bait and wait

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by C-takagi, Sep 19, 2019.

1. C-takagi

C-takagi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    potentially stupid question abt bait & waits:
    how long should I wait before changing bait/ location

for specific reference, I'm gonna be down in fiesta island with friends, and would like to know what my best method for catching something impressive (or worth taking home) would be

2. cavedog619

cavedog619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +141
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    Here's my two cents... Sometimes it only takes a few minutes, sometimes a few hours. It can depend on a myriad of things like the type of bait, tides and maybe the fish are just not around (not sure if serious). Regardless, I soak dropper loops with squid and expect to wait. Maybe a few minutes or a few hours depending on the mood. I'll check my bait hooks every 10 -15 minutes while I'm eyeing my pole for movement. But, it's usually an hour or so before I move. If the fish aren't biting, I'll throw a lure out while the bait and wait soaks. I hope this helps.

3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,012
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    15 minutes without action tells me I'm in the wrong spot! Maybe even the wrong conditions... wrong day!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +953
    Name:
    Perry
    Oh boy....these are the million dollar questions...
    Here's a little on how my thoughts go when I cast out my stuff...
    "Ummm, I wonder if the bait fell off when I casted....bet there's a bunch of grass all over my hooks......wow, I wonder if it's better over there.....is the water too rough..." And on it goes....
    Sometimes bait and wait can be downright painful for me. But, many times it has paid off big!
    How long you wait and what you use depends on so many factors.

One tried and true thing I try to stick with is: Match the bait to what the fish eat. Sounds ridiculously apparent, but a lot of guys will fish baits that the fish in that area have never seen. Not saying it won't work, but with a bait that matches the area I believe you increase the chances.

If you're using soft baits, like clams, check a little more often. Tough baits like squid can soak for days.

And it never hurts to switch up. Bring along different baits and always look around the area to harvest local stuff (mussels, crabs, worms, sand crabs) if legal to do so. Even something as simple as changing the placement (High/low hook) of your baits sometimes makes a difference.

Lastly...always, and I mean always get distracted! Seems like every time I'm NOT paying attention to my gear is when I get a bite. Somehow the fish just know....

Best of luck and don't forget to report how you do...

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. C-takagi

C-takagi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    A watched pot never boils, a watched rod never bends

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,012
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    If you are just playing the wait game while you are enjoying the evening doing other things, put a bell on it or set the clicker or both. Make sure the rod is secure and then some!

7. rockzilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +592
    Or pull out a sandwich and something to drink!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Bear6813

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,851
    Name:
    Chet
    Boat:
    Needs work
    For me I religiously change my baits every 30 minutes, after 30 minutes utes the majority of the scent producing viscera and the like has been washed away. I'd I'm confident in an area I will sit on it for hours. My biggest bat ray came after 6 hours of not even a nibble and a whole slew of barely beverages remember its calling fishing not catching.
    I always use a knocker rig for Ray's, dropper loop is ok for smaller models but Ray's feed on the bottom so that's where I want my baits. Cor grinners I use a pulley rig or a clip down rig. As far as bait goes the fresher the better I stay away from the frozen stuff and most tackle shops. These sharks and Ray's feed by scent so nice fresh beats old nasty frozen crap hands down

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  9. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,212
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    Absolutely 100% agree with Bear. When it comes to Sharks n Rays, patience is incredibly important. Even in the late fall and spring when I’ve done the best, there can be several hour stretches with no activity. Even with fresh bait. Just gotta be patient. And I rebait every 20-30 mins. Depending on how much bait I got lol.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List