Barrett water level

Discussion in 'Barrett Lake' started by MrChatterBait, Feb 10, 2013.

1. MrChatterBait

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,088
    As of 2/4 the Barrett water level is at 49.8%. Comments?

2. JJbasser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,843
    come on rain and snow in them thar mountains! :)

3. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,575
    Comments? I always have comments. Sometimes I just have more restraint than others.

Currently Barrett is about 15 feet below the level where it opened last year. There is still time for it to fill some if there is enough rainfall or if they decide to release more water from Morena. Short-term low water levels in our canyon reservoirs are not all that bad for fishing, more fish in a smaller pool. Those of us who continued to fish Hodges after the water got below the launch ramp in 2002 - 2004 can attest to that. But low water levels affect spawn and survival of not only the game fish but forage fish as well. Low water means less cover, and young of the year are exposed to predation, so low water years can result in missing year groups. Naturally, at lower levels the carrying capacity of a lake is reduced and over time the fish population contracts. In the case of Hodges, it took several years for the lake to recover after it refilled.

4. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,575
    I guess what I meant to say is that I don't believe a little low water will keep Barrett from being Barrett. I predict another banner year with more big fish than ever. Is that what you wanted to hear?

5. Big Daddy TR21

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Boat:
    Skeeter ZX225
    Water is being diverted from all mountain lakes to help fill San V. according to the lake Rangers a Hodges. they are also pulling water out of El Cap to San V. as well. Sutherland will not open for boats unless we get some water. I understand it's at all time low 10.7% of full, Morena is 20.1%

6. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,550
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    All of our lakes are going to be pulled hard to fill San V. They have to test the dam, so the rest of the lakes will be drawn down. There is talk of El Cap going way down!! Like years past when the finger points were out of nearly out of the water in the front. Guys, that is low... I do remember good fishing back then. I still like that lake just when the lower launch is working. Big lake and plenty of parking and fishing access. For some reason our city planning for water as well as lake personnel is just not as good as it was when the old crew worked it.

As for Barrett.. Low water helps with the moss... I still like it back in the trees for shade and cover for the bass. Low water also brings them out so schooling fish deeper will be pretty good once you find their hang out. You might be able to post up and stay for a few hours and grab huge numbers this year?

Here is my call for San V... We will never see it full, it will be at the old high water mark or just over that to over the old dam... If we see the old one people will question for sure..

It is what we have, so lets be happy we have water to fish still.

7. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,949
    I remember when Barrett was super low and it was a full on skinny fish dink fest madhouse.I also remember when it was low and great fishing.

I also seem to recall when the lake was at full pool and people were complaining about oxygen levels in the lake.

Time will tell and the good fishermen will figure it out and not make excuses.

8. III

III
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +52
    Re: Re: Barrett water level

Amen brother!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

9. III

III
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +52

Amen brother!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,937
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Really??? That is how they test the Dam??? What if it fails?

BTW, I took a short drive to look at Sutherland yesterday. It is really low. Just a creek in the San Ysabel arm. Looks like tube and shore fishing only.

Come on Rain!!!

11. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,550
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    It is horrible to let the water levels go that far down. I have spoke to many people about this and there can be a balance. It comes down to this....we mean nothing to them. It is just water storage to them, that's it.

I am just glad we had the bass council to fight for our right to be on the water.

Guys, without their help in the past we would have been locked out. Don't take for granite that we fish because of divine right ...one of the lawyers found something buried deep down in the paper work from the very beginning days of the lakes that says they will always have the lakes open for recreation. Without that...without them finding that we would be golfing...think how sad that would be..

12. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,245

Aww that stings a bit. I love me some Barrett, and I'm not a seasonal fisherman. I just have the unfortunate situation of owning my construction company which takes up a 's' load of my time. I agree with fishndad. with what he said, which he says frequently. "good fisherman figure it out...eventually".

From what I've read and heard in here the water levels have been this bad (even worse) before. Maybe it's a cycle sorta situation? I do agree, I would rather have higher levels, but again like fishndad says...If we wanna get bass, we have to adapt. that guy should write a book. Then include pictures of his forwning/mad dog pose. One of which we've all grown to love.

For the record, golfing is awesome. Not better than fishing, but its awesome. Also, if there is any way to keep a fishery alive, I would like any info I can to help out.

13. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,245
    Fully agree. Well said bud. Hopefully things will open up so I actually have more time. We still need to go round 2 on the boat.

14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,937
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron

Nute, where did you get that quote? I never said that. I Know I would not say "take for granite".

15. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,245
    My bad. I just did the ol 'drag n click' to grab a quote on a previous post. Don't know why it tagged you in the quote. That's funny though, I noticed that too. "Never take .... for granite" I have no idea how it put you as the "writer". Got the scoop on the hot spot. Hopefully y'all left some in for me!

16. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,550
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Look back through the posts. I said that. We should not take for granted that we get to fish in SD. The city does not care if we fish or not. I have spoke by email many times and many times I have been told the city lakes are a water shed. I was told this from asking why the water is always too low to launch at Miramar. Mainly last year. I also said if the trout were there you would bet the water level would be fine as there is no way the city would spend money and not have higher water for boats to launch. And I also asked about why they spent money for trout to be stocked in lakes that no one fishes for them at? El Cap ....Otay... nice food food for the bass and cat fish. Low and behold the water came up the next week at Miramar and the water has been fine ever since. And now the DFG stocks trout at Miramar? Any corolation here? Sure the city does not pay for the trout... They do get the permit money! And the number of permits sold have jumped there. You guys now I fish every week. That does not mean I feel the city lakes are managed well at all. I still live here and here is where I fish. And they will get my money.. Even though the electronic machines don't work, there are no envelopes for the iron ranger and finding someone to help you at the lake is like finding Nemo. Less Otay, they always cruise the lake and ask how everything is going and check permits.

Okay.. Enough rant... Sorry guys for being long winded

17. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,245
    No ones bustin' balls here, big. I completely understand your plight. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to have a voice in water conservation, but you said it yourself. We (as avid fisherman) are last on the economic 'totem pole'. There is no legitimacy in county/city economics that we have the ability to change. They are after the almighty dollar as much as we are for the hunt of fish. That's the way I see it. I do my best to be thankful for what we have down here to fish (which is still abundant). Again, point me in the political direction, and I'll do my part......

18. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,550
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    No worries, I just get burned out on the city lakes management sometimes. Every time I go to Miramar or Murray and see all the people using the place for free it burns my insides up. Our permit fees pay for them instead of paying for better services for us? They walk, run, ride, destroy , trash it for free and then go home. I have asked that question of the city and they never answer that one. The cleanup and road work and everything that has to do with them there is paid for by us. Santee lakes has just as many people come and go, everyone pays to get in... Does not stop anyone. If you want to park outside and walk in... Okay. If you want to drive in, you pay. They can adopt the same thing. Put a pay window like El Cap in. El cap does not have fishing permits, they are called day use permits. When you launch your boat without one single piece of fishing gear on a fishing only day you still must purchase day use permits for every person in the boat. I wanted to show my buddy the lake on a Friday afternoon and had to pay $23.00 to just buzz the lake for an hour. No fishing. It isn't fair at all.

Sorry once again... This thread started about water levels...

19. Rude Baits

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +713
    I would like to echo the sentiments of a lot of serious anglers here in that the county run lakes, errrrrrr reservoirs that they are just that, man made water storage RESERVOIRS and not natural lakes. They were made to store and sell water. Nothing more, nothing less. In a weird way it actually is a privilege to fish these reservoirs, and I for one am extremely thankful.

Chew on this tid bit. 12 of the 25 largest bass ever caught in history have been caught here in San Diego’s pay to play reservoirs. Food for thought…

Wrong or right, opinionated or indifferent it is what it is and we have the choice as dedicated anglers to voice our opinion, keep paying fees to keep the fisheries alive for ourselves and future generations…

20. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,550
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I have to respectfully differ here. I am a SD native. I have paid to fish ever since I was 8 years old. That has nothing to do with why the city manages the system so poorly. Why do we have to pay why others don't and then our fees go up and service goes down. why? Because they know we will pay them make no mistake, they know it. Yes, big fish are here. most fishermen catch 3-5 pound fish all year. yes,some catch double digit fish, not every year however some do. Water, yes water sheds are all over Ca. We need water. Many places in Ca don't charge to fish. They need water too. Once again that is not the point. It is that many people in SD get the day use like fishermen and don't pay for the day use. Go to Murray on Saturday and see how many people are there. The cities policy is "pay as we say" not a "pay as everyone should pay."
    Are we not upset when fishermen go to lake and not pay... They are cheaters and it hurst us. It happens, El Cap is ramped with it. No one there to see you or cares you are there. No one ever asks if you have a permit.... Please do not say they do.... They do not. Only if you show up on sat- sun when the sale box is open.... As I said needs to happen and Murray and Miramar. I am just bringing to light issues people don't know about. Or have not really payed attention to. It bugs me when the city talks from both sides of their mouths.

I will still pay and every weekend like have done since I was 8. I am almost 50 now... They have received many thousands of dollars from my account. Others need to pay.. We are not separate but equal... We are equal. At least in my mind.

Personally I am done with this thread as it hurts to much. It is not anyone on this thread or their replies or response. It is me and I need to let it go.