Baitcasting Setup for Inshore Bass/Halibut

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by SoCal_Fishing, Apr 10, 2018.

1. SoCal_Fishing

SoCal_Fishing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +272
    Name:
    Tobin H.
    Boat:
    Saturn SD500
    Hey fisherman/woman! I want to get my first baitcasting setup. I will be targeting saltwater bass and halibut. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I know there are a lot of quality rod and reels out there that won't rip a hole in your wallet. I am looking for a sturdier rod up to 7'6" long and rated up to 1 oz. So far I am interested in the KastKing Royale Legend 7'3" Heavy Power casting Rod and the KastKing Spartacus Plus Baitcasting reel. What do you guys use or what should I get for saltwater bass and halibut? Thanks!

2. SoCal_Fishing

Ratings:
    +272
    Name:
    Tobin H.
    Boat:
    Saturn SD500
    Another option is that same rod with a Daiwa Fuego Casting.

3. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +988
    I have never used a KastKing product and to be honest, I haven't heard of them and I have no experience with any recent Daiwa products.

What I use for halibut I guess would rip a whole in a pocket, it doubles for calico and light jigs for schoolie size tuna and yellowtail.

Shimano Curado 300E with braid, braid lb dependent on the type of fishing
    Shimano Waxwing 8'0" Medium Heavy Extra Fast

I most mostly use this for drop shotting with a 1oz torpedo weight or fishing a heavier swimbait on/near the bottom.

4. i'dratherbef___ing

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,090
    Name:
    Armida
    Depending on your budget...
    I bought my first baitcaster used from this forum for about $90, Curado Bantam 201 w/Shimano Catana (was in really good condition). But I didn't like how short the catana was so I switch the curado to my Abu Garcia 7'6 medium heavy & caught my first legal hali on it, not shore though but on a skiff.
    Maybe you could buy your first baitcaster used?

5. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,057
    A budget would help us make better recommendations. If you’re thinking KastKing I’m assuming you’re looking at 100-150 for the whole combo?

Besides I saw the other thread and you said you already decided. Or is this a different setup?

6. SoCal_Fishing

Ratings:
    +272
    Name:
    Tobin H.
    Boat:
    Saturn SD500
    My other thread was a bunch of bull crap. I don't what I was doing to be honest. Didn't even need a new setup then. Now I am looking for a new setup. Budget is up to 200 dollars. After I get used to my first baitcaster, I will go up to $300.

7. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,057
    Day at the docks is this Sunday. Last year I picked up a few 13 Omen Green rods for $40 each. I will be looking for more of the same deal. If you find this deal you’ll have about $150 to spend on the reel. Lots of great choices in this price range. I paired one of the Omen Greens with a Piscifun Phantom. The reel casts great, has a smooth retrieve, weighs only 5.7oz, and you can buy it for around $58 on Facebook. I really like this combo and the green highlights match perfectly.

8. Yella1

Yella1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Can't go wrong with an UglyStik rod (they last forever and are a great price point). I've had good experience with KastKing for freshwater baitcasting, but haven't tried them in the salt. If that reel is rated for salt water, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.

Hitting up the Day at the Docks sales is a great idea, also. Good suggestions, y'all.

9. twin22s

twin22s Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Boat:
    float tube
    I don't mind using less expensive rods, but don't skimp on the reel, go shimano, or daiwa a $50 reel that needs replaced every 2 years costs you a lot more than a $150 reel that will last 10. also don't use cheap reels in the salt unless you like taking them apart every 3 months to clean, oil and replace rusted parts... my opinion spend $100 on a quality reel and 40-50 bucks on a rod like the BPS graphite series. every combo I have(20+) except for 2 finesse setups my reels are around 2x as much as the rods they are on.

10. zoner

zoner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,192
    Name:
    Mike
    Look around for a used Curado. They pop up here from time to time. The BPS Bionic blade is a pretty good rod, i have a couple of them and use em fishing Mission Bay all the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,065
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    That’s pretty much my daily driver setup that I use and abuse for the majority of my spotty fishing. Awesome rod for the money and I don’t have to worry about babying it like some of my nicer stuff.

12. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +689
    Name:
    MattL
    I got two KastKing baitcasters for bass fishing and returned them immediately. Nothing but problems. The entry level Shimanos are great.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Bassmann86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +465
    If i were you I would save up and get a little bit more of a mid level combo. Ide recommend the Shimano curado 200K HG paired with a Dobyns Fury FR 734C. The fury rods are hard to beat for the money.

14. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,057
    I know it’s too late but I just wanted to follow up on the deal I found at Day at the Docks. I went there specifically looking for this Omen Green deal and found it. $40 a piece, so it was basically 3 for the price of 1.

6197C2A0-0F8F-4AFA-9CB6-8425A1445A13.jpeg

3AE7C3F8-1625-425B-8D06-2751FE2B2F86.jpeg

In a different post I shrugged off the Daiwa Coastal as “just another iteration of the Tatula”, well after handling it at the Daiwa booth I just want to eat my words and say that it was a very smooth reel and it had the sexiest metallic blue paint job and big power handle. I still wouldn’t pay full retail of $229.99 for it but after a quick search I was able to find it as low as $155.00 and for that price I can see it being a part of my arsenal eventually.

15. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,065
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Fisherman’s Landing pretty much gives those rods away. Even if you don’t go to Day at the Docks, they still sell them in the shop for dirt cheap.

16. SoCal_Fishing

Ratings:
    +272
    Name:
    Tobin H.
    Boat:
    Saturn SD500
  17. SoCal_Fishing

Ratings:
    +272
    Name:
    Tobin H.
    Boat:
    Saturn SD500
    Looks like a beautiful rod! Can't find any website that has them. I don't even see them on the 13 Fishing website.

18. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,069
    Tobin
    How far are you from the Temecula Turners?
    Sounds like you need to get hands on experience & talk to some pros
    The Turners house brand "Californian" rods are also great....

19. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,069
    Did you really have to post that, im pissed now......

20. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,057

These are close out models so you won’t find them anywhere but like Carterantebi said call fisherman’s landing, they might have some left at that price.