Barrett Saturday 7/11

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by MattL, Jul 11, 2020.

1. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,486
    Name:
    MattL
    Didn't have as good a day as some, but managed a steady pick of fish and at least broke through the double digit barrier.

Started late, after most people had already launched. The whole quadrant of the lake around the boat dock and Pig's Point was crowded and loud. Yearned to scoot away on a kayak but was constrained to my tube and my godawful torture flippers that I have apparently outgrown by about three sizes.

Quickly picked up a couple bass that were busting on shad over deep water. Then got this little baby boi on a yellow trick worm in some grass.

IMG_1894.jpg

After that my mojo was pretty shot. I was constrained to fishing the same patch of shoreline for a while due to crowding and couldn't make it happen.

Eventually found a dead shad floating in the water and tied on a tailspin of roughly the same size and immediately picked up another bass in open water.

IMG_1898.jpg

Was hoping this would stick as a pattern but no dice. The heat really came in and set its bags down at this point. Was trying bottom baits but seemed impossible not to get snagged on submerged trees. Switched over to a little crappie jig I tied with materials I got from a thrift store scarf and a shower mat, and it was the MVP lure of the day. Caught like 30 fish on it before it died an honorable death on a tree. Fished with normal crappie tubes after that but they didn't work as well and stopped catching bass.

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

Caught a bunch of bass around that size, as well as the usual magnum bluegill and a surprising number of huge crappie, including this beast, which is in the vicinity of a PB:

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

Fished about eleven hours. Probably caught 40-50 fish in total, 10-15 of which were bass. Didn't manage to hook into any of the big mothers on display in others' reports. Got into a zone of consistently catching stuff on the crappie jigs and couldn't really break orbit. Definitely quantity over quality, but enjoyed it.

#1 MattL, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. bgood

bgood REALTOR
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +395
    Name:
    Brian Goodell
    Hell yea man at least you got that tug! That ratio isnt quite what I would have in mind but you caught a lot of fish!

3. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,313
    Some really nice crappie. Not a bad consolation prize.

4. doubletap

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +769
    sounds like a fun day
    but that fly would have got you a ticket
    with that barb

5. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +859
    not necessarily. All depends on what kind of day the warden is having. I’ve had them ask to try and pinch it more on a hook like that and I’ve had them check it with a cotton ball.

6. doubletap

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +769
    yes common sense would say he at least made an effort
    but I don't count on anyone in todays world using common sense

7. The Bui

The Bui Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100
    Boat:
    Ranger Z521+Kickboat
    That sums up all that matters... as long as you are enjoying it. Sometimes just gotta go out and get tugged on.