Barrett 5/7/2017 - A Wet Adventure

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by amsuarez86, May 8, 2017.

1. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +594
    When the tickets went on sale for the opening weekend my wife and I were hiking Cowles Mountain with our dogs. My buddy Dan had sent me a text asking if I was going to try and get a spot.

"****, I completely forgot!" I told my wife. Tickets were about to go on sale in an hour and we were about 3/4's of the way up the trail. We picked up the pace and made in down in time to try and get a set for opening weekend.

We had Dan on a laptop in Oceanside and my wife and I on our phones in La Mesa.I tried for Saturday and so did Dan, but we came up short. My wife luckily got Sunday.

We had been texting back and forth, reading all the pre-fish media reports and were getting extremely excited. Then we read the weather forecast, I literally couldn't believe it.But we were going regardless. There would have to be lightning or some sort of road closure to keep us off the lake.

We all prepared our rain gear the night before and hit the open road at 4 AM. We got the boat ready and headed for Hauser. I borrowed a trolling motor from a buddy and we found out the hard wayit didn't work, wouldn't even turn over. I am not sure if the battery was dead or if there was a bad connection, but I knew from that moment on our day was going to be cut short. As soon as the wind and the rain picked up, we were in for trouble. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have gave it a test run in the garage the night before. Oh well, live and learn.

Anyways, we found a cove that was holding bait and bass, I got a few off a custom poured swimbait a buddy is prototyping. I was skipping it into the trees and shockingly wasn't getting bit after it made contact with structure, but they chased it out a ways from the brush and was getting bit in open water.

Once the sun crested the hill the bass started boiling on shad in typical Barrett fashion. My wife slammed them on the fluke. She went 5/5 at one point and probably had 10 or so on the fluke. She found a pretty nice pattern on her own, it made me proud! She was getting them on the fall and if it wasn't bit in the first 10 seconds she would cast and let it sink through the brush. I switched her over to an underspin after she grew tired of the fluke and she had a few on that as well. I tricked a couple on a scrounger head with a boot tail trailer while Dan was picking on a Carolina rig with a reeper. We could have increased our totals, but it's hard to put the hard baits down!

My buddy Dan and I got a few flipping too. I got a majority of mine on the TD popper, like others had mentioned they wanted it sitting still or twitched over so slightly. We milked that spot for a while and hit some rocks on the opposite side of Hauser. I picked a fish on a jig while my wife and Dan had got a few on plastics. No fish on cranks or chatter baits were to be had all day.

The rain came in sheets, but was periodic. It only rained steady for a few minutes at a time, but we found out that my wife's rain gear had a leak, but she toughed it out and let us get one more shot at some fish.

We buried the nose of the boat on shore and fished a point in Pine. I picked up three back to back on an Ika working it up hill. Then we decided at around 11:00 we should pack it up. The wife had been through enough and the leak in the rain gear wasn't going to make things any better. Plus the wind started to blow and the trolling motor issue was going to make it near impossible to fish.

We ended the day with about 30 or so, never really found another school of busting fish, but then again we didn't really try too hard to search each cove. I am no pro, but I suspect that the weather and sudden pressure from fishermen had something to do with the slow down.

We had a great time and hit Alpine Brew Co. up after the fact and grabbed a beer and some freshly made chili. That hit the spot for sure.

We didn't take any pictures as all of the bass, with the exception of a 1 or 2 were typical cookie cutter fish. However, I will say they looked healthy and all of them pulled hard!

Side note; I noticed fish busting shad in deeper water, hopefully that's a sign of things to come!

Tight lines, catch you guys on the water!

IMG_2876.png

2. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +689
    Boat:
    My buddies
    Way to keep at it. Not having a trolling motor is tough out there.

3. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,796
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Haha a wet adventure indeed.

4. SDFPRITZL

SDFPRITZL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the updates and it proves Barrett is awesome even at its worst. Good Fishing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,070
    Digging the Capt. Morgan pose. Sounded like a great time!

6. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,399
    Cool report, way to roll with the punches.. The wife on a fluke bite is priceless!

7. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +594
    Amen to that, brother! She was slaying, happy to see her find a pattern!

Had to strike the pose in that weather!

8. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,409
    Great detailed report. Getting the wife to fish with you at all is cool but to get her doing it in those conditions is truly awesome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List