Bank fishing @ SD river October 2020

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Vet4Fishing, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Vet4Fishing

Vet4Fishing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +350
    Name:
    Jose Morales
    Onesies and twosies sums up the month of October at the riv.
    It has been tough. Many fish would just come up just smell the presentations or taste it then spit it out. I have been trying various attractants but it depends where you are at on the river.

Friday, Oct. 9th was one of those days where I just caught one. It was 11 a.m. when this one went for that Zoom trick worm in bold bluegill pattern. This worm has performed really well this year and a great deal for the quantity you get in the package.

Sunday morning October 11th was another day of misses and active fish around me but not falling for past baits that had worked. Then around 10:30 I caught this nice bass near the pedestrian bridge at Fashion Valley on a cheap spinnerbait. I got this Ozark Trail spinnerbait for like less than $3 and it pulled this nice fatty out of the cover. Love it when cheap baits work! I put a green tube bait on instead of a traditional trailer.

Friday, October 16th was a productive day in that I final got past the singles column and totalled 3 for the day. After struggling this month, I resorted to drop shotting plastic worms. The river was in heavy surface vegetation with duck weed and the bass were not moving far from their cover to hit surface baits. I tied on a Gamakatsu size 1 swivel shot. They are a little pricey and you only get 3 per package, but they simplify the drop shot process because I don't have to put on my glasses and the swivel eliminates line twist. That Zoom trick worm in bold bluegill did it again.
    It wouldn't be until 4 that afternoon before catching this one on a purple Roboworm with a Spike-it tail. 10 mins later I pulled another one from heavy cover by pulling a nose weighted Roboworm over the duck weed. The weight allowed it to sink into the vegetation a little more so it moved the plants aside and even create little pockets where the day glo tail could dangle.

Sunday, October 18th was a decent day down at the ponds by Morena Blvd. The traditional river course had changed by undermining its banks and brought in a lot of small baits, sediments and water flows into this area. I happened to throw my double bladed underspin onto a sunning bass that got really perturbed and chased my chartreuse yellow bait down.
    I continued down stream as high tide was in full effect so there was a great deal of activity and big schools of mullet scaring the bass. I dropped an oxblood Roboworm into some heavy cover and moving water to pull my second one. 20201009_105250.jpg 20201009_105257.jpg 20201011_103159.jpg 20201011_103223.jpg 20201016_101713.jpg 20201016_155933.jpg 20201016_155944.jpg 20201016_160848.jpg 20201018_095315.jpg 20201018_095312.jpg 20201018_171946.jpg 20201018_110239.jpg

• Like Like x 19
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,448
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Way to change up the baits to find what they want! River fish definitely know what they want! It's always nice fishing without the permit and launch fees!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Tony Vegas

Tony Vegas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    VMC Spinshots come with 5 swivel hooks and come in both nose hook dropshot style and offset covershot exactly why I buy the VMCs over the gamakatsus because of the quantity in the package.

4. Vet4Fishing

Ratings:
    +350
    Name:
    Jose Morales
    Thanks!
    I will see if Barnacle Bill's has them.
    I see many of the recommendations fellow anglers post online but the added cost of shipping and handling kills the savings. And I am a firm believer in supporting my local merchants to include my local box stores because someone we know may work there.
    Act childish but shop local!
    Or something like that

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. RippinLip619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,019

Love your river reports and very cool to see you catch em on the strike king half shell. I have a box full of them but have never caught anything on them so I convinced myself they are a smallmouth bait lol!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Vet4Fishing

Ratings:
    +350
    Name:
    Jose Morales
    Thanks for reading them!
    I forced myself this year to try things outside of my comfort zone. I usually lean on Roboworms, Senkos, t-rigs, and nightcrawlers.
    Then I re-read Bill Siemantel's book, Big Bass Zone, and started trying jigs, spinnerbaits, drop-shotting, and wacky rigs, etc. It opened my mind to trying different techniques and presentations that I had written off as a fad or east coast style. And I watched tons of educational and informative You Tube videos to learn WHY a presentation worked or didn't work for the conditions they were fishing under.
    I still have not come around to ned rigging down at the river because it is just too thick in vegetation.

7. RippinLip619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Nice!! Love the dedication and motivation to keep learning!

8. William Campbell

William Campbell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278
    Hey Vet4Fishing, email me at wcampbellnail@gmail.com and we'll talk. I'm a vet on disability who loves bass fishing' too.

9. Vet4Fishing

Ratings:
    +350
    Name:
    Jose Morales
    Will do!!