of stuff right off the beach even small YT that showed up in the early mornings. We also snorkeled up some rock scallops that we cut up and caught a bunch of snappers on. Tasty!
    Fishing on a Panga we had a huge Manta surface right next to our boat such an amazing sight. Be ready for anything and don't forget first aid kit and Mex insurance

#9 Deep color, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  10. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,561
    Boat:
    Montauk
    X2 on this... Chubascos come up quick and are no joke -- seriously. October's late in the season, but still... Be safe.

11. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +164
    Thank you Baja_Traveler for the dope! Have you had much success on the roosters in Bay of LA area? My buddy has only got one down there in many years of going. How's the surface iron fishing from the beach? Should I just stick to the fly and plastics from the beach?

12. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,034
    X3 on this one as well. I used to pull a 17’ Gregor / 50 Mercury all up and down Baja, and I had several close calls, and one in particular out of Puerto Citos that should have killed all 3 of us. The wind can pick up very fast, and the swells get really sharp and steep. Definitely pay attention to the breeze, it can turn into wind in an hour that actually picks up pebbles off the sand.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Baja_Traveler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +839
    Don't even bother using plastics - the triggerfish and puffers will just chew them to pieces and destroy them. Crocodiles, Kastmasters, flatfalls, mint/white irons - all go-to lures for Baja. Roosterfish are hit and miss, but they have already been seen crashing the beach further north, so they should be there too. Bring a 6 or 8 weight and throw small clousers off the beach in the evenings too for Corvina, or a bass rod and small Kastmasters or rapalas.

And its Puertecitos...

14. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,140
    Name:
    Kyle
    How different is it driving in Mexico, I would like to explore more of Baja, but am a little scared to drive there.

15. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +910
    Just don’t drive at night and drive slow, watch for the big trucks

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  16. Ken roe

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +138
    Cant stress enough how vigilant you must be with your gear, etc.
    It's gotten bad down there in terms of theft & crime.
    Be careful
    Be prepared
    Stay safe

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. itsyaboysears

itsyaboysears The Young Gun
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,252
    The lady is driving to Mulege on Friday and La Paz after that.. one hell of a brutal drive is right. Bummed I can’t go and fish due to work.

18. WHEREtheFISHare86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +164
    anybody been down to Bay of LA this year?

19. itsyaboysears

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,252
    No but I saw a video of someone dumping TONS of oil off their vessel last week in to the water. Crappy..

20. itsyaboysears

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,252
    Yeah that’s what I believe what they were doing in the video. Definitely was a lot of fuel/oil if I can find the link I’ll share the video!