Baitcaster!

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Dylan 101, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Dylan 101

Dylan 101 Dylan 101
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,149
    Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    wish I had 1
    My baitcaster is ruined... it makes a bad sound but for only 40$ that thing is amazing. Had it for a year. So I want to get a new baitcaster. THAT IS SALTWATER APPEOVED! My price range is 50-70$ I heard the Daiwa RG baitcaster is good but I don’t know yet.so I just need some suggestions. Thanks!

2. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,298
    You can use a freshwater baitcaster in saltwater without wrecking it. You just need to make sure that you rinse it off thoroughly after each use, and that you take it apart, clean and lube it every five uses. Probably a good idea to that with saltwater model as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,948
    For the last 20 years I have been using Shimano’s lowest price baitcasters for light saltwater work such as fishing the bays.

Currently that is the Caius, one of which I have been using for 5 or so years. I also have a Callisto that is a dozen or more years old and still works perfectly after about a dozen years.

The Caius and Caius-B fit in your price range.

I spray them with a spray bottle with water and dish soap and let them sit for 5-10 minutes. The soapy water helps loosen salt deposits. Then take a toothbrush to exterior nooks and crannies to bush out the loosened salt then rinse in a light stream of warm tap water. I use a light stream to avoid pushing any salt deep into the reel. I do not submerge the reel when cleaning. Once a year I disassemble, clean, and lube the reel if necessary.

Sometimes if a bait caster is making a bad sound, disassembling, cleaning, and lubing will take care of it nothing is actually broken.

if the reel gets submerged in saltwater I will disassemble and do the more in depth cleaning that I usually only do once a year.

Maintaining as described above has resulting in me getting many years of saltwater service out of some “freshwater” reels. I have a Daiwa Millionaire 5H that I bought in 1978 that still works fine.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,540
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Black Max for $50... pretty hard to beat and has lasted me... 3 years now with only taking it apart and cleaning it every couple months.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,201
    take the spool out & a few drops of oil on the bearings & a quick cleaning will do amazing things to what you think is ruined...
    i have a 25 year old shimano magnum that has seen everything & the damn thing won't die....
    Its not like the quality back then was superior to todays reels.
    Makes noise when you cast? Your bearings are screaming for some love...
    Especially those small bait casters, you have to periodically lube the bearings, its a must!
    Don't just toss it just yet, even if you want a new reel...

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  6. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Boat:
    None
    Just because it makes a bad sound doesn't mean you can't fix it. I'd take it apart and check it out. Bearings are probably corroded. If shielded, you can take the shields off and give them a soak in white vinegar to try remove corrosion. Give it a little scrub then add some grease and oil and it should be good to go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Tmaio123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,210
    Name:
    SD Fishing
    I'm not much of a bait caster expert or even user, but the one I use (when I feel like fishing with it) is the abu Garcia Silver max bait caster. It cost me like $70 at what was lakeside bait n tackle.

8. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,520
    I second this. My abu orra winch has lasted me over 3 years in the salt too with minimal maintnence.. 70 bucks for that reel. Abu Black max is the most popular starter baitcaster for a reason.

9. Dylan 101

Dylan 101 Dylan 101
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,149
    Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    wish I had 1
    I’ve tried taking apart and cleaning my reel with soap, water and reel cleaner but no progress

10. Dylan 101

Dylan 101 Dylan 101
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,149
    Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    wish I had 1
    That caius looks very nice. Are the bearings sheilded do you know?

11. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,948

It does not. Shielded bearings are expensive. The lowest price Shimano reel with their sA-RB shielded bearings is the Cronarch I think at about $279

12. Dylan 101

Dylan 101 Dylan 101
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,149
    Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    wish I had 1
    Oh. I think I might just look into that caius

13. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,338
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Dylan 101 I think you need to realize that shielded vs sealed are two different bearings , shields just keep the big stuff out but allow liquid in and out , sealed have a lip of material that makes contact with the rotating inner portion of the bearing keeping oil in and debris and liquid out. Sealed bearings are seldom used in applications of the spool due to the friction they create slowing the spool down . They are used in handles and level winds or rotors on spinners where rotational speed is not critical .The Shimano reels I have that are equipped with ARB bearings have no shields or seals at all . The theory is that they are easier to lube and the open cage allows any liquid IE water to dry out before causing corrosion . I find that even when using top notch bearings like Boca orange shield that removing the shield on the side that you can see when assembled lets you clean and lube without having to soak and try to get the cleaner out and the lube back in . It is tough to get the shields off without damage for repeated cleaning . If the reel you have has bad bearings the replacement would be straight forward but quality bearings could cost as much as the reel did . Hope this helps a little . Good luck in your research . WR

#13 William Ritchie, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Dylan 101

Dylan 101 Dylan 101
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,149
    Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    wish I had 1
    Do you work at a tackle shop jeez. Thanks!

15. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,338
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Just a mechanic my entire working career . Have always serviced my own reels . I have to confess that there were a few in my early years that took a while to get working properly . Just don't loose any parts and lay them out so things go back factory exact . A parts blow up picture of the reels you work on can be your best friend . Tight lines !

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,934
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I'm thinking Master Mechanic would better describe WR!

17. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,951
    Name:
    Larry M
    Try to find an inexpensive sonic jewelry cleaner. Drop the bearings in and it will help to vibrate the crud out of them.
    Simple Green or anything like that will work for the solution. You can Google what people use as the solution.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,765
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    When my citica took a dump I bought this guy as a cheap fill in until I was ready to buy another "nice" reel.

https://www.piscifun.com/collection...-torrent-baitcasting-reel?variant=40028986832

I did a test with it and opened it up when i got it and lubed it and oiled the bearings....and I havent opened it up since....fish it probably 2-3 times a week. Just give it the hose every few trips. Havent felt the need to buy another reel for the bay.

The drag is a bit weak, but its not a deal breaker....for 40 bucks I can't find anything that will beat it. Also, if you sign up for their news letter I think you get an extra 15% off.....so You end up with the thing delivered to your door for like 35 bucks.

It does have a little screw in the cranks sideplate you can back out and all some ReelX or whatever....not sure what if anyth

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  19. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,338
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    #19 William Ritchie, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  20. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,545
    Name:
    Eric
    I don't think you'll find a "salt water" rated baitcaster for 50-70 bucks. There are plenty of solid options that will last if taken care of in that range though. As others mentioned here, the abu black max and Piscifun torrent are both rock solid around 50$. I have one of each of those with about 2 years on them and they both still operate perfectly, I just rinse the spool well every trip and do a quick cleaning. I open my baitcasters up and do a full clean and lube maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Lately I've been fishing a Cadence CB8 baitcaster for my shore duties and i think it performs and feels a little better than the abu and piscifun, but is a little more money too, and I'm not sure how it will age yet.