Barrett New Float Tube Policy?

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by wbttk, Jul 18, 2019.

1. wbttk

wbttk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Sorry if I missed this on this board, but when I about to leave Barrett on a Saturday a few weeks ago after fishing, I was talking to a couple tubers who just arrived and were pumping their tubes up. They told me that Barrett has a new policy as of this year that if you tube, you don't need to buy tix off ticketmaster. Instead, they said you can drive in and pay directly (cash only) to the attendant when you see them.

I had never heard of this and I don't want to just show up to tube without tix if this isn't true. Has anyone else heard of this new policy?

Thanks everyone.

Zack

2. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,205
    Only if it is not sold out.

3. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,531
    Yup

4. wbttk

wbttk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +57
    So would you check out ticketmaster first and then only go if tix are available? Only reason I ask is because it seems like it's always sold out online. But I've only fished Barrett a few times, so not sure how often it gets sold out.

5. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,205
    Good question. Easiest way is to buy them on here. Post an add that you need a tube spot. A lot of people get a boat and have a few extra spots because more then two on a boat is too much unless they are kids....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,205
    Now that we are moving into the Hot Days.. tube spots will be easy to find.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,385
    Yea, be careful rolling up without a ticket. This isnt an 'official' policy so just be aware there is a possibility of getting turned around.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. surferjohn

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +516
    Boat:
    Lowe Stinger 175
    True but I have two tube spots plus car on 7/27 if anyone wants to get one cheap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. rezfloater

rezfloater Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    For a bit of unofficial evidence, going back to July of last year I've tubed Barrett at least a dozen times, all of which I simply pay my 20 at the lake. This may not be the "official" policy, but it certainly seems like the excepted policy. I always ask if it's ok that I do that because I don't want to cause any problems, and I've been told every time that it's perfectly fine. Haven't clicked on Ticketmaster for Barrett in quite a while (we only tube). My son and I will be there tomorrow morning with 20's in hand, and until we get turned away (which I do not see happening), that's how we will continue to roll. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,274
    Name:
    Ray
    You may be able to on a limited basis but I can almost assure you if everyone tries it at some point it will get shut down.

It is just the good hearted nature of the barrett staff helping folks out that cannot get a ticket through Ticketmaster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. rezfloater

rezfloater Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks CR, I will proceed with that caution.....but like I said....."I always ask if it's ok that I do that because I don't want to cause any problems, and I've been told every time that it's perfectly fine".

It got me thinking though about when they changed the float tube/shore fishing regs a couple years ago, with the idea that I thought I remembered that they were selling tube/shore tickets separately from full boat tix..... so I just checked the ticketmaster site for "Lake Barrett Float tube tix" and found this....

(cut/paste directly from the TM website)
    "Shore/Float tube Fishing Reservation: $20, plus Ticketmaster's normal fees. One reservation is good for up to 2 people. Reservation covers permit purchaser only, if a guest is brought they will be required to pay a $20 fee also, cash only, on the day of the event at the entrance gate. Maximum of 1 vehicle per reservation."

So after reading that, I think one can see that it's not a big leap for the lake staff to simply take cash at the door for
    float tubers. It's not explicit, so, as always I will still assume the risk of being turned away...and if we are, we'll simply roll over to Otay or San V and give THEM our money. Or maybe just open the ticketmaster app on the spot, buy a float tube only ticket (pay the fees to ticketmaster) and hand the lake staff a 20 spot for my guest. I think I'd rather tip the lake staff then pay the thieves at ticketmaster...LOL... Just my 2cents. rezfloater

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. scheadhunter

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +649
    Reservations are available Thru ticket master. Any additional Available tickets are sold Day Of at the lake.
    No one is doing you a favor.
    If you want to be sure you have a ticket, buy one in advance.
    Or buy one from someone on this forum who bought a boat reservation and isn't going to use all 4 of the spots that come with a boat reservation. Barrett Ticket Trader forum.
    Otherwise show up and buy one day of.
    I have bought boats day of many times. It's all good. I doubt that the lake will sell out on either for the rest of the season. It's hot and it's a lot of work. The month of may and half of June are crazy, after that pressure backs way off.
    Go fishing, if the resource doesn't get used, it will get shut down. Use the resource.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Rigid_Bass

Rigid_Bass Member

Ratings:
    +23
    scheadhunter is correct, the only way to be 100% sure to get in is by buying a ticket or a spot on here. It hasn't been busy lately so I'm sure they have plenty of spots for walk-ins.

14. mikeneus31

mikeneus31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +196
  15. mikeneus31

mikeneus31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +196