Barrett....

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by carpkiller, Jun 28, 2021.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,616
    Sniveling.com's online excuse generator yielded this: Barrett is not the place to discover your float tube's leaking...it really hampers your fishing efforts. But I didn't drown, gungala gungala.

My friend got close to forty, I think, with a few bluegill and a crappie kicker. His big fish went four pounds on the digiscale. I got ten bass and two toad bluegill. My fish of the day was 16 inches and healthy...didn't get a weight.

We covered some water...

210627 Barrett route map.jpg

Some other guy with a fat bluegill...
    210627 Barrett Denny gill wide shot.jpg

Cranky old Yank with a cranky old tank:
    210627 Barrett Rob FOD.jpg

My first (and scrawniest) dink of the day....on the Zara Puppy.

210627 Barrett topwater bass.jpg

The wind shifted direction all day long...we gambled that it wouldn't be too bad on the way back. We lost. Although it calmed down just as we finished an epic kick home.

#1 carpkiller, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  2. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    Give yourself credit. You got motion sickness (driving your own truck along the windy road), had leaky float tube bladder (like sitting in a bean bag chair) that you had to air up often by mouth, different king of bladder problems (shore trips with quicksand) and leaky waders (maybe 2 gallons of water at the end of the day or was that from the quicksand stumble?). Plus you had 2X the snags I had. Not to mention the panic when you couldn't find your keys for a while and thought you had to break into your own vehicle. I think you did very well considering all of that. Plus we were the last ones off the lake, 14+ hours on float tubes. Strong head wind coming back never died down until we were off the lake at 7:30 pm. And like the trooper you are, you want to go again this weekend if your new (non leaking) tube comes in. Kudos to you.

But damn, I had one on that made the 4 pounder seem tiny. Ran like a freight train several times before spitting the hook (damned barbless hooks) which promptly got snagged. Never saw her, must have been bigger than the 8.9 pounder I got a few years ago though.

As far as the rest of you guys, there are still plenty of reasons to stay away from Barrett. Got some more add to the list:

1. Windy road even makes the driver motion sick.
    2. Biggest fish always gets away because of the barbless hooks.
    3. Easy to forget where you put the keys at 4:30 am in the morning, might have to break a window (he found them just before that step).
    4. Because it takes so long to get there and cost so much, you feel like you have to stay on the water all day and your tube leaks air and your waders fill up with water.
    5. Killer headwind in a float tube; you going there to fish or to kick?
    6. Quicksand on the bank when you beach to take a pee.
    7. Filament algae like crazy; had to pull algae off even weedless lures about every cast.
    8. Snags everywhere in case the algae is not enough frustration.

Don't say I didn't warn you about Barrett.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,616
    Yeah, I collected some lake water in my waders both times I slipped down the muddy banks. Probably coulda been written for breaking the "no contact" rule....if whatever authority witnessed the transgression coulda stopped laughing long enough to find their pen....

Reasons to avoid Barrett:
    1. That fish that put a serious bend in my heavy rod before coming unbuttoned was probably a small fish wrapped in weeds.
    2. That other fish that bent my medium rod in circle and ripped drag for five seconds was probably a carp. But it came off.
    3. You might overlook the wet socks when you empty out all your gear after the trip...and the next day your truck smells like Shrek's Taint.

#3 carpkiller, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  4. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,703
    Shrek’s taint.. lol ! That’s the best.