Baja Surf and SUP Fishing Trip -- And Question About Roosters

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by 5-20, Jul 6, 2019.

1. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,210
    I have wanted to do a trip to Baja for like forever and it still hasn't happened! I have some time off in late July and Early August and I am starting to really kick around the idea of going down for a week or two. Figured I might as well look into this a little more and ask you guys for some advice.

I'm still doing tons of research on this trip, but generally, I expect to sleep in my truck most of the time. I've got a camper shell on my tundra and I guess for that reason, I would probably prefer to stick closer to the Pacific side than the Sea of Cortez, just for the cooler temps and better weather. I'm not opposed to staying in some of the camps on the Sea of Cortez side, though, especially since HWY 1 crosses over to that side in the middle of Baja and I'll already be in that area. Not sure if any of those camps have A/C or if it would really be that different from sleeping in my truck.

Honestly, I'd love to catch a big rooster out of the surf. It seems like the best area to do that would be around Cabo or La Paz. I'm not entirely sure I want to travel that far. It's possible I could do that, but I'm wondering if I could catch Roosters as far north as Punta Abrejos or Punta Chivato or Mulege?

I'm not entirely sure how much time I'll have for this trip. I might have a week and a half to a couple of weeks. I wonder if that would be enough time for a relaxing trip all the way to Cabo with lots of fishing on the way and back, or if I'd just sort of end up rushing things and bypassing so many of those awesome spots down on the way. Then again, if the best fishing is down closer to Cabo and the highways are in fair to decent condition right now, I could do that, I guess.

I still don't even have the least idea of how I'm going to pack a "reasonable" amount of fishing gear since it's possible to fish for so many fish down there. It would be cool jumping on a low cost panga trip at least once or twice if that's possible. Those broomtail groupers are a beautiful fish and it would be totally awesome getting one!

Well, this is a pretty preliminary post but I appreciate any advice or suggestions you have. I will probably bring my L2 Fish SUP strapped on my camper shell rack and a 2.3 Honda motor and hopefully that'll help me get out to a few good spots 1-2 miles off the beaches if needed.

2. Chuck Taylor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +356
    Rooster fish out of the surf is on my bucket list. I’ve talked about doing a Cabo Rooster trip for years. I’m hoping someone can help you out with your knowledge and trip. Sorry I’m not any help. Good luck!

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +35,184
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    My experience in Baja is limited, I have chased surf fish down in CentralAm many times, centuries gone. Nothing is as exciting as throwing a surface plug of choice to crashing gallo or toro. Pargo and mero are totally possible in rockier areas too. I do know that roosters get as far north on the mainland side of the Mar as penasco in late summer, but they are all small. This might give you an idea about how far north the gallo actually get, as well. From what I remember, too, those spotties are excellent live bait for the Cortez halibut present in bulk in the north half or so of the Mar. Take some light and dark plugs, I used to use pencil poppers and broomstick chunks as favorites. Ranger plugs, bigger Kroks and bucktails, with or without a splasher, have been used with great success down there for decades. I would look into getting some of the GT plugs off Amazon or eBay cheap too... Seem like they would work great. Take a bunch of lures, those mero and big pargo bcan break you off in a hurry

4. Warren the Canoe Dude

Warren the Canoe Dude Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Boat:
    None
    The Baja Catch is a book you might want to check out.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Thanks werfless and warren. That books sounds interesting. I'll see if I can find a copy!

6. Pinoyfisher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +666
    Name:
    Mike
    I've done lots of Cabo trips as I have a timeshare there. If you don't speak Spanish, you'll be hard pressed finding an accessible beach that actually holds fish. If you insist on going down that far, go to San Jose del Cabo, more structure and less resorts. Beaches are for more accessible there too. Go to the Sea of Cortez!! Less pressure and better accessibility. Cabo is best in the spring.

All the lures Werfless mentioned would be great. Leave the soft plastics at home. Stick to hardbaits and metals. I bought a bunch of knock off Krocodiles (w/out 1/2ozhooks) from 1/2oz up to 6oz on eBay for super cheap and a put on some VMC inline hooks. Bring a cooler with some dry ice bring load it up with shrimp and squid or just salt some squid up. Those baits slay down there.

7. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +329
    I have the same aspirations as you. I have seen all kinds of reports on the fish they are catching around there. I have the Baja Catch book and there is a lot of info there. It is mostly geared to the bigger fish out there which is fun but not really what I was looking for. I know they have pretty much everything we have here on our beaches but bigger models as well as some pelagic fish that can be caught from shore. Other areas have mangroves and brakish water which can bring other kinds of fish as well.

If you decide you want to do a shorter trip and want to caravan down, I would be interested. My buddy goes down to Ensenada regularly to fish off the pangas and does well. I am more interested in driving down to the beach, setting up camp and surf fishing. Main targets would be big croakers, rooster fish and halibut for me. I was looking more to Gonzaga bay, guerro negro and Bahia asucion as my destinations, not all the way down to cabo. That's a longggg drive. Might want more time.

