Barrett question for a first timer.

Discussion in 'Barrett Lake' started by dezoutfishing, May 17, 2018.

1. dezoutfishing

dezoutfishing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100
    Hey guys,

My and a few friends are fishing Barrett on wednesday the 23rd. I had a few questions that maybe some of you guys can help with.

1. What time does the gate open?

2. What time do they allow people to start taking out the boats?

3. Is a trolling motor really worth renting?

4. As far is the rental boats with 4 people on it how many rods per person would you recommend?

Any other advice is welcome as well

thanks

2. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,510
    The gate will open as early as 4am. You wil drive on a dirt road to the boat dock where you can immediately load and launch the boat. A trolling motor is very very helpful. 4 people on the boat is fine for driving but it will be tough for fishing. Option with 4 and no trolling motor. Get two anchors. Anchor off the big points with one off the bow and one off the stern. Most importantly, have a flipping Blast!

3. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,857
    I would probably just bring 1 rod per person with 4 in the boat. Just your typical 6-12lbs freshwater setup on medium to medium heavy rods is perfect. The TM isn’t necessary since you’ll have plenty of people on board to drop and pull anchors like toolbox said. Double anchor and pick apart all your fishy looking spots. Make sure you have the big cooler for refreshments. First timers you say? No doubt one or more of you guys will catch a 5+ hawg. Beginners luck never fails.

4. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,807
    My personal opinion is that a trolling motor is more important these days then ever. I've only heard a couple reports of guy picking them off in one spot. Being on the move and casting along the banks is how you'll get the numbers and a trolling motor is a very helpful tool for that.
    With 4 guys casting in each direction it should be easier to get into a pattern, if theres one. I would concentrate on Texas rig senko and weightless senko, even try wacky rig. Maybe have a couple blades going to, spinnerbait/chatterbaits. At least the noise those will make may bring in fish to eat up the senkos your buddies are throwing.
    Should beautiful out there and we all look forward to your report.
    Good Luck

5. 619Angler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +88
    Just to add. Once you get to the dock you just pick a open boat and go. I say 1-2 rods max per person with 4 adults on a boat. It's doable but will be tight. You can also drop buddies off at shorelines to fish the banks and take turns if u like. No stores or concession near by so bring everything you'l need (snacks, drinks, tackle). Also it' hard to tell how steep the hill down to the dock in the dark, but it' pretty steep for regular cars. I would recommend parking up top and walking down as cars have been stuck in the past. Even my jeep patriot had trouble turning the corner getting up out of that hill. Good luck, have fun and post a report!