Baja Halibut

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by fishes, Jul 8, 2019.

1. fishes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +197
    Name:
    Chris
    Fished the marina near km 74 in Baja over the weekend for an epic halibut bite. Between three of us, we managed 11 halibut in the 18-21 inch range in under 1.5 hours. My buddy had been fishing a few times but had never caught a fish so I was determined to get him on one. He started throwing an underspin/swimbait combo while I tied on a fresh LC 115 in Aurora Black (my fave). He's about two cast in and I'm finally ready to throw one out there. Boom! First cast and I'm on. I snap a pic, release and trade rods with him. Two cast later...BOOM! He's on and this one is pulling drag. He freaks out at the sound of the reel screaming - thinking it's going to break on him and I laugh and tell him to keep fighting. He pulls in a near legal hali and he's all smiles. We manage to catch a few more and decided to call it quits to beat the line back to the states. On our way back to camp, we noticed huge schools busting on bait balls about 150 yards out. Then another one about a hundred yards from that one. On our way back, we witnessed 4 simultaneous schools crushing bait balls. Birds were loving it and I was in awe being just a few hundred feet out of casting distance. I didn't get a good look but it definitely wasn't dolphins. Time to get one of these things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdUZqOoAq4

Anyway, it's crazy how little pressure the baja shoreline gets considering it's an amazing fishery. If you ever have the chance to get down there, do it!

Here's one of my shorties on a Coolbait underspin and Kietech.
    X2Nn2qE.jpg

2. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,321
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Looks like a lot of fun. That drone fishing is something else.

3. all day long...

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +336
    Nice go. That's a cool spot. Were you fishing inside the marina off the rocks or the south and north sides of the main jetties.

4. fishes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +197
    Name:
    Chris
    Inside the South jetty. I have a spot over at Angels camp. You familiar?

5. all day long...

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +336
    Yes but last time was a little over a year ago. Good on you sounds like you guys scored

6. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +423
    Awesome fish there dude! Sounds like a nice little stretch of water you got there.

Hey if you ever head down or have more info, Ive been wanting to do a trip like this for years.... I have been trying to get my truck finished so my wife and I can cruise down the coast and do some surf fishing and beach camping. If you have any details, tips or don't mind showing a few newbies around, would love any help!

7. torykian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +380
    Fat back!

8. fishes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +197
    Name:
    Chris
    Car camping would be a ton of fun and you'd be able to cover a lot of ground. There's a camp around KM 72/73 called Clam Beach RV Resort. It's right on the beach and from what I hear, they have showers and bathrooms. It gets packed holiday weekends but outside of that, there's typically only a few others camping there. I've never stayed there but the reviews look good.

PM me your availability, if aligns with mine, I wouldn't mind caravaning down and showing you a few spots. If you plan to make this a regular thing, apply for SENTRI/Global Entry - it will save you hours at the border coming back.

I'd be down for a day trip, too.

#8 fishes, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019