Barrett Structure Advice for Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Barrett Lake' started by wbttk, May 13, 2019.

1. wbttk

wbttk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to fishing freshwater bass, but do a lot of bay bass fly fishing from skiffs/float tube. Primarily I'm fishing sand and grass flats in the bay, and have learned how to how catch SBB on streamers there. I'm trying to transition that type of fishing to Barrett (which I just got tix for).

Thing is though, I went to San Vicente yesterday (my first time ever to a bass lake around here) and found that seemingly the whole lake is near vertical drop offs from shore, and the boat needs to be almost right up on the shore to effectively fish there. It was perfect for senkos, but with fly fishing, I'd get maybe one cast in before the rental skiff drifted ever so slightly off the shore and immediately the water would hit 50-100 ft. Really hard to fly fish that without a trolling motor or float tube where you can maintain proximity to the shore in the wind.

My question is, is Barrett the same type of deep water/vertical dropoff reservoir as Vicente, and are there any shallower 8-20ft deep flats areas that I can fish on a sinking line with clousers/woolly buggers etc? I'm looking for the type of structure that you'd throw spinnerbaits through grass beds, like on the bays. I can see why such vertical/deep structure is best fished with a trolling motor on a boat or from a float tube where you can control how close to the shore you are, but I'm renting a skiff on Barrett (like I did on Vicente) and really trying to figure out if there are any gradual slopes or shallower ledges/flats on Barrett to make it easier for me to use bay tactics on Barrett bass.

I've been looking at the topo Barrett maps I've found on SD fish, and the Hauser arm looks possibly shallower and gradual like it might be more like what I'm used to fishing in the bay. Can anyone shed some light on how the lake is best fly-fished from a skiff, and what areas I might target? I have a portable humminbird fishin buddy to find the structure I'm looking for, just hoping someone might have some Barrett advice.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help everyone.

Zack

2. BruceSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +583
    Boat:
    Fortune
    Type 3 full sink and a floater. Type 3 for baitfish flies. Barrett is both steep and flat, flat back in the end of Hauser. EP baitsih patterns and crawdad patterns are top producers for me. Lots of guys use deer hair poppers and dahlberg divers when the bass are on shad.

3. BruceSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +583
    Boat:
    Fortune
  4. BruceSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +583
    Boat:
    Fortune
  5. dooolan

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +992
    There are way more shallow areas at Barrett. The region near the dam and the left side as you enter Hauser have very steep drop offs. There are a lot of shallower coves and banks all along the lake. I fished the first saturday of the season and caught 10 on the fly and several bruiser blue gills. Conehead buggers in white, silver fishskull baitfish for deeper water, and black/red balanced leeches off a indicator caught all my bass. Biggest scaled at 4lbs. Farmed 3 nice fish too.

6. wbttk

wbttk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Yes! Now that's what I'm talking about! Great vids, Thank you for the advice, I'm super pumped on getting out there. Thanks for the advice on Hauser, that's where I was looking on google earth. Really appreciate the help!

7. wbttk

wbttk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Alright, now we're talking. I'm glad to hear that parts of the lake are shallower areas because I'm really looking forward to fishing there. When you say you got bass of the indicator, how much leader did you have out there, and did you put any movement on the leech or just let it hang? Thanks!