Barrett Pre-fish flyfishing on the 18th, 2017

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by born2fish, Apr 21, 2017.

1. born2fish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    Hi everybody. This report comes from my San Diego Flyfishers media pre-fish day. The lake is 60% of capacity rather than the 5% like years past - note the pig's point picture with water color greenish with a poor visiblity. Capt. Louie Zimm and I used two different methods and achieved the same success. Louie kayaked and I tubed. He used a floating line on a 7 wt. rod with a 9 ft. leader and discovered his clousers (dumbbell eyes) in shiny white, a chartreuse, and an orange with brown caught fish. I used a 6 wt and an 8 wt. full sinking line and a 20' fast sink tip worked well as usual. I had results with the coneheads, beadheads sizes 4 and 6 with leggy patterns, a black rattle fly (instant hard hits) - see jpg. My floating shad pattern didn't draw any interest. No topwater action was seen.

We could see that Hauser was full nearly to the end. Didn't get to see much of Pine Creek. For the short time we were in the water we caught the same number of fish - 28 each of different mixes. We both had leapin' bass that pulled hard bending my flyrod to the water. Wish I had a video of that action. Wow! They were running towards my tube and I had to keep backing up to keep them from breaking my flyfod. Haven't had such visible fun in years. The bluegill were fighting just as hard. The bite was fairly constant through early afternoon. They were closer in to the shoreline early and very late morning, they did favor the outside of the shrub lines. . My strike zones were 2-10 feet. Lost more than usual flies. Advise use of 8lb or heavier leaders. We did notice that a few of the bass had skin ulcers. I advise wetting your hands before handling them to protect their skin.

The wind came up at 9:30 and white capped by 10:30. There are some shelfs that allow for tube launching. Didn't get to fish the rock walls - mostly the shrubby areas. Don't plan on casting onshore and pulling the fly into the drop-offs. The shoreline vegetation rules this year. Didn't get to use my articulateds, sculpin, heavy muddy buddies, crayfish, or experiment with popper types. The wind arrived at 9:30 and white capped by 10:30 a.m. Louie had a grabber tool to stabilize his kayak in the shrubs. Wish I had taken my tube anchor.

They should be spread out enough for everybody to enjoy some space. There is hardly space for one or 2 vehicles at the dock. Be prepared to park up top and carry gear down the very steep road.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Bass with clouser 2017.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

View attachment 29319

View attachment 29320

View attachment 29321

#1 born2fish, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +594
    What a slab crappie.

3. born2fish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    That crappie took the rust colored conehead. I haven't had a crappie take that color before. They usually take some sort of light colored baitfish pattern.

4. MrChatterBait

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +251
    Great report with nice pics. 28 each flyfishing with windy conditions is pretty darn good. Can't wait until the opener.

5. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +640
    Thanks for the report....That's looks like a good fly selection......

6. born2fish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    Thank you everybody for viewing this thread. While it is a privilege and honor to do the media pre-fish activity, it feels like pressure and hard work and a scientific research project. Glad we found some successful formulas for our flyfishers out there.