Bass guy new to salt

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by EpicBassMaster, Jun 12, 2021.

1. EpicBassMaster

EpicBassMaster New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Name:
    BigBassMaster
    Just moved to San Diego and looking to get into salt after spending 30 years chasing largemouths. I have no idea about equipment needed for the Point Loma boat trips. Can someone give me a shopping list of what you suggest for the kelp bed trips? I have pretty light bass rigs (15 pound test) so I assume this might not be enough. Guy at PL sportfishing said 20lb would be more ideal. Should I just rent a rig? Curious how much I would need to invest for a semi decent rig for these trips. Are the tuna trips all inclusive? What would I need to have for these? I assume complete newbs to fishing in general sign up for these trips and need more hand holding than an experienced bait caster bass guy. Just looking for advice on how to get started. I’m totally new to salt. Been hitting Miramar shorelines catching bass but I need to step up to salt. It’s time. Your tips are appreciated. Just trying to learn the game before signing up. Links to recommend combo rig purchase options would be cool too.

2. EpicBassMaster

EpicBassMaster New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Name:
    BigBassMaster
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +58,428
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Come over and pick my brain, or fish with me around sunset when I head out. I have gear to get you started easily enough, as cheap as you will find it. Bring a bottle or a couple beers for me if you like, doesn't have to be costly. I can save you some money, time and hassle, more likely than not

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,969
    Fishing in the bay for spotties is a lot like freshwater bass fishing except the fish are much more cooperative (but not as big). Spotties absolutely love soft plastics and crankbaits, I have had >100 fish days. If you have a float tube or kayak, message me and I will take you out. If not, I am sure Werfless will take good care of you.

I don't need beers, any >20 year old Scotch will do (kidding).

But to get the adrenaline going, there is nothing like tuna in my opinion. Either the most exciting fishing there is or the most boring (i.e. troll all day with no hook ups).

5. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,303
    you can easily use your bass gear on the 1/2 day trips, deepest they fish during the summer is about 80 ft.
    anything more is overkill!
    Your bass gear is good enough for what we dream about every night, a double digit fish.....
    Bass gear can be used for football size schoolie tuna too....
    As far as your comment about newbs mostly on the 1/2 day, not really the case..
    Yes theyre are a few handfulls at times but lots of regulars too that just dont want the trouble of owning a boat, storing a boat, fueling the boat, maintaining the boat, breaking the boat, washing the boat.....
    San Diego 1/2 day trips can be a blast, especially when the calico bass bite is on fire.
    Def a little easier inregards to providing some fish tacos for family & friends!

fyi they all have their own website so you can look around, do your homework & see what areas are producing better number & what species, look at the fish counts, compare the bite for the point loma boats vs mission bay boats, compare the morning #'s to the afternoon #'s,
    Also if you go in the a.m. & it was good, most of the boats will allow you to re-ride at a hefty discount...
    Look-up
    fishermans landing
    point loma sport fishing
    h&m landing
    seaforth sport fishing

heres a compiled link to all websites & fishcounts:

Bites On! San Diego's First Fishing Website!

#5 Slater, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,473
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    You don't have any green bass swimbait gear? I never used anything more than a 150 sized bait caster and a rod rated up to 1 ½ ozs. Was doing well with a 1oz jig head and plastic on the halfday boat. Even tho my rod is only rated till 20-25lb line I still use 30lb fluro or mono as leader for less break offs in structure and teeth.

7. cavedog619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,204
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback 2020
    Great advice so far. Take Werfless up on his offer. There's a reason we call him "Coach".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List