bait for lagoon fishing

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Savage fishing TV, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Savage fishing TV

Savage fishing TV Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    So I have been hitting the lagoon behind dog beach in Del Mar lately and I have only been able to catch small bass and some round rays. But whenever I go there I see these guys catching huge halibut on live smelt. Does anyone know where I can catch them around there or tips on easy live baits to use for halibut around there?

2. Boogie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +382
    SI pier or any pier on really small sabiki rig. Bounce it up and down. I usually bring some bread to chum. They don't live long in a bucket so best to catch them the same day your going to use them and take only what you can use.
    Good Luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Savage fishing TV

Savage fishing TV Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I've known about pier fishing it is just that the closest pier is over half an hour away from their so I was wondering if there was any other way of getting live bait closer to that spot.

4. Boogie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +382
    Not really familiar with the area you fish. For what it's worth try getting out super early and fish for bait and once you get your limit drive back the lagoon. Just make sure you change out the water before leaving and you might want to get one of those battery powered airator to give the live bait a fighting chance.
    It's all about the pre-planning..Good Luck

5. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,397
    Hmmm I wonder who’s catching large halis there ;)

6. Mike maio

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,829
    Name:
    Bigheat
    Yes please do tell!

7. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,212
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    TBH, if you’re trying to use live bait for halibut, I’d fish the bays because the pier would be close and you can take the live bait to a spot somewhere else in the bay. For example, catch live smelt at SI pier and take it to another spot on SI or Harbor Island, or Spanish Landing, etc... Also, Fresh mackerel catches just about anything. Just saying lol.

8. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,301
    You didn't mention what you are using to catch the small bass and round rays. If you can learn to catch halibut on artificial baits, you have a lot less to worry about. Good luck and tight lines.