My plan is similar to pinoy fisher, lots of metal and hard plastic lures from 1/2oz to 4oz for me. The bigger fish they recommend 300yrd of 50# braid with wire or 50# mono leader and a 11ft rod. Nothing I own currently so would be targeting the stuff within the breakers for me.

8. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Pinoyfisher, thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Kesepton, doing a caravan trip could be cool. I need to work out a couple of things first, but I'll keep that in mind.

9. Baja_Traveler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +794
    If you can hold off until October there is an annual two week trip (you pick the first or second week) to Punta Bufeo - aka Mako-Ville. Punta Bufeo is a 7 hour drive from San Diego on the Cortez side. A large group will be there camping on the beach, targeting roosterfish from kayaks and skiffs out at the island, or when they start crashing bait right on the beach at camp. Year before last there were 70 roosterfish caught in those two weeks, last year not nearly as many. It varies year to year, but Bob has already started seeing small roosterfish on the beach every once and awhile.

10. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Thanks, Baja Traveler! I would love to do that trip, but I already have plans for the very little time I have free in October. Now is the really the best time for me to do this trip.

Would I be able to find the Baja Catch in any of our stores around San Diego? I went to Seaforth yesterday to see if they had a copy in stock, no luck.

I think I need to find a 11' surf rod ASAP!!! :)

11. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +329
    Is mako Bob still posting of BWE? I was trying to look for posts about any upcoming trips but I didn't see any

I ordered mine on Amazon. I believe it might be out of print.

12. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +775
    Call Discover Baja (off of Governor) and see if they still have some copies. You could also get quote on Mex. Ins., your FMM and Mex. fishing license from them.

If you want a real shot at Roosterfish at that time, go the distance. Get down to Los Barriles and stay at Verdugos. Charter Greg’s panga for the morning and get out to the light house. If you have the cash ask for Nino on the Adelaida and fish Roosters in the morning and then blue water in the afternoon.

Just go!!!

My son with a monster...
    IMG_9181-L.jpg

Just picked up bait and found this one cruising within casting distance of the beach
    Frank02-L.jpg

Same day...
    _MG_0055Frank-L.jpg

13. Pinoyfisher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +666
    Name:
    Mike

I have most of the Baja related fishing books. Very difficult to find online nowadays. Great reads! Are you looking to possible travelling companions??

14. PMAIXXSH`

PMAIXXSH` Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145
    Boat:
    HMS Sussex
    A friend and I just back from Bahia de Los Angeles and spent a week fishing down there. He brought his Toyota Tundra while trailing a 14 foot skiff. Driving and fishing in Baja CA was fun but it is important to understand and accept the following:

• Hwy 1 is a narrow 2 lane freeway with lots of semis on the road. Be prepared to pass them if needed. There are parts of the road where construction must be done and only 1 direction of traffic can be open for an hour at a time.
    • Be prepared for the heat and wind. We camped in LA Bay and we had winds up to 25 mph with temps in the mid 90s during the day. Bring lots of ice, a sturdy tent, and basic provisions. Some points of Baja didn’t have gas stations for up to 100 km so you might want to bring a supplemental tank of gas.
    • You may not have phone reception in some parts of Baja. Luckily we had a VHF radio in case we needed to call for help.
    • Do NOT try to come back via Tecate Port of Entry at night. This port closes at 11pm and if you are the next vehicle in line, you will have to go through San Ysidro or Otay Mesa.

I didn’t catch any rooster fish but did manage to get some triggerfish, spotties, and other exotic species. Yellowtails and Groupers can be found further offshore.

-Philip

15. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Pinoyfisher, hmm, i still have a couple of things related to my travel plans up in the air but i’ll keep you in mind.

Philip, thanks! Appreciate the info! Seems like you got some really nice fish!

Is ice in scarce supply down there in most of the smaller towns?

16. Baja_Traveler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +794
    BWE is slowly dying on the vine, so most posting is being done in a Mako-Ville facebook group now. Unfortunately Bob is having trouble with his other foot healing from the diabetic ulcers, so he is going back under Dr's care. If he's lucky he will be able to go in October. Dave Sivak is running the camp down there now, and all communication is being done through the facebook group.

17. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +329
    Thanks for the update, I'll have to check it out. Do you mind pm ing the Facebook link? I don't have one anymore but I may just to try and get in on some fishing with you guys. I've been noticing that it's been slow there lately

18. PMAIXXSH`

PMAIXXSH` Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145
    Boat:
    HMS Sussex
    Most gas stations offer basic items like snacks, gas, ice, etc. and can usually be found along main roads. The area where we stayed at (La Gringa) was about 14 miles away from civilization...